Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 21-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking2curl1
From sitting in the corner of the holmesdale it always strikes me how big the footprint of the Arthur Waite stand is and how shallow the seats are currently. Surely if it were demolished it would provide a big enough footprint for a large modern replacement?

Also when you walk along park road you notice how low it seems which I'd imagine would allow a much larger (higher) structure in its place without depriving local residents of light.

Both ends of the ground look ok to me so I would think a new Arthur, followed by a new main stand a couple of years later and we would be looking at a decent ground, modern but still with the character that we have today. We could even adjoin the corners to the holmesdale as the sides are tapered to allow that.

Obviously the sinking holmesdale is another issue.

Sorry bored on the train to the game and wanted to share!
^^^ This is the key point to rebuilding the AW. You can actually see the houses behind the stand in this pic meaning light might not be as big an issue as you'd think. A cleverly designed new roof would not necessarily affect those houses but could create a lot more room behind the stand for facilities, as well as a 2nd mini-tier plus the opportunity to join the AW to the Holmesdale and therefore increase overall capacity.

Old 21-02-2013, 04:56 PM
This was a triumph.....

red&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
To be honest I reckon sinking the level of the pitch and increasing the incline of the seats is potentially a good way forward if you want to actually increase capacity and leave extra space for facilities in the stands.
Old 21-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Let it Be

Riccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I love Selhurst, yes it's a bit rubbish but it's a real football ground.

And it's difficult to say, about my beloved football team + ground, that redeveloping Palace would be like polishing a turd.

But I do think redeveloping Selhurst would be a little like polishing a turd.

CPP would be awesome....wouldn't the sale of Selhurst help to fund the developing of the new stadium ?

I guess all the local objections (myself and Pistol Knight excluded) would take ages to process and courts, lawyers etc....but look at our chums from the south coast.....they eventually got their wonky new ground !
Old 21-02-2013, 05:45 PM

Isle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was at the Crystal Palace Sports Stadium on monday and thought what a fantastic place it would be to home us there, even if it would be a worst journey for me. I have no clue on the possibilities, I believe Bromley council are a bit arsey, but it would get my vote.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Old 21-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I don't think we'll get the CPP site but we've certainly got a better chance now than we've ever had in the past.
Old 21-02-2013, 06:18 PM

Ifill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I would love us to return to Crystal Palace Park, it is the perfect setting for a 1st class stadium. It is our spiritual home. It gave birth to the club. It is where we belong.

The problem is it will be a hard long battle, even harder as we already have a home. We have to take the long term view and make it our home, if even that takes 20 years. Short/Medium Term we have to redevelop Selhurst but I think we have to be smart and make the right choices. We have to redevelop Selhurst to me out aspirations.
Old 21-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifill Over
I would love us to return to Crystal Palace Park, it is the perfect setting for a 1st class stadium. It is our spiritual home. It gave birth to the club. It is where we belong.

The problem is it will be a hard long battle, even harder as we already have a home. We have to take the long term view and make it our home, if even that takes 20 years. Short/Medium Term we have to redevelop Selhurst but I think we have to be smart and make the right choices. We have to redevelop Selhurst to me out aspirations.
^^ This is the main point. We have to develop Selhurst asap regardless of whether the long-term plan includes CPP or not.

I dont understand the "polishing a turd" comment though. The Holmesdale stand does exactly what's required, a decent view to watch a game of football and a reasonable bar to have a drink in. Not sure what more you really need?
Old 21-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Not to sink?
Old 21-02-2013, 07:19 PM
#Hadron Collider

in-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Wight
I was at the Crystal Palace Sports Stadium on monday and thought what a fantastic place it would be to home us there, even if it would be a worst journey for me. I have no clue on the possibilities, I believe Bromley council are a bit arsey, but it would get my vote.
Puts the Palace back in Kent...Yes Please.
Old 21-02-2013, 07:21 PM
#Hadron Collider

in-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychokiller
I don't think we'll get the CPP site but we've certainly got a better chance now than we've ever had in the past.
Why.
Old 21-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by in-exile
Why.
Because the athletics stadium is pretty much redundant?
Old 21-02-2013, 07:23 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
The NSC has not future, has a listed stand and no real income streams. The swimming and sports building is an eyesore that is not going to get any real money spent on it. The wider park area is not kept in the greatest standard and no-one has any intention of investing in the site. Except for property developers who see it as a prime site for development as it is sold off piece by piece to stop the buildings and site being condemned.

