Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Other Sport Ľ World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 30-08-2011, 03:50 PM
No longer a student

StudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Multi-Sport Events (Triathlon, Duathlon etc)

Rather than upsetting the runners on the running thread and the cyclists on the cyclist scum thread, I thought I'd set up a small corner of WoS for the multi-eventers (cue someone telling me there's AATOT).

I've now finished my first "season", though I'm still contemplating the Hever Castle olympic distance on 25th September. I've not put in the miles since the ITU London sprint triathlon at the beginning of August, so I'm going to see how my fitness is holding up in a few weeks before making a decision.

So as the roads get wetter and the lakes colder, does anyone have any tips for Winter training? I haven't been in a pool since March, having become somewhat addicted to outdoor swimming (albeit that I'm still prone to the odd panic to send my breathing completely haywire). I don't have a clue where to start in terms of setting up a training plan to cover the 7/8 months to the first major events of the season in May 2012.

I've been looking at a few duathlons, in particular the Box Hill Ballbuster in March 2012 (8 mile run - 24 mile cycle - 8 mile run, every 8 miles being a loop up and down Box Hill) which would certainly be a good test to show if the Winter training has paid off. Has anyone tried it?

Any recommendations for 2012 events gratefully received too. I've enjoyed a few events up at Dorney Lake, which is perfect for a quick time, if a bit open to strong winds on the cycle, and the Hyde Park triathlon was fantastic purely for the location. I'm signed up to Windsor 2012 already and I'm sure I'll be back at Dorney, but any recommendations for elsewhere?

Final thoughts - triathlon clubs - yay or nay? I'm a quick runner and a solid cyclist, but my swimming is well below par. Will I be humiliated/hold everyone up at training sessions?

Strava profile
Old 30-09-2011, 12:59 AM

as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216
I think you may be better off in the running thread with this as it's a bit of a niche thing.
With regards to clubs I'd say yes if your swimming needs work and the club offer some structured training/coaching. The vast majority of triathletes have swimming as their weakest discipline so you certainly wouldn't be out of place. Whereabouts are you?
Even if there isn't a dedicated tri club near you, you can't go wrong with joining clubs in the three individual disciplines. A good masters swim squad will certainly help with the stamina and fitness and while you may have to swim the other strokes (I'm doing a 200m individual medley race on Sunday!) it all helps make you stronger in the water.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 PM
SwimBikeRun!

Jacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Um, bump!
I'm branching out from single-discipline running into triathlon. Bought a bicycle last month - crashed it straight away as I tried to get to grips with clip-on shoes/pedals. Still struggling! Providing much comedy entertainment to the pedestrians and motorists of Brighton!

Had my first proper swimming lessons last week - the best the coach could say was that I was a "survival swimmer with no aquatic aptitude, but well done on effort as you try to beat the water into submission" !!

Joined the tri section of Brighton Phoenix AC and hoping to get enough training over the winter to make my first foray into an event in the spring!

FOR F**K'S SAKE, MURRAY!!
Old 27-11-2012, 09:12 AM

as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216
Good luck - I used to belong to Brighton Phoenix and they are a good club. Not enough swim sessions for my liking which is why I belong to Brighton Dolphin SC but they will get you on the right track.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Otaku

lanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Currently training for a Sprint Triathlon in early September. All of the disciplines are pretty easy on their own but for me I'm still trying to grips with putting them all together.

Had my first 1-2-1 swimming lesson (well, since I was a kid) last night as that is by far my weakest sport. I need to relearn how to do front crawl after years of just doing breaststroke without putting my head in the water. It went pretty well but as expected it is the breathing timing that is tricky.

Any advice for a novice tri appreciated. How do you guys go about practising transitions? I canít work out how I practice going from the swim to the bike by doing that in the local pool Ė i.e. difficult to practice what it will be like on the day of the race because in practice Iíll need to contend with lockers and then having to get changed in a cubicle and then having to sort out padlocks on my bike etc. In my head that doesnít sound like it will be very similar to race day.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:35 AM

Jammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised Land
Hi Lanepe,

I did my first sprint triathlon at Blenheim in June and really enjoyed it. So much so I have signed up to do 2 more at Eton Dorney in July and September.

