Home | Forums | Gallery | Predictions | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 16-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Tired

Man of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses grow
Subbuteo For The 21st Century Child

I bought a birthday card for my nephew last week with Subbuteo players on it and my 8 year old son made a comment like "they don't even look like footballers..." I explained that they were based on the game Subbuteo and explained how it was played, he looked really engaged.

Today he was playing a form of table football with his little brother with "Go-Gos" (If you have a 5-10 year old you'll know what I'm on about,) and I said that he was effectively playing Subbuteo.

So.. on a whim I've bought a set, a bargain at 2.19 on Ebay..

So what does the all seeing BBS think about an eight year old of the 21st century receiving a 1950s product. He's not massively into computer games but adores his football. I have a good feeling about this.

then again I'm massively reliving my childhood
Old 16-04-2012, 09:48 PM

The Omen is like ice, their footing does betrayThe Omen is like ice, their footing does betrayThe Omen is like ice, their footing does betrayThe Omen is like ice, their footing does betrayThe Omen is like ice, their footing does betrayThe Omen is like ice, their footing does betrayThe Omen is like ice, their footing does betrayThe Omen is like ice, their footing does betrayThe Omen is like ice, their footing does betrayThe Omen is like ice, their footing does betrayThe Omen is like ice, their footing does betray
I've still got all my Subbuteo teams and astro pitch. I always liked the collecting and setting it up side to it more than the actual game itself

GT: Omen1079
Old 16-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Tired

Man of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses growMan of Kent knows where the wild roses grow
Agreed, just like Scalextric
Old 16-04-2012, 10:05 PM
You say that you love me

bowers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebowers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebowers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebowers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebowers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebowers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebowers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebowers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebowers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebowers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebowers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
We always ignored the rule about not using your thumb as a spring when taking a shot so that you could get a really hard rocket shot on goal. Virtually impossible to save and it resulted in having to glue a few broken goalkeepers back on!
Old 16-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Tired

I was amazed at the price of the stuff on Ebay - I got the box set because it was so basic and relatively recent (1980s) but some of the stuff I remember having as a kid was up for tens of pounds.
Old 16-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Je Suis Un Funky Homme

peagle has found the source of gravitypeagle has found the source of gravitypeagle has found the source of gravitypeagle has found the source of gravitypeagle has found the source of gravitypeagle has found the source of gravitypeagle has found the source of gravitypeagle has found the source of gravitypeagle has found the source of gravitypeagle has found the source of gravitypeagle has found the source of gravity
I played subbuteo as a child (i guess in the late 90s and very early 00s) constantly and knew plenty of people who did. Still have my old sets complete with a palace team which was hard to come by and a few stadia and scoreboards and extras like that. I was obsessed but haven't got them out in a while!
Old 16-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Contents May Vary

Robson : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobson : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobson : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobson : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobson : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobson : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobson : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobson : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobson : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobson : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobson : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Subbuteo is still live and kicking. There's actually a Subbuteo World Cup, taking place at the City of Manchester stadium in the summer.

You may enjoy this website.
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Old 16-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Most Distant Eagles Fan

Te Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson
Subbuteo is still live and kicking. There's actually a Subbuteo World Cup, taking place at the City of Manchester stadium in the summer.

They all look like they just shat their pants ....
Old 16-04-2012, 11:04 PM
BBS BTC Baron

Russ_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRuss_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRuss_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRuss_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRuss_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRuss_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRuss_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRuss_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRuss_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRuss_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRuss_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Subbuteo, Ahh those were the days.

I used to go to the 'Crook Log Subbuteo Club' back in the late 80's & a mate of mine used to play for England (he played in the subbuteo World cup in 1990)

Last edited by Russ_uk; 16-04-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 16-04-2012, 11:25 PM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

hughff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethughff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethughff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethughff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethughff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethughff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethughff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethughff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethughff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethughff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethughff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
To view the link you have to Register or Login has the following three variations on Palace. (I have the first.)

If you wish to follow a football club based on their success then you could not view yourself as a supporter ... you are merely a customer. - Mat ov CPFC.

Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement and it seems to me that I can hear God saying to America, "You are too arrogant." - Martin Luther King
Old 16-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Kuqi Monster

Raoul Duke would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningRaoul Duke would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningRaoul Duke would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningRaoul Duke would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningRaoul Duke would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningRaoul Duke would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningRaoul Duke would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningRaoul Duke would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningRaoul Duke would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningRaoul Duke would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningRaoul Duke would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson

Didn't know there was a white supremacist Crystal Palace team.

Guess this was how toys were made before political correctness took over.
Old 17-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Goats+Monkey Chants

Maidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
Didn't know there was a white supremacist Crystal Palace team.

Guess this was how toys were made before political correctness took over.
Maybe it was accurate for the time that strip was being worn?

Though saying that I had the sash team and painted one to be Vince Hilaire.
Old 17-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDANGERMOUSE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDANGERMOUSE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDANGERMOUSE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDANGERMOUSE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDANGERMOUSE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDANGERMOUSE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDANGERMOUSE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDANGERMOUSE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDANGERMOUSE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDANGERMOUSE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle
Maybe it was accurate for the time that strip was being worn?

Though saying that I had the sash team and painted one to be Vince Hilaire.

?

Are Subbuteo teams multi-racial these days, then?
Old 17-04-2012, 07:14 AM

GanbareWashi was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsGanbareWashi was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsGanbareWashi was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsGanbareWashi was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsGanbareWashi was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsGanbareWashi was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsGanbareWashi was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsGanbareWashi was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsGanbareWashi was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsGanbareWashi was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsGanbareWashi was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
I had a Japanese customer ask me about Subbuteo last year and ended up shipping him about 2,000 worth of World Cup sets, extra teams and spare balls etc. I will be meeting him next month to see if he needs any more .

I still have my old Subbuteo stuff up in loft and am just waiting for my 7 year old to get old enough to start playing it with him. He is still a tad too destructive ...
Old 17-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Pro "Gay Snakes"

Dorking .Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDorking .Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDorking .Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDorking .Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDorking .Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDorking .Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDorking .Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDorking .Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDorking .Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDorking .Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDorking .Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It's when you start painting fans on terraces and grandstands that you know you're obsessed.

Much better to make your own stands and scoreboards etc out of old shoeboxes and the like.
Those That Don't Understand Don't Matter
Old 17-04-2012, 07:25 AM
MAMIL

stevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Stands made it impossible to play properly.
Old 17-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Tired

I had a mate who had all the stands and floodlights and things. By the time you got them round the ground you couldn't actually get to the pitch. Better played on the astroturf on a wooden board with perhaps a fence to stop the ball falling off the table..

I do remember making the shoe box stands and painting them red and blue to look like the Arthur Waite though.

The "item has been despatched" so I intend to splash out the 4 on the Palace team if number one son likes it. I'm looking forward to getting it myself.

Last edited by Man of Kent; 17-04-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 17-04-2012, 07:50 AM
The Eagle HAS landed.....

ukjay_29 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldukjay_29 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldukjay_29 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldukjay_29 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldukjay_29 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldukjay_29 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldukjay_29 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldukjay_29 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldukjay_29 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldukjay_29 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldukjay_29 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
I played alot in the early 80's, played regular Sundays in Swanley.

I have a cut out from a local paper of me playing as a 12 year old.

Great days!!
Eastbourne Eagles - Speedways Elite ?
Kent CCC - Joining Jimmy's Revolution!
Mario Kart Tag - 1075-6885-3133 --> Cookie
Old 17-04-2012, 07:54 AM
Palace/Panionios

waddoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwaddoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwaddoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwaddoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwaddoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwaddoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwaddoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwaddoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwaddoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwaddoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwaddoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek
Stands made it impossible to play properly.

Old 17-04-2012, 07:56 AM
It's a term of affection

Fatboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFatboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFatboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFatboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFatboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFatboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFatboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFatboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFatboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFatboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFatboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
When I was a boy living in Hamsey Green I had my subbuteo laid out on a board with the fence round it. Needed two to lift it onto the dining table.

Really wished I had kept all my old toys for my daughter.