Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 22-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Model for Ruddock & Molby

TWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11
I used to love how every stadium had its own quirky individual character back then. I can watch clips from those days and within a second tell you what ground it is.
Funnily enough when I've been watching 'The Big Match Revisited' each weekend I've found myself more often than not more interested in looking at the grounds/stands/old playing strips etc.....I think that despite all the flaws of those times, the grounds and football in general were far more interesting back then.
Old 22-06-2012, 08:56 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
9/3/91

Div 1

Palace 2 Southampton 1

Two second half goals in 3 minutes from Geoff Thomas sealed the match, his second from a free kick. Thomas said: 'It's normally imopossible to stop Andy Gray from taking all our free kicks, but i managed to talk him out of this one.'

The newspaper report sated that it was another 3 points to fire up our Uefa Cup challenge......little did we know the skulldugery that would conspire against us the following month.

8 minutes gone in what turned out to be our lowest home gate of the season: 14,439.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Looks like this may have been Southampton's consolation goal.

Old 22-06-2012, 09:36 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
19/3/91

ZDS Area Final 2nd leg

Palace 2 Norwich 0

Back at Wembley! Okay, it was only the ZDS but still felt good to get there. After a 1-1 draw in the 1st leg at Carrow Rd, goals from Bright and Wright led us into the final.

Mark Bright runs over to the Arthur Waite to celebrate heading Palace 2-0 up.

That's it! The final whistle blows and we're back at Wembley.

4 days later we go to Leeds in the league and win 2-1. Bare in mind it's late March, we are still 3rd and just 5 points off leaders Liverpool.
Old 22-06-2012, 10:11 AM

7/8/91

ZDS FINAL

Palace 4 Everton 1

As Thomas lifted the ZDS Cup aloft he shouted: 'WE'VE WON SOMETHING!'. Goals from Thomas, Salako and two from Wright won us the cup infront of 52,460. It was such a special day to be a Palace fan. One paper the next day reported: 'Ian Wright took Wembley by storm again yesterday to give Crystal Palace their first major trophy in the club's 71 year Football League history.'

It was a great feeling at the time, but history has consigned that Cup as not being a 'major trophy', and not something we can really pull out and brag about to other supporters. Am i being ungrateful by saying it's a shame that this great side wasn't rewarded with the FA Cup or even the League Cup instead?

In action. Note the faded American football lines still visible on the Wembley pitch courtesy of the London Monarchs. This photo is signed by the ref George Courtney (my mate who took these photos knew him). He actually turned out to be an incredibly lucky charm for us: not only refereeing this match, but also our Liverpool FA Cup semi final victory in 1990 and the game we won promotion against Blackburn in '89.

It's all over. Just by the right hand corner flag you can see the lads, having just had the customary team photo with the cup, start to make their way around for a lap of honour. Trailing behind is Coppell hand in hand with his young son.

The players proudly parade the cup infront of the jubilant Palace fans, as somewhere behind the scenes Ron Noades greatfully receives the £100,000 winners cheque. Infact, according to a report at the time, all in all we gained £300,000 from that victory.

The side show to this final was the treatment dished out by mainly Thomas, Thorn and Young on Martin Keown. He had to be helped off with 10 minutes to go to save him from further punishment. His nose was broken, his eyes were cut and bloodied and lips badly swollen. An improvement some would say. Team mate Mike Milligan said: 'You want to see the state of Martin's face. He will be in the zoo next.'

The other part that added the icing on the cake for us supporters was seeing their keeper Neville Southall, refusing to go and collect his losers medal and instead moping on his own at the other end of the pitch with his arms folded.

Last edited by bubbs11; 22-06-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 22-06-2012, 10:28 AM

13/4/91

Div 1

Palace 0 Aston Villa 0

It was always going to be hard to get ourselves up for this one after the Cup Final win - and so it proved. Coppell was against the players parading the Zenith Cup around Selhurst for fear of taking their minds off the job at hand, instead letting our youth team do the honours at half time. Is that a young Gareth Southgate leading with the cup in hand?

Villa on the attack with Tony Cascarino being shadowed by Eric Young.

Old 22-06-2012, 06:23 PM

20/4/91

Div 1

Palace 0 Everton 0

Whenever i think of this game all i think of is a feeling of huge disappointment mixed with seething anger and injustice. 3 days previously, we had beaten Spurs 1-0 at Selhurst and almost certainly clinched 3rd place and so a European spot. By Saturday we'd learned that the FA and Uefa had conspired to recind Liverpool's 3 year ban and let them take the Uefa place instead. Coppell went bananas calling the FA 'chocolate soldiers'.

