Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 26-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
I'm a runner, but Tri sounds fun for a different challenge. My main concern with it is cost though. Running is pretty cheap - decent pair of shoes, some shorts and a top. Bikes are expensive though. The swims tend to be outside too right, in lakes or the sea, so presumably best to train in the sea if possible?
Old 26-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
the best the coach could say was that I was a "survival swimmer with no aquatic aptitude, but well done on effort as you try to beat the water into submission"
That's a brilliant quote.
Old 26-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Between matches

MasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle View Post
I'm a runner, but Tri sounds fun for a different challenge. My main concern with it is cost though. Running is pretty cheap - decent pair of shoes, some shorts and a top. Bikes are expensive though. The swims tend to be outside too right, in lakes or the sea, so presumably best to train in the sea if possible?
many people only ever open water swim in races and do all their training in a pool. Shorter stuff often has pool swims but Olympic distance and above is OW.

I just did an ironman and have swum OW only 3 times in the year before - one 750m race, one 1900m race and one splash about when it was so cold I probably didn't do much more than about 500m.
Old 26-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Between matches

MasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Also the bike can be expensive as you want it to be. I've done sprint races with pool swims when you've had some people on mountain bikes and some people on 6K time trial bikes.

Granted I've not seen anyone win on a MTB but I've seen plenty not come last.
Old 29-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Otaku

lanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Did my first brick yesterday. A 17 mile flat out bike ride and then straight into a 6k run. Experienced the jelly legs for the first time but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

My biggest problem seemed to be regulating my breathing in the run. I'm not sure if I dropped to too low a gear coming to the end of the bike run (as someone told me this was a good way to get the blood pumping and beat jelly legs but just made me out of breath), whether I'm just not used to starting a run being already out of breath or whether it was just the heat. Or maybe a combination of all three. But I had to stop fairly soon into the run and walk for 30 seconds to get my breathing back in check. See what happens next time.

But overall I didn't have a problem and I now know I'm more than capable of doing the sprint tri that I'm training for.

Swimming lessons continue but I still feel I'm miles away from the finished article. My teacher has deconstructed all the individual parts and Im a long way from putting it all back together successfully. But the teacher knows the date of the race so I suppose I have to trust in him.

Enjoying it all though.
Old 29-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Between matches

Your first brick is always interesting. Spinning in an easy gear at the end of a the ride (needs to only be the last 500m or so) for a sprint is a common tip as it does get your legs ready for the run.

I don't know if you've got a GPS watch or similar but half the problem when you first start running is speed perception. Much like when you come off a motorway into a residential area and it feels like you are crawling Triathlon suffers from the same. It's easy to perceive yourself as running really slowly at the start of the run but you may in fact be going off far too fast and that is more likely what is causing your issue.

Once you've had a walk and get going again your perception is back in check and you're then running at a more sensible speed.
Old 29-07-2013, 11:36 AM
No longer a student

StudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYoda View Post
Your first brick is always interesting. Spinning in an easy gear at the end of a the ride (needs to only be the last 500m or so) for a sprint is a common tip as it does get your legs ready for the run.

I don't know if you've got a GPS watch or similar but half the problem when you first start running is speed perception. Much like when you come off a motorway into a residential area and it feels like you are crawling Triathlon suffers from the same. It's easy to perceive yourself as running really slowly at the start of the run but you may in fact be going off far too fast and that is more likely what is causing your issue.

Once you've had a walk and get going again your perception is back in check and you're then running at a more sensible speed.
I agree it's probably about perception. I've had runs where the first km I'll think I'm well behind target pace and feel like I'm struggling, then I'll check my time at the first marker and realise I'm under target pace and the only reason I'm struggling is because I'm pushing too hard.

Garmin watch is very useful in this situation!

Strava profile
Old 30-07-2013, 09:20 PM
SwimBikeRun!

Jacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Completed my first triathlon this weekend. 1hr 48mins for the Sprint distance in the Virgin Active London Triathlon. 750m swim, 20km cycle, 5km run. Made the top 100 (94th) in my age group - Male 45-49! Mind you no idea how many there actually were in my category!
Would have been faster but for a first tri I was very careful and slow in transition to make sure I was relaxed and comfortable. Great day out!

FOR F**K'S SAKE, MURRAY!!
Old 30-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Between matches

Well done. Onto the next one?
Old 30-07-2013, 09:35 PM
SwimBikeRun!

Jacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
First of many!

FOR F**K'S SAKE, MURRAY!!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Otaku

lanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelanepe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Wild swimming

Who does it?

Where are clean save nice places to do it in the south east?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 PM
evvo111

evvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is here
I've done it a few times but in South Wales. There are a couple of decent sites which have sections for the UK:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

"The wise are instructed by reason; ordinary minds by experience; the stupid, by necessity; and brutes by instinct."
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child."
"Victory has a hundred fathers and defeat is an orphan."
Old 02-08-2013, 09:05 AM
No longer a student

StudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStudentEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanepe View Post
Who does it?

Where are clean save nice places to do it in the south east?
Not really wild, but if you're looking for open water swimming...

I swim at Heron Lake fairly regularly - it's pretty much on the junction of the A30 and the M25.

