Home | Forums | Gallery | Predictions | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Football

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:14 PM

Baffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Brian Clough-England Manager

Bit of a memory lane one here but with all the hoo-haa about Harry being snubbed for the top job, I've heard people banging on about how Clough similarly missed out. And that the football authorities were somehow scared of him.

Anyone else think the FA made the right decision then? IMO Ron Greenwood was a damn good England manager and that early 80s England team was one of the best I can remember. Especially given that they were playing in what was a golden era for international football. (Unlike now).

Clough had proved himself by improving average players at small clubs. Not sure how he would have got the best out of the big egos in the England squad at the time. Sounds familiar??
Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine917L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine917L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine917L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine917L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine917L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine917L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine917L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine917L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine917L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine917L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Redknapp isnt fit to lace Cloughs boots

No comparison
Old 01-05-2012, 06:17 PM
2010.Dougie.Sound.

BulletEagle would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBulletEagle would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBulletEagle would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBulletEagle would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBulletEagle would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBulletEagle would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBulletEagle would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBulletEagle would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBulletEagle would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBulletEagle would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBulletEagle would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
I'd say Hodgson is far more similar to Clough
"Their name is Crystal ****ing Palace. Just imagine it, a Palace, made out of ****ing crystals. Huddersfield Town? Um, no thanks, I think i'll call my club Sapphire Mansion if that's ok with you." Leicester City Fans Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010 on Smoke Bomb v Cardiff
I doubt that whoever did it will own up and apologise to the club but he will probably receive a football banning order when identified on the CCTV. As John Cooper Clarke famously said, nobody has got a good word for you but I have. Twat.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:18 PM

Baffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaffled Bob 2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L
Redknapp isnt fit to lace Cloughs boots
I agree. Nor is he fit to lace Greenwood's.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCelestial Empire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCelestial Empire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCelestial Empire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCelestial Empire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCelestial Empire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCelestial Empire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCelestial Empire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCelestial Empire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCelestial Empire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCelestial Empire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2
I agree. Nor is he fit to lace Greenwood's.
He's not even fit to lace big Sam's boots - you heard him, he can't count, he would get all the laces muddled up !
Old 01-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Goats+Monkey Chants

Maidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstoned Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Clough would have won the World Cup with the England players available in the 70's.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Optimistic Eagle

telodaja ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chryslertelodaja ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chryslertelodaja ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chryslertelodaja ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chryslertelodaja ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chryslertelodaja ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chryslertelodaja ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chryslertelodaja ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chryslertelodaja ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chryslertelodaja ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chryslertelodaja ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chrysler
The FA were scared Clough would embarass them in public. He was always controversial but at that particular time you got the impression he was saying things for effect. If they had appointed him and he tried to handle the England players the way he handled the Leeds egos it would all have ended in tears anyway.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle
Clough would have won the World Cup with the England players available in the 70's.
Possibly. But I doubt it.

Better than the Dutch in 74 or Argentina 78?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telodaja
If they had appointed him and he tried to handle the England players the way he handled the Leeds egos it would all have ended in tears anyway.
Yep.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 PM
12BET.COM

PalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
To view the link you have to Register or Login

I love this Brian Clough interview with John Motson. It seems even more pertinent in today's day and age. He was an incredible character and if drink hadn't beaten him he would probably still be involved in club football now.

Last edited by PalaceBhoy; 01-05-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:46 PM

N Herts Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN Herts Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN Herts Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN Herts Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN Herts Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN Herts Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN Herts Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN Herts Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN Herts Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN Herts Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN Herts Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by telodaja
The FA were scared Clough would embarass them in public. He was always controversial but at that particular time you got the impression he was saying things for effect. If they had appointed him and he tried to handle the England players the way he handled the Leeds egos it would all have ended in tears anyway.
Excellent post, Clough was one of the greats at taking a set of ordinary players mixing them with one or two greats and turning them into world beaters as a team. It was about building a team but at Leeds he had the players but the response was not there the rejection by the senior players of the methods psychology he used could have been the same in the England set up. It was also apparent by then he was suffering his own personnel demons. In a way he and our own Big Mal were similar in style with many of the same traits great tacticians but in need of another character be it Joe Mercer or Peter Taylor (the coach).....Would have loved Clough Taylor at Palace but not at England. The two great England managers Sir Alf and Bobby Robson (remember though he struggled with the press) knew how to handle the egos.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:48 PM
we are all satoshi

beef : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebeef : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebeef : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebeef : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebeef : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebeef : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebeef : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebeef : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebeef : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebeef : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebeef : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I love that interview, Clough is spot on and unfortunately the message went unheeded.

We have too many pundits, 'experts' and Robbie Savages making a living by giving us their worthless opinions.

I used to watch MOTD, then I had to record it so that I could skip through Shearer's dross and now I've given up completely. Just show the football!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Sorted out and slung out

La Bombonera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLa Bombonera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLa Bombonera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLa Bombonera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLa Bombonera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLa Bombonera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLa Bombonera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLa Bombonera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLa Bombonera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLa Bombonera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLa Bombonera : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Still have the badges that The Sun gave away at the time' "Robson Out" and "Clough for England"

Scoring goals for Palace, John Terry
Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Born in Fort Neath

Eagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the blues
Great stuff PB! Cloughie was certainly a one off!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Born in Fort Neath

Eagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the bluesEagle El is putting on two-step shoes to lose the blues
Very true beef!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 PM

leicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Even a lot of us Leicester fans would have been content to see Clough as England manager......that statement has more impact if you know the situation up here.

Last edited by leicester1; 01-05-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 PM

the kooch has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatthe kooch has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatthe kooch has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatthe kooch has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatthe kooch has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatthe kooch has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatthe kooch has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatthe kooch has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatthe kooch has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatthe kooch has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatthe kooch has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tat
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicester1
Even a lot of us Leicester fans would have been content to see Clough as England manager......that statement has more impact if you know the situation up here.
We don't
Old 01-05-2012, 07:32 PM

leicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleicester1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
You should do K..........We're rivals.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 PM
pura vida

Sunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicester1
You should do K..........We're rivals.
Most of us were aware, I'd wager
Old 01-05-2012, 07:36 PM

You'd win the bet Sunny.