The further injustice of it was that East Germany - by then a non-existent country - had 4 representatives in Europe the following season. Geoff Thomas said after the Everton match: 'I have never known the dressing room so quiet before or after a game.'

It was a stitch up job that no one outside Selhurst gave a damn about. As Coppell said: 'Who listens to Crystal Palace?'.

ANYWAY (deep sigh), understandably the Everton game was a bit of a non event, most remembered for Martin Keown getting revenge on Eric Young for what happened at Wembley with a sickening lunge, putting Ninja out for the remaining games of the season.

It looks from the picture that Wright has hit the ball wide when Thomas was better placed. Who cares! - our European dream had been robbed from us

Old 23-06-2012, 10:49 AM
You really are a fat ****

BlazeRIP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBlazeRIP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBlazeRIP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBlazeRIP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBlazeRIP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBlazeRIP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBlazeRIP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBlazeRIP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBlazeRIP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBlazeRIP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBlazeRIP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
10/11/90

Div 1

Palace 0 Arsenal 0

Our biggest home gate of the season: 28,181, sees us held at home by second placed Arsenal. This game could've gone either way and we thought we'd snatched it when Salako swept in a cross from Wright at the Whitehorse end; Salako wheeled away in delight; the scoreboard even flashed up 'GOAL!'; but the linesman had his flag up for offside.

After the game, Arsenal manager George Graham said: 'People don't give Palace the credit they deserve. They have great team spirit.'

10 mins before the break......and that's how it stayed.

Looks like Anders Limpar being booked for a foul on Phil Barber, who receives treatment.

Remember going to this match with my old man . Wasn't the Liverpool game the biggest gate of the season as im sure it was over 29k and also live on tv.Think i have the vid somewhere.
Old 23-06-2012, 11:30 AM

Polak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOSEAT EAGLE
Funnily enough when I've been watching 'The Big Match Revisited' each weekend I've found myself more often than not more interested in looking at the grounds/stands/old playing strips etc.....I think that despite all the flaws of those times, the grounds and football in general were far more interesting back then.
I fully agree. I see from your profile that you're seven years younger than me so we're nearly in the same ballpark with regards to when we started watching football. I used to collect the football league stickers and remember the old kits well, especially when comparing kits to their modern day equivalents. For example, Coventry's kit last season was very similar to their early 70s kit.

Grounds were more interesting in those days with generally 4 separate stand as opposed to the identikit new stadiums, e.g. Reading. Maine Road was a fantastic stadium before they rebuilt the Kippax and the away end. Villa Park was another fantastic ground. I remember Alan Pardew putting us 1-0 up there in 1989 when we were wearing the odd combination of yellow shirts with red shorts before David Platt scored 2 towards the end. Obviously, Villa Park was the scene of our arguably finest triumph a few months later.
Old 23-06-2012, 11:37 AM

Polak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolak : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
26/12/90

Div 1

Palace 2 Sunderland 1

Remember that Sunderland match being a real rain soaked day.
Too right. Lunchtime kick-off with the floodlights on. Remember getting into serious trouble with the missus as I went to the Goat House afterwards instead of going home to the dinner she'd prepared. Whoops!
Old 23-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Moreso than any of our other stands, the Arthur Wait looks so wonderful when full, and so sad when sparsely populated.

At games, I would always glance first at the AW to see what sort of crowd/atmosphere there would be.
Old 23-06-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
9/3/91

Div 1

Palace 2 Southampton 1

8 minutes gone in what turned out to be our lowest home gate of the season: 14,439.

Strangely low attendance given. The photos show the Whitehorse and Holmesdale terraces reasonably busy with the Arfur also being quite well populated. Someone manipulating the figures? Happened quite a bit, especially with Chelsea game above at the start of the season where we won 2-1 - it was impossible to move, yet the attendance was below capacity.

Last edited by Polak; 23-06-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 23-06-2012, 12:50 PM

Tom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOSEAT EAGLE
I much prefer the old grounds. Far more character, and far better atmosphere (in most cases). Personally, I'd be disappointed if Palace ever left Selhurst for some state-of-the-art pile of meccano.
Old 23-06-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom's Old Man
I much prefer the old grounds. Far more character, and far better atmosphere (in most cases). Personally, I'd be disappointed if Palace ever left Selhurst for some state-of-the-art pile of meccano.
This.
Old 24-06-2012, 03:57 PM

4/5/91

Div 1

Wimbledon 0 Palace 3

A 19 minute 2nd half hat-trick from Ian Wright saw yet another win against our South London rivals. Wright's 2nd was probabaly one of the best Palace goals i've ever seen, lobbing Hans Segars from over 40 yards out - Segars was actually only standing on the edge of his 6 yard box.

