Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 28-06-2011, 10:07 AM

Ridcully has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle
Had Virgin's 50Mbit broadband installed last Thursday. I am pleased to report that after spending the last five days talking to technical incompetents in their Indian call centre we are finally getting a download speed approaching 2.1Mbit and a 'super hub' that now only drops all wireless connections about three times a day.

What galls is I dumped a rock solid 17Mbit service from BT to experience this heap of complete shyte.
That sucks
Old 28-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Back in a Sublime place

Vendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Seen a few websites for the American Tivo with hacks to let you view and play converted files on the network.
Old 28-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
Had Virgin's 50Mbit broadband installed last Thursday. I am pleased to report that after spending the last five days talking to technical incompetents in their Indian call centre we are finally getting a download speed approaching 2.1Mbit and a 'super hub' that now only drops all wireless connections about three times a day.

What galls is I dumped a rock solid 17Mbit service from BT to experience this heap of complete shyte.
ask them to give you a standard router not superhub

Quote:
SABnzbd has downloaded "[REDACTED]"

Finished at 2011-06-27 13:57:57
Downloaded 724.80 MB

Results of the job:

Stage Download
Downloaded in 2 minutes 27 seconds at an average of 4.91 MB/s
thats on 50Mbit - during the day
Old 29-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
VM are hoodwinking lots of people based on the higher speeds achieved versus BT. They are not quite so forthcoming about the high rates of packet loss.

Regarding on-demand, you are effectively restricted to SD broadcasts during the evenings (in my area at least). Any time I try watching HD content on-demand, I get the 'experiencing high demand for this programme in your area - please try again later' message.

I never knew Evan Davies was such a star.
Old 13-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Ridboy, how are finding TiVo? They've offered me VIP 50 with a 1TB TiVo for 88 a month to stay with them (ignoring their sums don't add up and they haven't rung me back to confirm).

Seems a decent price for me based on what I'm paying and getting at the moment but I've read about problems with it on the VM forums. If it isn't a wonder device I am going to jack them in.

Cheers.
Old 17-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
wut

To view the link you have to Register or Login

does this mean if I have Tivo I can stream to IOS?
Old 17-10-2011, 01:22 PM
its true we're red'n'blue

disco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
ohh was wondering weither to switch from sky
i have sky world/hd/multiroom (with bt for phone and internet)
they say i have fiber optic in my road
is it worth switching ? do virgin have a 3d channel?
i pay around 80 sky |20 bt internet 40 phone a month on average
Old 17-10-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett
Ridboy, how are finding TiVo? They've offered me VIP 50 with a 1TB TiVo for 88 a month to stay with them (ignoring their sums don't add up and they haven't rung me back to confirm).

Seems a decent price for me based on what I'm paying and getting at the moment but I've read about problems with it on the VM forums. If it isn't a wonder device I am going to jack them in.

Cheers.
Sorry Brett only just seen this. Kids love it and are watching it non stop. Its definitely better than v+ performance and picture wise and I like being able to search all the channels for content etc.

It's really handy it records whatever you switch on so you can just rewind despite not setting up to record. I'm not a great TV watcher though, films or football for me.
Old 18-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

I'd forgotten all about this. I managed to get them back out to re-do the whole installation including running a new cable back to their cabinet in the street. Since then it's been rock solid and actually delivers 49-50Mbit consistently.

We were that satisfied that we now have TiVo as well and we love it. So much better than sky+ The 'suggestions' feature works surprisingly well and gets used regularly as does OD including HD in the evening unlike Brett's experience.
Old 18-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Binned by Muderators

Yeah, TiVo was bad at my flat due to the speed (or lack of it) and been worse since moving to the house. HD is horrible despite 2 engineers picking about with power levels etc.

I'm sure the box is a dud but having no luck convincing VM to give me a new one.

That said, the broadband seems to be more consistent here but I've probably jinxed myself on that score.
Old 20-10-2011, 11:31 AM

Justin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Spot of advice please from the experts please.

I currently have a BT phone line, internet via Plus net and sky.

Happy with the phone line and sky but internet service is awful. Keeps dropping out and it seems there is nothing I can do to make it more reliable.

l have had a Virgin offer through post and can get a Tivo HD box in one room, an HD box in another, phone line with old BT number and 50 Mb fibre optic internet with unlimited usage.

The cost to include all sports and movies and everything else is just under 90 a month with no installation cost.

Are there any problems with having Virgin and is that a decent offer? Do they negotiate? Will I have lost any services that I currently have?

Many thanks.
Old 20-10-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
Spot of advice please from the experts please.

I currently have a BT phone line, internet via Plus net and sky.

Happy with the phone line and sky but internet service is awful. Keeps dropping out and it seems there is nothing I can do to make it more reliable.

l have had a Virgin offer through post and can get a Tivo HD box in one room, an HD box in another, phone line with old BT number and 50 Mb fibre optic internet with unlimited usage.

The cost to include all sports and movies and everything else is just under 90 a month with no installation cost.

Are there any problems with having Virgin and is that a decent offer? Do they negotiate? Will I have lost any services that I currently have?

Many thanks.
Sounds like the VIP 50 Packagae to me, 90 is a good price but it may well go up in 6 months so double check that as its usually 100.

Phone wise no difference except if it is VIP then all calls are included to fixed line and virgin numbers. Internet wise, its 50Mbps, its very good. TV wise, SD content scales better than through Sky, HD content is slightly less varied, ie. you don't get Sky Sports 3 and 4 in HD. The big difference is Sky Atlantic, you can't get it through Virgin. If thats a game changer for you you have a problem, for me I couldn't care less.

Finally TIVO is better than Sky+ in my opinion. Suggestions and multiple tuners see to that.

Final tip, make sure that Sky channels are HD, if not its another 7 I think but I don't get them personally so can't confirm that.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

New to Tivo here, some questions.

How do I access 40d wand watch their back catalog of stuff?

Do I get premium spotify, how do I link my existing spotify?

Sometimes when I search for shows it says there is nothing scheduled for the next two weeks when I know there are, is this because it's a new setup and downloading the epg still?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave

Sometimes when I search for shows it says there is nothing scheduled for the next two weeks when I know there are, is this because it's a new setup and downloading the epg still?
Spotify you just link your account to the Tivo but its not a great app, you can't search. As a new subscriber you should get six months free Premium I think then you have to pay. I already paid so just linked.

Possibly on the last one, sounds strange to me so maybe just a download thing...
Old 11-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

When I launch the spotify app It says it requires a oremium account?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
When I launch the spotify app It says it requires a oremium account?
Have you got a premium account?

To activate your free one through Virgin read this...

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:

For 4od

Home

Catch up & on demand

Catch up tv

All Channels

4OD

Also scroll back through guide anything with a c in a circle like the @ you can click on and access through catch up on demand. 4 is the worst though, usually 24 hours behind.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Are you saying the is a 4od menu option?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I thought that was what you asked?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:42 PM
'or 0=0'

The Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
No, I think that is the heading. Start by pressing the home button and go from there