Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 24-12-2011, 03:19 PM
evvo111

evvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is here
Great experiences. So much cheaper (even allowing for inflation) so I guess the expectations of the surroundings wasn't so great. Just loved the atmosphere.
Old 24-12-2011, 05:31 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
OK they are all in the Gallery now: To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 24-12-2011, 06:25 PM
6000 miles from there

Nobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The only one of these I didn't actually take was the first one against Blackpool. A friend from school went to that game with his dad and took the picture.
I was incredibly envious, even though it was abandoned, as I hadn't yet gone to a game.
My first ever game was away at Charlton in the FA Cup 3rd round in Jan, 1969 (0-0)... the only game I ever went to with my dad.
My first home game was the match against Middlesborough (0-0 again) in the promotion run-in. Bizarrely, there was a full-page photo of a Middlesborough player in "Goal" magazine a couple of weeks later and I could see myself behind him in the front row! I still have that picture somewhere.
The promotion-winning game against Fulham was one of the greatest memories of my life. As you can see from the photos after that game, I was pretty much the last person to the leave the ground.
Unfortunately, I can't remember what games the three 1970's black-and-white photos were from. But the one from the Whitehorse Lane end is obviously the earliest because we were still playing in the claret with thin sky blue stripes. As I got older I graduated to the Holmesdale Road end.

If I have time over this Xmas break, I'll dig into the photo drawer again and see if I can find any more.

Last edited by Nobby; 24-12-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 24-12-2011, 08:51 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Photo 16 has to be from 71/72 season due to the Palace shirts (no white down the center splitting the claret from the blue.

Looking at the condition of the pitch I'm pretty sure it was one of the first home games of the season.

I got my programs out from that season and we started out with Newcastle, Liverpool, Nottingham Forest, Manchester United, Everton and West Brom.

Looking at the pictures of the previous games in the programs and the kits of the team up the other end - I'm going for Man United wearing black shorts. Disappointingly there are no pictures in the Everton program from the United game so I can't prove it. This game was played on Saturday September 11th 1971 and we lost 3-1.

Also judging by the gang of photographers up the Whitehorse end surrounding somebody (do they still do that?) that was either a new signing or a star player - George Best maybe?

Only doubt I have is that looked to me like Alan Birchenall in the foreground, but it appears he did not play - in fact he was about to be transfered to Leicester (and Steve Kember a week later to Chelsea - but that's another story). If it is the United game it has to be either Mel Blyth or Ross Jenkins - Could be Mel.

God what a Nigel I am!
Old 24-12-2011, 09:27 PM
The Spiky One

As for number 17 I'm going for Arsenal March 13th 1971. Pitch look later in the season, and a crowd of 35,022.

Arsenal wore yellow with blue shorts. The Palace 6 was Blyth, 5 was McCormick, 7 was Jimmy Scott (which is my biggest clue, as Tony Taylor played 7 nearly every game but this one - this looks more like Scott than Taylor) 4 was Hoadley, again usually David Payne - the picture could be either one of them.

If it is... we lost 2-0 - seeing as we lost by some big scores to the big London teams, that sounds like a moral victory!

As for number 18... pretty impossible to say with any of the opposition in the picture (some guy over the the left in white maybe), looks a big crowd. Could it be the first game in Division One v Man United?
Old 24-12-2011, 09:34 PM
The Spiky One

I have a Blackpool game played on December 28th 1968 that was abandoned with the score at 1-1. Could this be the same one?

It was only the 3rd Palace game I had ever been to, the first being Palace v Portsmouth on 20/12/67 (2-2), and the second being v Blackpool (again) on 2/3/68 (3-1).
Old 24-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog
I have a Blackpool game played on December 28th 1968 that was abandoned with the score at 1-1. Could this be the same one?

It was only the 3rd Palace game I had ever been to, the first being Palace v Portsmouth on 20/12/67 (2-2), and the second being v Blackpool (again) on 2/3/68 (3-1).

Edited. That's strange, my information - that it was the 27th, came from the Croydon Advertiser but Ian King records it as the 28th. Ian is invariably correct so it must have been the 28th.

Last edited by Ruskin Old Boy; 24-12-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 25-12-2011, 12:15 AM
6000 miles from there

Nobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNobby : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Nice work, DC Hodgkin!
Old 25-12-2011, 04:47 PM

Location: I'm only putting something in this field in order to create more space in the line below for my 'rep'
Mal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
As for number 17 I'm going for Arsenal March 13th 1971. Pitch look later in the season, and a crowd of 35,022.

Arsenal wore yellow with blue shorts. The Palace 6 was Blyth, 5 was McCormick, 7 was Jimmy Scott (which is my biggest clue, as Tony Taylor played 7 nearly every game but this one - this looks more like Scott than Taylor) 4 was Hoadley, again usually David Payne - the picture could be either one of them.
I agree with your analysis. As you say, No 7 is the best clue. Scott did have a distinctive gait. He always loooked knackered even when running down the tunnel onto the pitch.

The oppostion kit doesn't look immediately familiar which means it was a team who had to change as their first choice kit clashed with ours - Like Arsenal.
Old 25-12-2011, 05:06 PM

Location: I'm only putting something in this field in order to create more space in the line below for my 'rep'
Mal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
As for number 18... pretty impossible to say with any of the opposition in the picture (some guy over the the left in white maybe), looks a big crowd. Could it be the first game in Division One v Man United?
You can just make out the shadows of the players - and from the position of the shadows it looks like either an early season game or a late season game.

But it's not our first game against Man Unt because the weather on that day (Aug 19 1969) was humid and quite overcast - certainly not enough sun for shadows to be visible.

Just on top of the penalty circle D is a bloke with a gardening tool - a fork perhaps. And just in front of Jacko is another bloke who appears to be doing something to the surface. So I suspect a late season game when the pitch needed attention.