What is the option? How about Crystal Palace Sports Club, comprising CPFC, and all manor of sports teams, basketball, swimming, handball etc etc etc become a centre of excellence for all sports and facilities befitting it. Also looking after the wider park area.

If the site was given for free and permission for the ground given, would that make it financially viable?

What would the local residents prefer of those 2 options?
Old 21-02-2013, 07:25 PM
#Hadron Collider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbski

Finally, I wouldn't mind seeing the main camera position from Arthur Wait being switched over to the "new" Main Stand too. I think our ground would look ace from there with the holmesdale fanatics and CPFC advertising in the far corner, along with the sight of both home and away fans getting behind the team. When Selhurst is rocking, TV never does it justice as it is.
plus no Sun into the Camera.
Old 21-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
Because the athletics stadium is pretty much redundant?
Why does that mean we would get it?
Old 21-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Why does that mean we would get it?
It doesn't. But we stand more of a chance without the athletics being held there.
Old 21-02-2013, 07:39 PM
#Hadron Collider

Quote:
It doesn't. But we stand more of a chance without the athletics being held there.
We ARE the only people that want the site, That i know of anyway
Old 21-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Canterbury Eagle

NateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
That's very kind of you. Once there is some definite news it would be good if Palace fans with concrete (as it were) experience could offer to help.
I'm a planning consultant with 9 years experience at both local authority and private consultancy. Never worked on a stadium but have experience with some large projects and would be happy to give my thoughts though no doubt you have already sought planning advice
Old 21-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Quote:
But why?
Old 21-02-2013, 08:14 PM

MARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroller
Just a thought...
I'm a commercial director for a main contractor. I'm sure there must be other fans who are in the building and property industry. I'd be happy to devote a half day now and then to meet and discuss options and give advice (free obviously). I've no experience of stadium work but there are others in my company that do, so it may be of use.
I'm not suggesting a comprehensive project management team, or anything official, but if there are others out there we could perhaps be available to give some unofficial advice?
By the way, I've seen some of the posts on this thread, please understand this is not a corporate promotion, but I know from experience that building is a totally new experience to a lot of clients and any early input can be helpful.
Just a thought - anybody else out there who feel they could help with this?

Steve,

I am a Building Manager for a Main London Developer. Again I have no experience in Stadium Development. However the functions in Construction generally remain the same for many types of build. For example a Concrete Frame constructed Multi Storey Car Park, Office Building, Apartment Block and Football Stadium are all very similar. My very strong advice would be that once the Architect has had Plans approved and Structural Engineer has started his design work you should organise regular Value Engineering Meetings. As a “General Rule of Thumb” Design Consultants tend to get carried away and spend far far too much of the Clients money and need constant reining in. Without going into specific details there are always more cost effective ways of doing things. For example. I am fully confident that the main Structure of the AW Stand could be redeveloped very quickly and at a fraction of the cost of demolishing and rebuilding. Rip off the old Roof – a couple of Piled Anchor Foundations for a nice new Cantilevered Roof – Job done.

Anyway as a 45 year + Palace Supporter, like Stroller, I would be more than happy to offer any help free of any charge or obligations. Having been in the Construction Industry for 30+ years I obviously have many contacts and lots of experience. Feel free to contact me for any help even if it’s to have a beer and bounce some idea’s around.

Regards,

Mark.
Old 21-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin
To be honest I reckon sinking the level of the pitch and increasing the incline of the seats is potentially a good way forward if you want to actually increase capacity and leave extra space for facilities in the stands.

As I understand it, the former brick site that Selhurst Park sits in is clay bordered by gravel on the western side. Trying to lower the pitch would likely result in a lake.