My advice as a novice triathlete is not to worry too much about practising the transition. Unless you are an ultra competitive person or basically a pro then you are not going to save a lot of time in the transition. As a first timer it's more important to be comfortable as you transition and not worry about saving seconds. You can refine your transition technique as you complete further triathlons.

Saying that some key tips I picked up were:

1) Buy some elasticated laces as they make putting running shoes quick and easy. It saves time fumbling about trying to tie them up and you don't have to worry about them coming loose.

2) Take time to memorise where your bike is in the transition zone. If you can place it in line with something that stands out around the outside. Also put something in front (a bright towel, drinks bottle, etc) of it so as you run down you can spot it.

3) The cycle is the key area. Go hard on that and you will make up a lot of time compared to strong swimmers or strong runners.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:29 AM
Otaku

lanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Thanks for that Jammy that's really helpful.

I'm glas to hear you say that about the cycle as I'm most comfortable there with the run second.

Did you spend a lot of time practicing bricks prior to it or more on the individual sports?
Old 12-07-2013, 08:39 AM
No longer a student

StudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanepe View Post
Thanks for that Jammy that's really helpful.

I'm glas to hear you say that about the cycle as I'm most comfortable there with the run second.

Did you spend a lot of time practicing bricks prior to it or more on the individual sports?
I thought this thread would never be revived

Get some bricks in whilst training but they're not the be all and end all. More important than swim to bike is bike to run, which tends to be easier to practice. Don't try running off the bike for the first time on race day. Your legs can feel like jelly to start with on the run as you very suddenly completely change the motion and muscle use. It's very easy to cramp up. I use compression calf guards to alleviate the risk of cramp but it's very much a matter of personal preference - some people swear by them, others can't stand them.

Is your September triathlon based in the pool or open water? If the latter, make sure you've had at least a few sessions out on a lake/river swim. It's a very different experience swimming in a wetsuit in cold water to swimming in trunks in a pool. I didn't have any open water experience ahead of my first triathlon and I completely panicked on race day. The shock of the cold water, the constriction of the wet suit, and the manic mass start meant that I started hyperventilating and couldn't keep my head under water. Just by getting used to open water you can go a long way to preventing that from happening.

FWIW, I tried my first triathlon in May 2011. I made the step up to half-iron distance last year and I'll be trying my hand at full iron distance at Challenge Henley in September. Achilles injury is currently hampering my run training but for a self-confessed weak swimmer (I hadn't swum front crawl since leaving school before 2011) I'm currently swimming 9000m+ every week in a combination pool and lake and enjoying it immensely. There's a lot to be said for having a structured training plan - I got mine from thetrilife.com - and in future I plan on preparing my own training plans now that I can see the principles behind them and sample drills and workouts.

Strava profile
Old 12-07-2013, 08:46 AM

Jammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised Land
I did a couple of cycle and run sessions to get used to the feeling of running with 'jelly legs' but didn't find it that bad. The way to make the transition better is to switch to a lower gear a short distance before getting off the bike. This way you can cycle with a higher cadence and 'prepare' your legs for the run.

The swim was the most daunting for me as I am not a great swimmer but in the end I enjoyed it. I hadn't done any open water swimming before (I'd been down to Tooting Bec Lido a few times) but didn't feel at much of a disadvantage. It's easy to get into a rythm, which is harder in the pool due to the constant turning around. I did take quite a kicking in the opening few minutes as people swam over and into me (and more probably me into them).

Sighting is important in the swim as you don't want to swim any further than you have to. I practised looking straight up every 5 breaths so that I could keep on track.

The anticipation is a lot worse than actually doing it!
Old 12-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Between matches

MasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Fancy seeing this thread back - I did my first IM on the weekend but just told the running thread as this one seemed to be long gone.

Put a pretty epic (in length, not quality) race report on there for anyone interested.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:45 AM
No longer a student

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYoda View Post
Fancy seeing this thread back - I did my first IM on the weekend but just told the running thread as this one seemed to be long gone.

Put a pretty epic (in length, not quality) race report on there for anyone interested.
What's the next event? I have the ITU London sprint in Hyde Park the week after Challenge Henley. I like to think it'll seem like it's over in a flash, although the reality is probably that I'll still be suffering from the week before and hate every minute!

