Home | Forums | Gallery | Predictions | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 01-05-2012, 12:19 PM

BERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Boston, Massachusetts ideas

Am planning a 5 night break in Boston in August. Any ideas apart from the well-known Heritage Trail which sounds fun ?

Only thing I'm definitely not interested in is any American sports

Cheers (oh yes forgot the bar of that name is here )
Old 01-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Conrad Knight socks...

Nork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Go there on Paddy's day wearing an England shirt.
"The cameras at the moment are focusing on the Liverpool fans, they look in disbelief, they look shocked, there's the odd one in tears. They've also just focused on one who's just picked his nose and eaten it which is rather disgusting."
Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 PM

1234 is very understanding, and so aware of all my situations1234 is very understanding, and so aware of all my situations1234 is very understanding, and so aware of all my situations1234 is very understanding, and so aware of all my situations1234 is very understanding, and so aware of all my situations1234 is very understanding, and so aware of all my situations1234 is very understanding, and so aware of all my situations1234 is very understanding, and so aware of all my situations1234 is very understanding, and so aware of all my situations1234 is very understanding, and so aware of all my situations1234 is very understanding, and so aware of all my situations
Going to see the Red Sox play if they are at home and you are in Boston is a must. Magical ball park is Fenway...
Oh, you're not interested...... your loss.....
Old 01-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Faster.

jimos_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimos_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimos_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimos_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimos_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimos_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimos_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimos_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimos_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimos_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimos_uk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Don't go to the Cheers bar as it's really not worth it. Be sure to pop over to Cambridge and have a look around the Harvard Yard.

Where are you staying? The area around Boylston has plenty of shops, bars, etc, whilst if you want a 'true flavour', head down towards the South side.

Oh, and you can go for a stroll down by the Marina - if you're a fan of the Departed, you can see bits where it was filmed.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 PM

CedarEagle is game warden to the rep rhinoCedarEagle is game warden to the rep rhinoCedarEagle is game warden to the rep rhinoCedarEagle is game warden to the rep rhinoCedarEagle is game warden to the rep rhinoCedarEagle is game warden to the rep rhinoCedarEagle is game warden to the rep rhinoCedarEagle is game warden to the rep rhinoCedarEagle is game warden to the rep rhinoCedarEagle is game warden to the rep rhinoCedarEagle is game warden to the rep rhino
Ditto re "Don't visit Cheers Bar". It's only the outside anyway.

Ice Hockey is worth a watch despite your aversion. Boston Garden.

Aquarium was good last time I was there.

Find Bertucci's pizza restaurant. None better. Think there's more than 1.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 PM

BERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBERT'S HEAD : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimos_uk
Don't go to the Cheers bar as it's really not worth it. Be sure to pop over to Cambridge and have a look around the Harvard Yard.

Where are you staying? The area around Boylston has plenty of shops, bars, etc, whilst if you want a 'true flavour', head down towards the South side.

Oh, and you can go for a stroll down by the Marina - if you're a fan of the Departed, you can see bits where it was filmed.
Thanks am staying near Chinatown/Boston Common and I quite forgot about ice hockey - i do enjoy that.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Sponsors Joe Ledley

Ruskin Old Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRuskin Old Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRuskin Old Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRuskin Old Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRuskin Old Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRuskin Old Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRuskin Old Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRuskin Old Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRuskin Old Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRuskin Old Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRuskin Old Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimos_uk

Yes to visiting Cambridge, easy to get to and Harvard Yard a must. Not sure if the Widener library (part of Harvard) is open to the public but it's well worth a visit.

The Museum of Fine Arts is tremendous, worth going just to see the Georgia O'Keefe's, brilliant.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:46 PM
GiGi

Princess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall - great places to eat lobster and good clam chowder. The trolley buses are fun and a good way of getting around. Gorgeous city, one of my favourites!

Chairman of the Nelson Alfie fan club! -limited membership available.

In a happy place but waiting patiently for a happier one!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess
Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall - great places to eat lobster and good clam chowder. The trolley buses are fun and a good way of getting around. Gorgeous city, one of my favourites!
Noted thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Captain Fun.

Benzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess
Gorgeous city, one of my favourites!
Greatest on the planet.

(Sure I've written that on every Boston thread ever.)

Even if you're not into US sports, I reckon you'd get caught up in the baseball at Fenway. Just go for the food, drink and atmosphere - that alone is worth experiencing at least once.

http://youtu.be/Jviw33M56UI
Old 01-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Selhurstian

EagleSE24 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleSE24 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleSE24 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleSE24 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleSE24 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleSE24 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleSE24 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleSE24 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleSE24 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleSE24 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleSE24 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzhiyi
Greatest on the planet.

(Sure I've written that on every Boston thread ever.)
That's clearly Chicago and London. But on a whim I've decided to go to Boston later this year.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:41 PM
GiGi

Princess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrincess came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It's not really like any other US city. I love it. Hope to go there with the old man next year for a few days.