Bray Lake is a little further out along the M4 and is huge. I got a bit scared that I was swimming somewhere I wasn't meant to last year as it's so big people get very spread out.

Further in there's a lake at Shepperton which I'm looking to try this weekend as it has slightly more lie-in friendly hours (Heron and Bray seem to want everyone out by 8.30am, Shepperton seems to stay open until 11.00am).

On the other side of London I've heard good things about Tri Farm near Chelmsford, although it's apparently struggling to get a licence for next year.

Strava profile
Old 12-08-2013, 06:16 PM

as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216
Good to see this thread back up and running. May have to visit the BBS a bit more again now.

I "retired" from triathlon three years ago as I just simply don't like cycling - was never any good at it, never improved no matter what training I did, and never got to grips with the mechanical side of things. Add my lack of patience into the mix and there were several occasions when my bike would end up thrown into the hedge at the side of the road if ever anything went wrong with it. My background is in swimming and it was by far my strength so would always exit the water right near the front of the field then go backwards as soon as I got on the bike.

Still, I enjoyed racing - got my sprint time down to 1:15 and standard down to 2:27 before packing it in. My one Ironman (France 2008) is best forgotten as I crawled home seven minutes inside the cut-off time after a hellish six and a half hour marathon.

Still running and swimming though and recently joined the newly-formed To view the link you have to Register or Login. One aquathlon so far this year and some open water swim races (highlight being the River Arun Ironman Swim in 57 minutes).

The sport is really on the up and good to see more and more people taking the plunge (quite literally!)
Old 15-08-2013, 08:58 AM

Enfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Still recovering from London, first ever olympic tri. Never swam with 300 people before, carnage! No room to do breaststroke, even out wide, people doing front crawl going diagonally into you, suddenly stopping just to sight. :very angry Madness. MEMO TO SELF - MUST LEARN FRONT CRAWL!!!

Came out the water in 34 mins, before getting cramp in both legs and in right thigh whilst trying to get wetsuit off. Just about got on the bike and hobbled the run as got pain in left hip due to running funny because of the tight calfs. Finished in 3:30. 20 mins in transitions due to the cramp.

Legs still feel tight and first run since race 3 weeks ago yesterday lasted 10 mins before left knee and hip started hurting and lost all power in them. Apart from rest, any tips to recover quicker and get ready for the september tri's please? Cheers in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LXocmIHoVXM

cpfc - strength in times of unusualness
Old 15-08-2013, 09:01 AM

Enfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEnfield eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Completed my first triathlon this weekend. 1hr 48mins for the Sprint distance in the Virgin Active London Triathlon. 750m swim, 20km cycle, 5km run. Made the top 100 (94th) in my age group - Male 45-49! Mind you no idea how many there actually were in my category!
Would have been faster but for a first tri I was very careful and slow in transition to make sure I was relaxed and comfortable. Great day out!
Well done. Would you do the London one again? Think I'm going to drop back to sprint distance for next year before trying Olympic again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LXocmIHoVXM

cpfc - strength in times of unusualness
Old 15-08-2013, 12:45 PM
No longer a student

It might be worth asking on the running thread but it sounds like you should get your knee and hip checked out before trying to run again. It sounds more serious than just fatigue.

In terms of recovery, it can be useful to try a light jog a couple of days after a race, well below race pace and only for 30 minutes or so. Recovery drinks might help too (see For Goodness Shakes for a decent tasting option). I use compression calf guards during and after a race too, which are meant to help recovery and they seem to help. I see them as being more useful in avoiding cramp off the bike though.

Strava profile
Old 30-08-2013, 04:42 PM
No longer a student

One week to go until Henley!

I have my 6.40am start time now and I'm a mixture of nerves, excitement but mostly wanting just to get out there and get started. My swimming and cycling are as strong as they've ever been - I put on some quad compression guards for the first time in a year last weekend and couldn't believe how much tighter they were; clearly all that hill climbing on the bike has paid off. My achilles strain has eased and I can run again, albeit I haven't been able to put in nearly as many miles as I should have as a result. I managed a total of 18 miles over the 3-day weekend at faster than race pace which has reassured me that I can at least get myself round the run leg next weekend.

I'm sure there'll be a race report at some time next Monday...

Strava profile
Old 04-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Otaku

Any recommendations on where to buy a wetsuit from? Like to try some on and get a decent fit.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:59 PM

Kemper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKemper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKemper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKemper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKemper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKemper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKemper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKemper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKemper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKemper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKemper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanepe View Post
Any recommendations on where to buy a wetsuit from? Like to try some on and get a decent fit.
Sigma Sport in Kingston used to do wetsuit fitting etc. Well they did a few years back when I bought mine, but that was in their old shop. I imagine they do still do it as it was the only place I found localish that stocked wetsuits at the time.

I've bitten the bullet and signed up for Outlaw Iron next year, and just for good measure and a chance to recce the course a bit the Outlaw Half as well. I must be mad, though I do have a decent level of fitness. Need to really work on my swim between now and then though, am considering getting a coach if anyone knows of a local one or one in Central London.