It was a game which we struggled in a bit, until Wright decided to take it by the scruff of the neck. Of course there was the joy post match of seeing such a brilliant hat trick, but there was also that uneasy feeling inside that you tried to ignore: 'how long can we keep hold of someone this good?' Not much longer as it turned out.

This picture is taken from the 1st half. It also shows you how amazing it was that a top flight side were still able to operate in what was in actual fact, a 3rd or 4th division stadium. I have to say i loved that about Wimbledon and the fact Man U and Liverpool's prima donnas had to come and slum it every season down there. For all their critics, Wimbledon made the top flight a much more diverse and colourful league.

Old 24-06-2012, 04:22 PM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
4/5/91

Div 1

Wimbledon 0 Palace 3

A 19 minute 2nd half hat-trick from Ian Wright saw yet another win against our South London rivals. Wright's 2nd was probabaly one of the best Palace goals i've ever seen, lobbing Hans Segars from over 40 yards out - Segars was actually only standing on the edge of his 6 yard box.

It was a game which we struggled in a bit, until Wright decided to take it by the scruff of the neck. Of course there was the joy post match of seeing such a brilliant hat trick, but there was also that uneasy feeling inside that you tried to ignore: 'how long can we keep hold of someone this good?' Not much longer as it turned out.

This picture is taken from the 1st half. It also shows you how amazing it was that a top flight side were still able to operate in what was in actual fact, a 3rd or 4th division stadium. I have to say i loved that about Wimbledon and the fact Man U and Liverpool's prima donnas had to come and slum it every season down there. For all their critics, Wimbledon made the top flight a much more diverse and colourful league.

I was there and remember two things, one was Wrights long distant goal and the disgusting toilets.
Old 24-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
[QUOTE=bubbs11]13/4/91

Div 1

Palace 0 Aston Villa 0

. Is that a young Gareth Southgate leading with the cup in hand?

osborne

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Tenim un nom, el sap tothom
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 24-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Not again Wayne

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
4/5/91

you forget how compact Plough Lane was. I often visited Plough Lane the following season watching the Palace reserves on a Monday evening, and struggled with leg room.
btw: Wright's lob for the second goal was sublime, and seeing Shaw's reaction after the goal said so much about the quality of Wright.
Old 24-06-2012, 04:36 PM

11/5/91

Div 1

Palace 3 Man Utd 0

Final day of the season. 25,301 saw Palace clinch 3rd place against a United side that had other things on their mind: a Cup Winners Cup date against Barcelona the following week. Still a polished victory though with Wright getting his 25th of the season and Salako netting twice, his second a 25 yard classic.

Before the game, to commemorate Virgin's last day as Palace's sponsor, a Virgin Atlantic hot air balloon was set to take off from the middle of the pitch. The only problem is it refused to lift off and was dragged off instead.

It was very much a celebratory atmosphere after what was Palace's most successful league season ever. These smaller balloons managed to take off as the scoreboard runs through the teams.

In action. Not sure if this led to one of our goals, but Bright and Salako are in the centre of things as Denis Irwin and keeper Gary Walsh try and keep us out.

Other seasons had finished with a mass pitch invasion, but several loudspeaker requests meant the Palace fans stayed put, allowing the players an orderly salute around the ground. Shaw, Bright, Salako and Gray here.

The goose that laid the golden eggs takes a bow. This sadly was Wrighty's final end of season at Palace. Despite an incredible campaign, it was Geoff Thomas that landed the Palace Player of the Year award. That summer, Thomas, Wright, Salako and Martyn all represented England on tour of Australia, New Zealand and Malaysia.

Old 24-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
A notable thing about that ManUre match was our Eagle mascot carrying round a banner wishing ManUre good luck in the European Cup, which I found utterly revolting.
Old 24-06-2012, 05:08 PM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychokiller
A notable thing about that ManUre match was our Eagle mascot carrying round a banner wishing ManUre good luck in the European Cup, which I found utterly revolting.
Although most of the crowd belied true feelings, chanting 'Barcelona' throughout the majority of the 2nd half. Something that got right up their noses judging by the letters to their programme and fanzine the following season