Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 05-08-2011, 10:28 PM

Ardent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Tom Waits

Guilty secret, does anyone else appreciate Tom Waits? My wife & kids hate him and amongst my friends and acquaintancies only an old girlfriend and a Swansea supporting mate of mine like him. I find this strange as he has so much to offer, ok a fair amount is strange but amongst it all there is some amazing stuff, surely given the profile of the BBS subscribers there must be some fans.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Shall I pop this where it belongs?
Old 05-08-2011, 10:41 PM
devo

Devo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDevo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDevo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDevo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDevo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDevo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDevo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDevo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDevo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDevo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDevo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Closing Time.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:02 PM

BB Bob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBB Bob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBB Bob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBB Bob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBB Bob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBB Bob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBB Bob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBB Bob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBB Bob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBB Bob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBB Bob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I always like to think we can all sing along to Tom Waits and usually better than he does....
Old 05-08-2011, 11:02 PM
playing 4-4-2

gadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
"Wasted and wounded, it ain't what the moon did, I've got what I paid for now"

Sends me soaring, that lyric.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:03 PM

Kidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is here
ironically listening to a band earlier who rip him off quite a bit. in other words I like him.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:27 AM
playing 4-4-2

gadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I read somewhere there's a guy who owns a second hand record store in the states. If closing time comes around, and there's still people browsing in the shop, he puts on a Tom Waits record. He reckons it's the quickest way to clear the place!

I think he's a great antidote to the autotuned shit that has become mainstream.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:00 AM

Chairman Meow sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkChairman Meow sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkChairman Meow sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkChairman Meow sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkChairman Meow sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkChairman Meow sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkChairman Meow sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkChairman Meow sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkChairman Meow sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkChairman Meow sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkChairman Meow sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
I like him, but don't know enough of his work.

What I like most though is that he is timeless and a very charismatic performer, the voice puts a lot of people off but that's obviously part of his charm.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:27 AM

Jimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Is Tom Waits really a guilty secret??
Old 06-08-2011, 01:53 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Is this the Radio London football guy who sounds like a extra from Eastenders?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:08 AM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I am a big fan of Tom Waits, If you ever get the chance to go to one of his gigs make sure you go, they are very few and far between, I believe he has done about half a dozen UK gigs in the last twenty years (edit, I just checked and apparently since 1987 he has done just one gig in London and two in Edinburgh), so tickets tend to be difficult to get hold of. I saw him at the Edinburgh Playhouse on the Glitter and Doom tour about three years ago, one of the best gigs I have been to, he is a terrific performer, a real showman and had a wonderful band.

Get yourself a copy of the Glitter and Doom live album to see what he is like live, it's from the tour three years ago. Nighthawks at the Diner is another essential live album, one that gives you a feel of what his shows were like in the earlier days, a 'live' album (it was recorded live in front of an invited audience with a three piece band in a large recording studio in 1975), Waits spends much of his time on this telling tall tales and stories about the songs which gives it a real cabaret feel, again a great band back him on this one, this time a three piece jazz band.

As far as studio releases go there are plenty, virtually all excellent, for me Raindogs is his best album, other stand outs that span three or four decades are Blue Valentine, Closing Time, Mule Variations and Heart Attack & Vine.

Last edited by Smoz; 06-08-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:42 PM
thoughtful & kind..

The Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
What's to be guilty about?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Mmm, Flaming Burgers

BBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
the piano has been drinking..............not me

i tried to pick a fight with a cup o' coffee; but it was too weak to defend itself
(from nighthawks at the diner)

what's not to like??? tiddly tom's truly terrific

- luckily here with dutch subtitles wb&cw, again from natd

Last edited by BBD; 12-08-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Pure Codology

SE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is here
Love 'im.

Sir Clinton Morrison
Old 12-08-2011, 04:23 PM
On a roll

sideshow bob has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.sideshow bob has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.sideshow bob has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.sideshow bob has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.sideshow bob has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.sideshow bob has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.sideshow bob has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.sideshow bob has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.sideshow bob has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.sideshow bob has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.sideshow bob has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.
He's great, sells out every tour.
Definately not a guilty pleasure.
Bone Machine and Closing Time are my favs....
Old 20-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Mind your sandwiches

chatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is here
Have had Closing Time and Rain Dogs on heavy rotation thanks to this thread. I know Shane MacGowan is a big fan, but for some reason I've never really listened to him before. What should my next purchase be?
Old 20-08-2011, 10:29 AM
It's lit bruh!

Asagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My wife loves him, but I'm not a huge fan. Some of it's very good, but not much.
Old 20-08-2011, 10:35 AM
From the sunny Side

sunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Blue Valentine my fave album...
Heart Attack and Vine pretty good too... some of his newer stuff when he's playing bits of scaffolding and broken accordions is less easy on the ear... not something The Crystals could really turn into a routine....
Old 20-08-2011, 01:30 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatham_eagle
Have had Closing Time and Rain Dogs on heavy rotation thanks to this thread. I know Shane MacGowan is a big fan, but for some reason I've never really listened to him before. What should my next purchase be?
Funny you should mention The Pogues, a couple of years ago someone on their forum posted a thread saying he had just got one of the Pogues various compilations which he enjoyed and wanted advice on what to buy next, Pogues guitarist Phil Chevron replied suggesting he get himself a copy of Raindogs.

If you like Closing time try Nighthawks at the Diner or Small Change.

If you like Raindogs try Swordfishtromobones or Franks Wild Years, there is also a compilation from this era called Beautiful Maladies which contains tracks from these three albums.

After that lot make your way chronologically through the rest of his work, there's plenty to listen to.

The only Tom Waits album I've never got on with is The Heart of Saturday Night. I keep going back to it to see if has grown on me but it still doesn't do anything for me.
Old 20-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Mind your sandwiches

chatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is here
Cheers Smoz

Rain Dogs is a great piece of work, but with the length (oooh er) it takes a bit more chewing.
I like the bluesy cocktail bar jazz of Closing Time and have a few songs from Small Change so will be purchasing it in the week

Last edited by chatham_eagle; 20-08-2011 at 04:18 PM.