Chairman of the Nelson Alfie fan club! -limited membership available.

In a happy place but waiting patiently for a happier one!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 PM
White Car

TrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD
Thanks am staying near Chinatown/Boston Common and I quite forgot about ice hockey - i do enjoy that.

Boston are out of the play-offs, their season is over.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:59 PM
White Car

TrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrevorWel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE24
That's clearly Chicago and London.

In Chicago at the moment, it is indeed a truly fantastic city, right up there with the best of them.

One of the few places I would consider moving to.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Je Suis Un Funky Homme

peagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!peagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!peagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!peagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!peagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!peagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!peagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!peagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!peagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!peagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!peagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorWel
Boston are out of the play-offs, their season is over.
He's going in August anyway!

I absolutely love Boston but like any city it depends what you're interested in.

For the best view go to the top of the Prudential Centre (one of the tallest of the skyscrapers). Definitely take a duck tour (the city is known for them even though they have them in a number of cities now).

The heritage trail is pretty good but depending how interested you are it may be worth getting a formal tour of some of the historical stuff. We got one from the pavilion on Boston Common (from a man in period dress) which was brilliant. Other than that there are lots of sites dotted all around the city which you can visit yourself and many have free written guides. For more modern history I can say the JFK museum is really brilliant but a bit out of town (though they run free shuttle buses from the T).

Quincy Market is a really cool place to visit, grab a coffee or something and just sit around for a bit. It's right in the middle of town near lots of sights too. There are always good shows and stuff on, stage ones and comedians like any big city.

You can also take loads of good and interesting boat tours and there are little islands with Civil War forts and gardens and stuff that are worth visiting. I actually did a whale watching tour from their once which was surprisingly good.

Finally, I will just say that there is nothing like a night at fenway! I know you may not love baseball but it's definitely worth going to a baseball game at least once if you never have and there is no place better than Fenway to do it!

Hope some of that helps, feel free to ask for any more advice if you want it!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peagle
He's going in August anyway!

I absolutely love Boston but like any city it depends what you're interested in.

For the best view go to the top of the Prudential Centre (one of the tallest of the skyscrapers). Definitely take a duck tour (the city is known for them even though they have them in a number of cities now).

The heritage trail is pretty good but depending how interested you are it may be worth getting a formal tour of some of the historical stuff. We got one from the pavilion on Boston Common (from a man in period dress) which was brilliant. Other than that there are lots of sites dotted all around the city which you can visit yourself and many have free written guides. For more modern history I can say the JFK museum is really brilliant but a bit out of town (though they run free shuttle buses from the T).

Quincy Market is a really cool place to visit, grab a coffee or something and just sit around for a bit. It's right in the middle of town near lots of sights too. There are always good shows and stuff on, stage ones and comedians like any big city.

You can also take loads of good and interesting boat tours and there are little islands with Civil War forts and gardens and stuff that are worth visiting. I actually did a whale watching tour from their once which was surprisingly good.

Finally, I will just say that there is nothing like a night at fenway! I know you may not love baseball but it's definitely worth going to a baseball game at least once if you never have and there is no place better than Fenway to do it!

Hope some of that helps, feel free to ask for any more advice if you want it!
Excellent ! thanks for taking the time - I do love my history so sounds like i will have a field day
Old 02-05-2012, 07:19 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKYLIE MINEAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKYLIE MINEAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKYLIE MINEAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKYLIE MINEAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKYLIE MINEAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKYLIE MINEAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKYLIE MINEAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKYLIE MINEAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKYLIE MINEAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKYLIE MINEAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Was there in September .Loved it .All the places mentioned plus Boston Common where there is a memorial to the 54th Massachuesets the soldiers from the film Glory.Go to Sam Adams brewery .Good little tour and a great piss up. If you go on the USS Constitution at the end of the Freedom Trail take ID or they won't let you on.Some great bars in Boston if you like that sort of thing.Luckily I did ,and I found beer in the US pretty good value.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent Eagle Forever : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent Eagle Forever : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent Eagle Forever : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent Eagle Forever : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent Eagle Forever : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent Eagle Forever : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent Eagle Forever : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent Eagle Forever : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent Eagle Forever : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent Eagle Forever : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Why don't you go down to the harbour and have a 'Tea Party'?
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:03 PM
White Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by peagle
I know you may not love baseball but it's definitely worth going to a baseball game at least once if you never have

Seriously have to agree with this. Whatever your perceptions are about baseball from the TV, forget it, it's a very different experience live.

I am not a fan myself, but went to the White Sox game last night and had a very enjoyable evening, baseball is a very interesting experience.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Captain Fun.

Benzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBenzhiyi : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE24
That's clearly Chicago and London. But on a whim I've decided to go to Boston later this year.
Chicago is amazing too.

London, well... now I'm out of there I can never see myself going back. Most overrated city in the world? Very possibly. (Same for New York.)

(Still a very proud Saaaaf Londoner though.)

http://youtu.be/Jviw33M56UI