Home | Forums | Gallery | Predictions | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 24-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
How can I use my old smartphone on wifi only

hi, I am not sure if I am being dumb again but I have a Sony Experia Arc smartphone and have used that successfully since it was launched. The other day in a weak moment I upgraded to a nice shiny Experia Z1 - pretty good so far with an awesome 20 megapixel camera. All fine and dandy. But being nave I thought my arc would be useful as a local controller across the wifi network. I have apps on it already and so on and don't need to update them.

However I can't even connect to my local network anymore :-( It would seem that unless your Sim is active you can't access the network at all rendering the phone as a useless lump of metal pretty much.

So a couple of questions:

I am being daft - is there something I should be doing to make it work?
- to save time, I have tried with the Sim in and out
- I have tried airplane mode with the wifi turned back on
- I have even read a little around unblocking and also removing the boot-loader (I think with the view of removing the SIM check?) but this phone seems to be not a good candidate for either of these (maybe more so the unblocking).

The only way forward I can find is to get a pay as you go SIM for 10 and make a call either the phone every 6 months. Then I think I would get 999 days, This assumes I have understood.

I must be getting old (which I guess is a truism) but I object to paying a ****ing fortune for the phone in the first place, for paying monthly rental etc. with O2 since they were Cellnet or whatever it was and now they want to charge me a 10 up front to use my own network with my own device! (All of this assumes there is no other clauses I have missed).

Anyone done this with the same mobile, another or know a smart way to do this. I am not trying to cheat anyone - just trying to avoid being screwed again.

So in essence I would be renting
Old 24-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Wasn't me

Oisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Must be model specific. Every phone I've had works on wifi without SIM
I'd contact Sony
Old 24-09-2013, 08:41 PM

Martin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMartin H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin View Post
Must be model specific. Every phone I've had works on wifi without SIM
I'd contact Sony
OK thanks - it does seem a bit weird. I have already contacted O2 and they said that all phones were the same but I was doubtful tbh because it makes little sense.

If anyone else has any other experience/ideas - please drop them on here :-)
Old 25-09-2013, 05:10 AM
Wasn't me

Oisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOisin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Could be the carrier locked it not Sony
Old 25-09-2013, 05:46 AM
Keeping the peace

Goldberg Basher is a gunboat in a sea of fearGoldberg Basher is a gunboat in a sea of fearGoldberg Basher is a gunboat in a sea of fearGoldberg Basher is a gunboat in a sea of fearGoldberg Basher is a gunboat in a sea of fearGoldberg Basher is a gunboat in a sea of fearGoldberg Basher is a gunboat in a sea of fearGoldberg Basher is a gunboat in a sea of fearGoldberg Basher is a gunboat in a sea of fearGoldberg Basher is a gunboat in a sea of fearGoldberg Basher is a gunboat in a sea of fear
My old O2 iphone 3 works fine on wifi since upgrading to another device last year.
Old 25-09-2013, 11:11 AM

immoralgiant has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperimmoralgiant has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperimmoralgiant has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperimmoralgiant has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperimmoralgiant has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperimmoralgiant has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperimmoralgiant has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperimmoralgiant has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperimmoralgiant has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperimmoralgiant has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperimmoralgiant has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipper
Should be fine to use with Wi-Fi only unless your carrier put some ridiculous locks on it.

Having airplane mode on means it definitely won't work.

As there is no SIM, you shouldn't need to but you can disable 2G/3G from the settings, enabling WiFi.

Alternatively you could try getting a GifGaf free SIM and putting that in, i.e. not activating but just having the SIM in although I imagine you'll get the same message.
Old 26-09-2013, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I am currently exchanging painful emails with Sony who have answered every other conceivable problem but the one I am asking about. I suspect therefore that its O2 that have done something nasty to the phone.

Will post info if I get to the bottom of it or if one of these ideas works.

Thx again