Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 20-08-2011, 04:45 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatham_eagle
Cheers Smoz

Rain Dogs is a great piece of work, but with the length (oooh er) it takes a bit more chewing.
I like the bluesy cocktail bar jazz of Closing Time and have a few songs from Small Change so will be purchasing it in the week

Chatters, if you like the bluesy cocktail bar jazz then make sure you try Nighthawks at the Diner. It was recorded live in a large recording studio in front of a small audience with a four piece jazz band in order to give listeners a flavour of what a Tom Waits show was like.

Have a read of the wikipedia entry for more details ...

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Get Small Change too but make sure you try NHatD.
Old 20-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Mind your sandwiches

chatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is here
Ta, will do
Old 20-08-2011, 08:06 PM

Sheik Yerbouti : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSheik Yerbouti : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSheik Yerbouti : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSheik Yerbouti : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSheik Yerbouti : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSheik Yerbouti : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSheik Yerbouti : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSheik Yerbouti : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSheik Yerbouti : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSheik Yerbouti : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSheik Yerbouti : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I credit Bad Liver and a Broken Heart on repeat and bottles of Jack Daniels to getting me through a particularly painful breakup last year
Old 21-08-2011, 08:23 AM

Ardent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatham_eagle
Have had Closing Time and Rain Dogs on heavy rotation thanks to this thread. I know Shane MacGowan is a big fan, but for some reason I've never really listened to him before. What should my next purchase be?
Try Small Change always been my favourite.
Old 23-08-2011, 12:29 PM
playing 4-4-2

gadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegadford4th : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine

New single! Love this.
Old 23-08-2011, 02:33 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Smoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadford4th

New single! Love this.
From his new album out in October, his first new studio album in seven years.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 23-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Can't re member

Jules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is here
He's one of those people whose music is so painful that any time he puts in something vaguely tuneful or actually hits a note, it sounds like manna from heaven. It's something Sigur Ros do, but their good bits are way better than TW's will ever be.
Old 23-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Si Je Puis

sfera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesfera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesfera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesfera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesfera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesfera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesfera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesfera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesfera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesfera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesfera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Listen past the gravelly persona, and you'll hear some of the most heartbreaking ballads: try Ruby's Arms, Take It With Me, Georgia Lee, and many more. I've loved him since I picked up Nighthawks At The Diner 35 years ago at Beano's, and rate Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones as my favourite records ever.
Old 23-08-2011, 05:30 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent
Try Small Change always been my favourite.
'got rained on with his own .38.' One of mine too.

Just pipped at the post by this, for me:

Old 23-08-2011, 05:31 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
It's something Sigur Ros do, but their good bits are way better than TW's will ever be.
Old 15-09-2011, 03:53 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

I stumbled a radio session/interview from 1976, just Tom on Piano accompanied by Ralph Ebler on drums (well, drum singular, just a snare and a high hat).

It runs for about an hour and contains eleven tracks taken from Small Change and Nighthawks at the diner and has a real late night feel to it.

Available for download here: To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 02-08-2012, 06:19 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Some teasers being emailed out to those on his mailing list

The first email had the subject line "Permission to Come Aboard", the second one reads "I Breathe Better Underwater", both emails contained a photo with the words Coming 7th August printed on it, enigmatic as ever.

My guess is a tour as we have fairly recently had an album, let's hope it includes a rare show or two in London. Come on Tom, what have we done to upset you? Only one London gig since 1987, it must be time for more, how about a residency at Ronnie Scotts?

Last edited by Smoz; 02-08-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:15 PM
43% Burnt

PauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is here
^^^Just a video in the end. A great one, but alas, not the tour that we hoped for!

Tom Waits always seemed like someone I'd really like, but it took me ages to check out. I listened to him about 3/4 years ago and listened to him on and off for about 2 years until about this time last year, when something clicked and I had to listen to everything he'd done. I'm still working my way through, but needless to say, I am very much a fan.

I would also love to see him live. There aren't many people left who I want to see live, but Tom is definitely one of them.
Old 23-08-2012, 08:04 PM

oldnosmo put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalloldnosmo put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalloldnosmo put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalloldnosmo put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalloldnosmo put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalloldnosmo put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalloldnosmo put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalloldnosmo put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalloldnosmo put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalloldnosmo put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalloldnosmo put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recall
Some years ago I bought Closing Time and asked the BBS where to go next with Tom. Some good suggestions forthcoming I took the advice. What an adventure. Often challenging but well worth the perseverance. With such a huge back catalogue always something else to discover. My personal recommendations are recently - Bad As Me, and going back - Blue Valentine (esp Kentucky Ave) and the magnificent Mule Variations, on which contains a track which if ever I was feeling tacky enough to include a song for my funeral, it would be the beautiful - Take It With Me. Enjoy the journey.
Old 24-08-2012, 08:27 AM
43% Burnt

PauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is here
The best description of Bad As Me i've heard is that it's a greatest hits album with all new songs! They all sound so familier and typically Tom Waits, yet still fresh and exciting.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:43 PM

Ardent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent
Guilty secret, does anyone else appreciate Tom Waits? My wife & kids hate him and amongst my friends and acquaintancies only an old girlfriend and a Swansea supporting mate of mine like him. I find this strange as he has so much to offer, ok a fair amount is strange but amongst it all there is some amazing stuff, surely given the profile of the BBS subscribers there must be some fans.
My youngest daughter and son both told me that they do like him after all and this will explain why my CDs keep disappearing. I don't know why but this really pleased me.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:35 AM

Apparently Tom Waits is the guest in the new Simpsons on sky at 6.00 this afternoon, Sunday 12/05. Should be worth a watch.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:39 AM
legit

foetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is here
Old 13-05-2013, 08:43 AM
43% Burnt

Tom Waits on The Simpsons one week, Sigur Ros the next. Matt Groening doesn't give a **** anymore and is just getting all his favourite bands in to have some fun!
Old 15-02-2017, 04:06 PM

Sunday evening 19/02 @ 9:00 p.m. on channel 4 is an hour long programme featuring Tom Waits. Should be interesting even though it will probably be more interviews than performance.