Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 30-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst
I am pretty certain I didn't (or at least I certainly didn't mean to) suggest that Empirical came from Imperator, but that Empire / Imperial did.
Oh OK.

I must have thought that because your comment came the post after you had posted on the subject of "Empirical".

And then you said it "all" comes from Imperator.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 PM

Deadpool : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadpool : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadpool : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadpool : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadpool : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadpool : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadpool : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadpool : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadpool : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadpool : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadpool : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I never thought I'd say this but don't trust Gandhi...
Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omen
A couple of questions for the more experienced players though:

1. I found myself feeling the need to build lots of cities to get a feeling of progression... but is it really needed in Civ 5 to win? I couldn't work out if it was a good thing or just a hindrance on my races happiness.

2. One of the options once you conquer a city is to burn it down. Why would you want to do that?

3. If you do lose the game, do you still get the choice to continue? (Assuming you haven't been wiped out)

4. With more advanced games, I assume you have to have a real goal to win? I found myself with the strongest army raging wars whilst having the UN diplomacy centre built and building the space project...

5. Do you feel the game advances a little too quickly through time? I wish it was slower. I found that I didn't get to use so many units as my research was so quick meaning I kept getting new advanced hardware.

6. Any other tips?!
1. As long as you can keep happiness at reasonable levels I don't think you can have too many cities. Primarily because more cities mean more military units. Would be interested what others think about this though as I'm still thinking CivII logic (never played CivIII or IV) which may not apply so well to CivV.

2. Nearing the end of the game and it will take too long to build it back up, or, it's in a undefendable location. I'm sure there are other possible reasons.

3. CivII this was possible although you stopped scoring points, not sure about CivV

4. Yes. Military solution depends on geography: 2 or more continents to completely capture can be hard work so maybe the science route is better in that situation. But for sure pick on one goal and go for it. Rarely have I been in a position to wage all out war and build a space ship.

5. Yes, agree. Playing as the English gets you longbow archers (I think) and Ships of the Line, but in reality the time whooshes by so quick you just cant make the most of these specials. If you like a specific age though try playing a scenario.

6. anybody?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Eep! Woot!

PalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
1) I just won a game on Prince, and I had 7 of my own cities. I was going for a cultural victory, and the more cities you have, the more culture points you need to get the next social policy.
I had a few more puppet cities from when napoleon attacked me, and I had to destroy the French to teach them a lesson.
As it happens I won a diplomatic victory, two turns before I was due to win the cultural one.
Nice guys don't always finish last!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:59 AM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Damm this thread. Found myself starting a game of Civ 2 for the first time in ages, deciding to see if I could be a benign ruler who tried to get to a democracy.

But those pesky Indians attacked me early on and I had no choice but to unleash HELL on them.

Now I have the entire world at war with me, a major island hopping campaign against the Greeks to my south and two on-going naval conflicts with the Zulus and the Germans to my East and West. The Chinese keep attempting to invade the mother-land but having total rail coverage now I can move cavalry and artillary both quickly and effectively to repel them before they can get a foothold.

And they started it.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:43 AM
'or 0=0'

The Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Not trying to boast here at all... but isn't the game a little easy?!

I'm playing a new game on Prince. I'm the English and there are Iroquois, India, Russia, Denmark, Polynesia and Mongols.

Iroquois wiped out the Danes and I removed the only civ sharing my land - Polyesia - and forced them to relocate to the small islands on the edge of the World.

Since then I have been keeping an eye on any civ threatening me as the global power and have been beating them down to keep them behind.

The thing that annoys me most though is the AI of my opponents. When they attack me they seem to just throw units at me with little strategy and when I attack with my three Ship of the Lines they don't do anything other than stand there and let me destroy them. Surely if my range is better and I'm killing their units, move them back out of the way? The AI just sits there doing nothing...

I realise I can still up the difficulty, but it reads as if it tries to limit me and give advantage to the AI sides rather than increase the cleverness of the AI.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:04 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
i still ocassionaly play civ 2

SaulAlinsky
Old 09-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:

I realise I can still up the difficulty, but it reads as if it tries to limit me and give advantage to the AI sides rather than increase the cleverness of the AI.
This is true. Certainly of CivII although I was under the impression from reading reviews of CivV that the AI has been improved in this respect, but still not all that clever.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceMonkey
I was going for a cultural victory
Let's face it; that was never going to happen...

