Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 26-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Searching the Holy Grail

selhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strictly Palace
Hope this works as I have never attached pictures before.

I have attached a picture of the Whitehorse Lane on 7 May 1983 v Derby, and two pictures of a packed Selhurst when we played West Ham in the FA Cup in 1984 (I think)

Note there is no over-the-top segregation in the Arthur Wait
Comparing these pics with those from Burnley 1979, it is hard to believe there were at least 25K more in the ground on the former occasion.

Packed terracing was always great on the eye. Thanks for those.
Old 26-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Searching the Holy Grail

selhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade
Saturday 7 May 1983 was the day my first son Tom was born.He was born in the early hours of the morning and having been back to see my wife and new son in hospital in the afternoon I was driving into our Close as the closing headlines came through before Sports Report (on Radio 2 in those days);

"....in Division One Crystal Palace have beaten Derby 4-1 which I think makes them safe and the final whistle has gone at The Goldstone Ground, Brighton have lost to Manchester City and are relegated...."

I doubt that was Division 1 as Palace had been relegated by 1981.

I suspect Brighton was relegated from Div 1 and Palace survived in Div 2, for the second time in two years.
Old 26-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Shot by both sides

Sam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhurstparkflyer
I doubt that was Division 1 as Palace had been relegated by 1981.

I suspect Brighton was relegated from Div 1 and Palace survived in Div 2, for the second time in two years.
Saturday May 7 1983. c4.50pm driving into my road having just visited my wife in hospital where she had given birth to my first son in the early hours of that morning. Had Radio 2 (in those days it was still R2) to hear firstly that the Weed had been beaten at home by Man City and had been relegated from Div 1 ( they have never been back since) and immediately following that we had thrashed Derby 4-1 to give ourselves a great chance of staying up. (ten days later we beat Burnley 1-0 thanks to an Ian Edwards goal and survival was confirmed.)
Saturday May 7 1983 lives long in the mind for me. Nearly 30 years ago.
Old 26-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
I was there, would have been 6 (a couple of weeks before my 7th birthday)

Henry Hughton scored his only ever goal for us, we never used to thrash anyone, so this was one of the highlights of my childhood!
Old 18-06-2015, 05:24 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Palace-Bristol Rovers 1939
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Thanks Nelson Muntz
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 18-06-2015, 06:33 AM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
Palace-Bristol Rovers 1939
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Thanks Nelson Muntz
Looks like the HF were around in that corner even back in those days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 23-06-2015, 07:09 PM

Location: currently on steep hill overlooking Hastings and the sea
DocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Arthur goes up

"Roll with Rizla"
I need to see the Method Statement and Risk Assessments before I look at these pictures
Old 23-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Back then matches took place with large crowds standing underneath the half constructed framework!!!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 23-06-2015, 07:52 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Back then matches took place with large crowds standing underneath the half constructed framework!!!
Could be quite dodgy, seeing as most of the steel workers never came back from the Clifton on Friday afternoon. Most of their tools like wrenches and spanners were left lying up on the girders just waiting for a gust of wind or a John Sewell shot on goal to dislodge them on the Saturday afternoon.
Old 25-06-2015, 03:35 PM

ian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Such as the 43,000 v Middlesbro' on Good Friday 4th April 1969!
And I don't remember being bothered by all this steelwork above.
Old 26-06-2015, 06:25 PM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
Someone should go and spray paint Bovril back on the side of that house.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 27-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Smashing big flagpole just in front of it in the top corner of the ground too

Old 28-06-2015, 04:30 AM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
Last time I walked by it, I think it had Senegal for the Cup sprayed on it.
Old 29-06-2015, 07:34 AM

mickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
Lol.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-06-29 at 08.28.21.png (1.95 MB, 368 views)
Old 06-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Grassy (or more often mud) banks around Selhurst, 1963

NB - PROPER floodlights!!!

Last edited by Dorking .Eagle; 06-07-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Aching Arms

LONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickiet09 View Post
Lol.
If you look close enough, you can actually see the shadow of the original advertising hoarding still visible higher up the wall!

Surely we should call that part of the ground 'Bovril Corner' in memoriam.

Visit http://achingarms.co.uk/
Old 06-07-2015, 08:08 PM

selhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betray
Quote:
Grassy (or more often mud) banks around Selhurst, 1963

NB - PROPER floodlights!!!
Marvellous stuff.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:27 AM

mickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemickiet09 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDONMAN View Post
If you look close enough, you can actually see the shadow of the original advertising hoarding still visible higher up the wall!
You're right, I hadn't noticed that before. My artist's impression is a bit crap really isn't it?
Old 09-07-2015, 07:35 AM

alfiejay ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chrysleralfiejay ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chrysleralfiejay ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chrysleralfiejay ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chrysleralfiejay ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chrysleralfiejay ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chrysleralfiejay ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chrysleralfiejay ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chrysleralfiejay ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chrysleralfiejay ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chrysleralfiejay ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chrysler
-

Last edited by alfiejay; 10-07-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 13-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Not sure if this has been posted before, January 1940, Eddie Hapgood (Arsenal and England left) captain of the FA XI and Stan Cullis (Wolves and England right) captain of an Army team before a wartime match at a familiar ground.

The FA team won 4-3 in front of 10.057 spectators.