Home | Forums | Gallery | Predictions | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 01-05-2012, 04:26 PM

Shipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Bbs mechanic help needed :)

Could one of the bbs mechanics help please.

I've got a cheap lease car, vw lupo to be precise. Just driving it at 40ish mph down a wet country lane in 4 th gear and a horrible crunching sound came from the gear box and what sounded like dragging metal under the car.
I stopped and had a look and listen, the tickover has a bit more of a rattle than before, back into the car I can select gears 1,2,3,5 and reverse, gear 4 just whines. when braking I get a whirring sound but brakes seem fine.
The temperature is reading normal, I have no strange lights on the dashboard and now I've got to get it back to the lease hire company, about 40-45 miles away and most of it on motorways.
Does it sound like it's just 4th gear that's demolished itself or could it be something a bit more serious. Should I get it towed back or risk it?
Over to the good old bbs for advice thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:29 PM

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If I was you I would not even attempt to move it. If its leased then contact them and they must have some sort of recovery assistance in place.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Semper idem

Maz has disabled reputation
^^^^

In spades.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 01-05-2012, 04:34 PM

Shipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShipsisourking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Cause it's a cheap lease they say I have to recover the fxxker to them. It's in the contract I signed sadly
Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Official Sponsor - oh :(

Barbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
You need a new gearbox.

That'll be 80 please
Old 01-05-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara4003
You need a new gearbox.

That'll be 80 please
Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Banned by Moderators

PalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Dump it and burn it out.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Semper idem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipsisourking
Cause it's a cheap lease they say I have to recover the fxxker to them. It's in the contract I signed sadly
AS long as they are liable for any additional damage that the journey might cause.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 01-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Palace since 1989

Scrumpy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScrumpy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScrumpy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScrumpy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScrumpy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScrumpy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScrumpy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScrumpy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScrumpy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScrumpy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScrumpy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Do you have any friends who are with the AA/RAC? If so, ask said friend if you can pretend to be them. If AA believe you are them they should then recover your car for you FOC
Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Semper idem

And if the AA don't believe you then your friend will be thrown out of the organisation and his name goes on a road recovery black list.

Not a great idea.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 01-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Concession/Adult

9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine
Whiring? Any oil around the gearbox bell housing? More than likely you've cracked the bell housing mate, meaning another gearbox, I would know as I blew 4 gearboxes up in a year.

It also has a funny smell when gearbox oil burns, any sign of this? Try putting it into 4th when the car is not turned on.

;)
Old 01-05-2012, 04:52 PM

I'll just get it recovered, cheers for the advice
Old 01-05-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Freedman9
Whiring? Any oil around the gearbox bell housing? More than likely you've cracked the bell housing mate, meaning another gearbox, I would know as I blew 4 gearboxes up in a year.

It also has a funny smell when gearbox oil burns, any sign of this? Try putting it into 4th when the car is not turned on.
Bit of oil yes, is it a question that the gearbox could just go pop at anytime now and I'd loose all gears or could my remaining 4 last me a coue of days?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Concession/Adult

9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine9Freedman9 is happy as a lark and everything is fine
If oil is leaking from the box it sounds like you've cracked the bell housing or something along those lines, don't use it, the box will cease up, the box, by the sounds of it mate, has already gone.

;)
Old 01-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Brahms and List

Ant.Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnt.Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnt.Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnt.Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnt.Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnt.Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnt.Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnt.Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnt.Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnt.Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnt.Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipsisourking
Bit of oil yes, is it a question that the gearbox could just go pop at anytime now and I'd loose all gears or could my remaining 4 last me a coue of days?

Yes, you've probably got bits of cog floating around the gearbox, waiting to jam into other moving parts. Driving it would be very risky.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:00 PM

Erne would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningErne would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningErne would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningErne would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningErne would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningErne would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningErne would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningErne would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningErne would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningErne would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningErne would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
HTH

double park - don't lock the door
push the pedals through the floor
give it loads and then some more
it's a hire car baby

grip the stick - grind the gears
watch that distance disappear
never yours in a thousand years
it's a hire car baby

hire-car, hire-car
why would anybody buy a car?
bang it, prang it, say ta ta
it's a hire car baby

bad behaviour on the street
save yourself a couple of sheets
collision rate keeps it sweet
it's a hire car baby

show this motor no respect
bump it, dump it, call collect
what else do the firm expect
it's a hire car baby

drive the ****** anywhere
just like you don't care
put it down to wear and tear
it's a hire car baby

pray the person who hired it last
didn't drive it quite so fast
this dakarum dodgem doesn't last
it's a hire car baby

try not to kill yourself
or injure anybody else
don't forget to fasten your belts

rent it, dent it, bang it, prang it
bump it, dump it, scorch it, torch it
crash and burn it, don't return it
lost deposit, let 'em earn it
who cares, it's on the firm
it's a hire car baby
Old 01-05-2012, 05:05 PM

Cheers guys I'll recover the fxxker for sure now
Old 01-05-2012, 05:17 PM

rhino_mik : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerhino_mik : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerhino_mik : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerhino_mik : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerhino_mik : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerhino_mik : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerhino_mik : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerhino_mik : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerhino_mik : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerhino_mik : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerhino_mik : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Surely if it's down to mechanical failure, which must be the lease company's responsibility, then it is their responsibility for recovery?
Old 01-05-2012, 05:21 PM

It is down to me to get it back, just read my contract.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 PM

thefox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthefox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthefox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthefox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthefox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthefox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthefox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthefox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthefox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthefox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthefox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Freedman9

I have to ask. How on earth can does someone break 4 gearboxes in a year ?