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 09-08-2012, 05:34 PM
'or 0=0'

The Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Palace
This is true. Certainly of CivII although I was under the impression from reading reviews of CivV that the AI has been improved in this respect, but still not all that clever.
When you consider the AI of an FPS or FIFA for example, it makes Civ V's AI look like something from at least 5 years ago. It's a shame as the core game is great.

Anyone play online? Is it worth getting involved in?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Ex-Connecticut

Quote:
When you consider the AI of an FPS or FIFA for example, it makes Civ V's AI look like something from at least 5 years ago. It's a shame as the core game is great.

Anyone play online? Is it worth getting involved in?
I think it's mostly down to processing power (I would imagine there's a lot more variables to wade through in CivV when compared to FIFA) and the time it would take between moves.
Having said that I wouldn't mind waiting a few more seconds to get a reasonably intelligent AI.
Old 14-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Pure Codology

SE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is here
Geek Alert: New DLC incoming.

Sh't just got serious...

Sir Clinton Morrison
Old 07-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Pure Codology

SE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is here
Yeah, so I'm king enough to accept that I'm the only cat in this caboose who gives a solitary about the fact that the Iroquois bent over backwards for the Chinese in expedience of their own transparently pathetic and utterly misguided hopes of building anything bigger than a wendy house and have, ergo, inadvertently invited a fudging Tulisa-snorting sociopathic horde of Chu-Ko-Nus to our shared border. The latter being patently intent on f'king up my cornershops and boutique homeware stalls.

I accept that, I really do.

But just to let youse know, in the name of earthly (dis)service to my fellow man, that Steam are offering Civilization V for free To view the link you have to Register or Login.*

They are ostensibly doing so because they are monetising the forthcoming 2nd batch of DLC (posted above,) but as I trust no-one and possess spies who confirm why this should indeed be so,) I hereby declare that it is because I am the last hospital gurney headbanger on this dizzying globe who plays the f'king game.

Come on in, the water's hideous...

#prayformatov

*It doesn't include the religious and espionage stuff (DLC,) which I've babbled over above; it's just the 'basic'** and original version of the game.

** I say 'basic,' I have still NEVER FUDGING WON a game of CivV, yet still I play. Yet still I play...

Sir Clinton Morrison

Last edited by SE5eagle; 07-06-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Pure Codology

P.s. Ghandi is a f'king shill and I don't care who knows it.

Sir Clinton Morrison
Old 08-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Ex-Connecticut

Quote:
** I say 'basic,' I have still NEVER FUDGING WON a game of CivV, yet still I play. Yet still I play...
What level are you playing?

For a change of pace (I usually take Roman for the 25% quicker city buildings) I am currently playing as Japan. Warmongering. Going for all out global domination!
Old 08-06-2013, 01:50 AM
Pure Codology

Prince.

*Blush*

Did have some success going for a domination with japan once, but some f'ker scienced the samurai out of me.

I also like rome for that 25% schtick, but having failed to garner any success with them I moved to random civ and play what I'm given to their strengths.

TBH I'm just plain pony at it.

:s

Sir Clinton Morrison
Old 08-06-2013, 03:01 AM
Ex-Connecticut

Prince.... oh dear. I've had a tech win at Prince level.

The hardest/most boring aspect of the game is keeping all those miserable city dwellers happy.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Pure Codology

Do you build the Great Library?

I read on civ fanatics that it's a waste of time and resources, but I just can't resist building it.

Sir Clinton Morrison
Old 08-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Wonderboy

Dan Dare : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDan Dare : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDan Dare : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDan Dare : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDan Dare : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDan Dare : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDan Dare : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDan Dare : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDan Dare : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDan Dare : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDan Dare : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
If that sodding Mr Sulu wannabe denounces me once more I swear I'm going to shove a samurai up his arse, the snooty git!

Tenacious D
Old 08-06-2013, 10:01 AM

HurstpierPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHurstpierPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHurstpierPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHurstpierPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHurstpierPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHurstpierPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHurstpierPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHurstpierPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHurstpierPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHurstpierPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHurstpierPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I used to boss civ revolution. Got this recently and have been toying around on the easiest mode trying to get used to it. Such a good game! Such a great progression from the previous games. Just wish I had more time to sit down and properly get into it. What's ramkhamhaeng like? I wanna have a game with the sukhothais before I go to Thailand in August.