Strava profile
Old 12-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Otaku

Quote:

Well done and I really enjoyed the read. I can't imagine how it must have felt to have completed that.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Between matches

MasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Next event is recovering! Hand still a long way off right, in fact typing one handed now with the other in a bowl of ice
Old 19-07-2013, 09:52 AM

Enfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Yes, it is a niche thread but me and my friends as we r turning 40 have stopped playing football and starting to take up Tri this summer.

Just did first sprint try at Box End in Bedford last night. Very enjoyable, apart from the cycle which had to be on my old £100 halfords MTB with only 6 out of 18 gears working. On a bumpy hilly rock hard trail. Ache this morning.

Doing London Triathlon Olympic next Sunday - wave 14 if any fellow eagles there. Made customised try top out of a palace kit!!

Can swim 1500m breaststroke in 34 mins, run 10k in 66 mins. 40k bike in 85 mins I guess on my 15 yr old tourer. Put all those together and will probably take 30 mins extra

Any one else done London before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LXocmIHoVXM

cpfc - strength in times of unusualness
Old 19-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Between matches

Well you're a faster swimmer than me. I'd hope to catch you on the bike
Old 22-07-2013, 08:24 AM
No longer a student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfield eagle View Post
Yes, it is a niche thread but me and my friends as we r turning 40 have stopped playing football and starting to take up Tri this summer.

Just did first sprint try at Box End in Bedford last night. Very enjoyable, apart from the cycle which had to be on my old £100 halfords MTB with only 6 out of 18 gears working. On a bumpy hilly rock hard trail. Ache this morning.

Doing London Triathlon Olympic next Sunday - wave 14 if any fellow eagles there. Made customised try top out of a palace kit!!

Can swim 1500m breaststroke in 34 mins, run 10k in 66 mins. 40k bike in 85 mins I guess on my 15 yr old tourer. Put all those together and will probably take 30 mins extra

Any one else done London before?
Never done London but it's on the list for next year.

It sounds like you could use a new bike - it'll make life a lot easier both on the bike and the run. 1500m breaststroke in 34 minutes is pretty incredible - I struggle in just over 30 minutes doing front crawl!

Strava profile
Old 23-07-2013, 09:37 PM

Enfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Well you're a faster swimmer than me. I'd hope to catch you on the bike
Im sure you will. I'll keep them peeled for a small green cult legend on an invisible bike cruising past me. Think I'll be wearing a white away shirt with the sash from a few years ago.

If all goes well for first try this weekend, hope to step up to ironman in a few years. How does it differ from try?

Old 23-07-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentEagle View Post
Never done London but it's on the list for next year.

It sounds like you could use a new bike - it'll make life a lot easier both on the bike and the run. 1500m breaststroke in 34 minutes is pretty incredible - I struggle in just over 30 minutes doing front crawl!
Im a tightarse who makes do with a stripped down tourer, nice bit of reynolds 635 steel, but my younger brothers leave me for dead on their £400 raleigh try bikes.
Front crawl is the way to go, it just I swim faster doing breast than crawl.

Can you recommend any tri's you done for next year.

Old 24-07-2013, 10:39 AM
No longer a student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfield eagle View Post
Im a tightarse who makes do with a stripped down tourer, nice bit of reynolds 635 steel, but my younger brothers leave me for dead on their £400 raleigh try bikes.
Front crawl is the way to go, it just I swim faster doing breast than crawl.

Can you recommend any tri's you done for next year.
Anything at Dorney Lake is good for a PB - it's flat, everything is close together and it's on (closed) private roads. To view the link you have to Register or Login put on a lot of events there, they're well organised but not the cheapest. Lots of other organisers put on cheaper and just as well organised events at Dorney, but you'll need to google!

ITU London triathlon at Hyde Park is good. I did it a couple of years ago and I've got the sprint again at the end of September. Last time around the Serpentine was nice and warm and it's a fast, flat-ish, iconic bike course. Sells out quickly though, I think they used a ballot this year.

Hever Castle isn't bad, but it's very late in the season and last year the water was ice cold. It was a miserable cold swim, a chilly bike course but an enjoyable run (with a big hill near the end). Probably an enjoyable race if you get lucky with the weather, but seriously, that swim was miserable. They had to pull a couple of people off the bike route as they were suffering from hypothermia.

Strava profile
Old 26-07-2013, 02:53 PM

Cheers. Think I'll do a dorney one next year and was going to volunteer at Hever this year to get a free place at any of next years castle series races. Actually like the sound of freezing water.