Do I see the TV dishes and paraphanalia just above the Whitehorse Terrace?

If so, then a late season game with a big crowd which was televised, on a bright day. Perhaps that other Man Unt game one sunny late Spring day which they won 2-5?

Just to the left of Jacko's shoulder is a bloke who looks as if he could be photographing the bloke who is coming out of Jacko's head. The problem is that player appears to be wearing a white top
Old 25-12-2011, 05:44 PM
The Spiky One

Bloody hell Sherlock!
Old 25-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Great work guys
Old 25-12-2011, 06:21 PM
The Spiky One

I've just noticed John Jackson didn't have "1" on his back... I guess back then it was obvious the keeper was number 1 so no need.

Also in 18 those shadows look pretty long, could the photo have been taken at half time? Hence the groundsmen working on the pitch?
Old 25-12-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I've just noticed John Jackson didn't have "1" on his back... I guess back then it was obvious the keeper was number 1 so no need.

Also in 18 those shadows look pretty long, could the photo have been taken at half time? Hence the groundsmen working on the pitch?

No. Back then the half-time break was strictly 10 minutes. No time for players to be strolling on and off the pitch as they do now. Instead it was rush down the tunnel, grab a cup of tea, and rush back to resume the game.

And I don't think keepers had numbers back then - probably on the grounds that they all wore green shirts and everyone new the keeper was No 1. Numbers then represented positions, not individuals.
Old 26-12-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Adjusted
You can just make out the shadows of the players - and from the position of the shadows it looks like either an early season game or a late season game.

But it's not our first game against Man Unt because the weather on that day (Aug 19 1969) was humid and quite overcast - certainly not enough sun for shadows to be visible.

Just on top of the penalty circle D is a bloke with a gardening tool - a fork perhaps. And just in front of Jacko is another bloke who appears to be doing something to the surface. So I suspect a late season game when the pitch needed attention.

Do I see the TV dishes and paraphanalia just above the Whitehorse Terrace?

If so, then a late season game with a big crowd which was televised, on a bright day. Perhaps that other Man Unt game one sunny late Spring day which they won 2-5?

Just to the left of Jacko's shoulder is a bloke who looks as if he could be photographing the bloke who is coming out of Jacko's head. The problem is that player appears to be wearing a white top

Sorry mate but you're talking through your arse. Anyone who followed the palace then (you obviously didn't) would know what a dry, grassless dustbowl selhurst park was in late Spring. If you doubt that then just look at the pictures of Selhurst 14 and 15, after the Fulham game.

There's too much grass for it to be a late season game. But in all other respects I agree with you. My bet is an early season 1969/70 game. I think that a couple of weeks after we played Man Untd we were on the telly again - the Big Match - when we played Spurs at home. So that's my guess.
Old 26-12-2011, 07:22 PM
The Spiky One

What a dope that guy is eh?

If you look down the Whitehorse End in the Right hand corner there seems to be a gathering - I remember away supporters who had ended up in the Holmesdale (by accident or by design) would be frog marched up to the Whitehorse Lane end - I defo remember Nottingham Forest having to do this, and I'm sure a few London teams.

I'm still convinced it's half time though - No away team up the other end (maybe one), groundsmen repairing the pitch (did they really repair the pitch before the game started?), and the length of the shadows (3 o'clock early season? Seem far too long).
Old 27-12-2011, 10:41 PM

It's definitely a spring game. The foliage on the trees around grange park is not yet out. Compare the trees in 16 and 18 to see what I mean

and I think it's from the 69/70 season because the ends of the new stand are mot yet capped off

And you can tell it's a crowd of at least 35000.

So what games in April or may 1970 had a crowd that large?
Old 28-12-2011, 06:09 PM

tony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Great Work with those ground photos. Thank You! Was at all the games hard to place opponents. One game well remembered was played 43 years ago today, was the Blackpool abandoned game. Was very surprised the game started only one in London. When played again we lost to injury time penalty by Johnny Johnstone playing in his first game, as mentioned before John Craven cancelled out Steve Kember's goal but of course we were not beaten again until Everton won with another penalty when in the first division. Here is a report which is not in any record books of the abandoned game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pal v bpool 68.jpg (817.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 29-12-2011, 12:26 AM
6000 miles from there

A few more from the drawer:

Arsenal v. Palace, early or mid 70's:

Need help with this one. It could be Brentford v. someone, mid 70's. Don't think Palace were the away team, wherever I took it, but I might be wrong. Can anyone confirm it's Griffin Park? I occasionally went there when I was a student and Palace were away:

The Arthur Wait stand, mid-construction, after the 3-2 Fulham promotion game, April 1969:

69/70 or 70/71. Looks like Tambling and Birchenall or Blyth in there:

Same era, different end. Possibly same game. Sometimes I'd go behind the goal Palace were attacking, then change ends at half-time. Can't remember if you could still do that in Div 1. Player is Birchenall?:

Finally, me in my first Palace shirt, 1968 or 1969:

Last edited by Nobby; 29-12-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 29-12-2011, 12:32 AM

palacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby
A few more from the drawer:

Arsenal v. Palace, mid 70's:
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Need help with this one. It could be Brentford v. someone, mid 70's. Can anyone confirm it's Griffin Park? I occasionally went there in the late 70's when I was a student and Palace were away:

The Arthur Wait stand, mid-construction, after the 3-2 Fulham promotion game, April 1969:

69/70 or 70/71. Looks like Tambling and Birchenall in there:

Same era, different end. Possibly same game. Sometimes I'd go behind the goal Palace were attacking, then change ends at half-time. Can't remember if you could still do that in Div 1. Play is Birchenall?:

Finally, me in my first Palace shirt, 19691:
great pictures love em