Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 19-11-2013, 07:12 PM
pdemeagle @eaglism

eaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
1993-'94 League winning Season under Alan Smith !

Dear fellow CPFC fans (prepare for a mini essay please) but I would appreciate knowing how you rate this team, manager and particular season for CPFC please ?

I ask this as I feel, IMHO, I rarely see it mentioned here or on HOL when people pine for our past glories in light of our recent times !

As to why ? Well this was the season I first caught the Palace bug when brought to my first 2 games aged 13, 5-1 over Pompey and 2-0 over Forest and I thought we were class ! However I remember very little of it from then on due to the much lower levels of coverage back then in Ireland !

For the record I actually didn't support anyone upto then, for those who don't believe this just remember football was at nowhere near the saturation level it is now, and my reason both for being at Palace and sticking with them is because I was brought by family who live in the area and they still do.

Therefore that was my, as far as I was concerned, legitimate reason to be a CPFC fan rather than be a Glory Hunting a*se following Man Utd over those years, or worse the new Chelski or worse the even more shameless new Man City fans, urgh !

Thanks in advance, PD.

Proud of the lads that saved us in 2010/11 and of the Lads who brought us up 2012/13 and then kept us in the PL in 2013/14, at last !

Honestly never thought I'd see a CPFC win at Old Trafford in my Lifetime, I will always remember Manchester United 1-2 Crystal Palace on 30/11/11, not to mention Dazzas Goal :D
Old 19-11-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm just cheese

davemorris04 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavemorris04 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavemorris04 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavemorris04 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavemorris04 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavemorris04 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavemorris04 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavemorris04 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavemorris04 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavemorris04 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavemorris04 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Armstrong was class.
Old 19-11-2013, 07:24 PM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It was actually rather bizarre given that we seemed (or at least thats how my addled memory remembers it) to stroll it with no real dramas or tension.
Old 19-11-2013, 07:24 PM
pdemeagle @eaglism

eaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yeah he got a hat-trick v Pompey that day IIRC !

Do you remember our style of play throughout that season ? Just curious, thanks.

Proud of the lads that saved us in 2010/11 and of the Lads who brought us up 2012/13 and then kept us in the PL in 2013/14, at last !

Honestly never thought I'd see a CPFC win at Old Trafford in my Lifetime, I will always remember Manchester United 1-2 Crystal Palace on 30/11/11, not to mention Dazzas Goal :D
Old 19-11-2013, 07:34 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat ov CPFC View Post
It was actually rather bizarre given that we seemed (or at least thats how my addled memory remembers it) to stroll it with no real dramas or tension.
Only drama as I remember was no wins in the first two games, and Smith taking the blame for the defeat at Bristol City and turning it around. He looked like a quality manager that season.
Old 19-11-2013, 07:39 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
I think there were two big deciding games: the home win against Millwall, and the draw up at Forest.
Old 19-11-2013, 07:51 PM
On the learning curve

MENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Defining moment of the season was the arrival of Paul Stewart.
The pretty football of early season had gone, 3 defeats on the bounce at Millwall and 2 defeats at Wolves in a week ok one was in the FA Cup, we needed a physical presence up front to support Armstrong as our play was getting more direct so Paul Williams was a waste of space.
In came in Stewart and that was final piece of the jigsaw. He may not have scored too many goals but he made a massive difference.
Amazing how Smith thought our midfield of that time would be any good in the Premier as it was very much the weakest part of the team. Take yer pick from Bowry,Southgate,Newman,Rodger.
Old 19-11-2013, 07:53 PM
One Henry Hughton

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
We were impressive all season and went top after about 20 games and stayed there.
Here is a link to a site that gives a statistical analysis of the season.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 19-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Not again Wayne

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
I think there were two big deciding games: the home win against Millwall, and the draw up at Forest.
agreed. Also the result at Stoke in in late March with two second half goals showed our dominance.
Damien Matthew's curled effort at the city ground to secure a point, and seeing a few fans get on the pitch, (no pyro's in the mid 90's )
We actually secured promotion on a non match day, Millwall who were a decent side under Mccarthy at the time drew at home to Forest on a Sunday and the point took us up, and we secured the title the following week away to Middlesborough a week later to secure the title.
People rave about the 1990/1991 season, but 1993/1994 will probably never be surpassed imo.
Fans moan about the non saturday football now, but we probably had 10 games on a Sunday that campaign........good old Endsleigh league, Selhurst Park was a home from home for messrs Gabrielle Clarke & Matt Lorenzo
Old 19-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Not again Wayne

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
as a 15 year old and I could get on the Holmesdale terrace during the championship season for 4
The following season I was paying 18 (still a concession) per game in the Arthur Wait whilst the Holmesdale was being redeveloped
Old 19-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Pokemon Trainer

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
The Leicester Home game where we came back from 1 down to win 2-1 was a real key game that season. I don't think we dropped from top spot after that game.

We might not have the League record points or anything like that but I do think that is one of the strongest ever squads on the second tier ever...

Nigel Martyn
John Humphrey
Chris Coleman
Eric Young
Richard Shaw
Andy Thorn
Dean Gordon
John Salako
Bobby Bowry
Rick Newman
Gareth Southgate
Simon Rodger
Chris Armstrong
Paul Williams
David Whyte
Paul Stewart

I have probably missed some but you get the picture.
Old 19-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Buying BFS a pint of wine

JAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Was about 15 aswell at the time.

The following PL season that team should have finished somewhere in the top 12

Unfortunately Noades purse strings were tightly shut meaning we signed about 3 players, the likes of Andy Preece. That combined with alan smiths tactics meant we were doomed. Especially with 4 going down, of course we had to take the 4th spot.

Why didn't we sign Paul Stewart i can't remember now ?
Old 19-11-2013, 09:25 PM
On the learning curve

MENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
The Leicester Home game where we came back from 1 down to win 2-1 was a real key game that season. I don't think we dropped from top spot after that game.

We might not have the League record points or anything like that but I do think that is one of the strongest ever squads on the second tier ever...

Nigel Martyn
John Humphrey
Chris Coleman
Eric Young
Richard Shaw
Andy Thorn
Dean Gordon
John Salako
Bobby Bowry
Rick Newman
Gareth Southgate
Simon Rodger
Chris Armstrong
Paul Williams
David Whyte
Paul Stewart

I have probably missed some but you get the picture.
Certainly in the defence and a great goalie. Bit over dependent on Armstrong up front, but with the flair of Salako out wide (Bit like Murray and Zaha last season) but that midfield must have been one of the weakest to win a title at this level.
Old 19-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Not again Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS78 View Post
Why didn't we sign Paul Stewart i can't remember now ?
Stewart was open to a permanent move, but noades bulked at the 1.1m figure put on him by liverpool on top of his wages so opted to soend 400k on preece and his rather modest wages
Old 19-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Buying BFS a pint of wine

JAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJAS78 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
Stewart was open to a permanent move, but noades bulked at the 1.1m figure put on him by liverpool on top of his wages so opted to soend 400k on preece and his rather modest wages
We really wasted that opportunity.
Old 19-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Not again Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS78 View Post
We really wasted that opportunity.
Not forgetting the potential move for usa94' hero Kennett Anderson instead we end up with Armstrong's bestmate from Stockport....... Only happens at Palace
There were stories that Preece was bought in an attempt to keep Armstrong happy.....from memory leeds/Everton were both linked in the summer of 94'
Old 19-11-2013, 11:41 PM
CPFC season ticket holder

David was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDavid was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDavid was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDavid was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDavid was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDavid was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDavid was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDavid was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDavid was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDavid was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDavid was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
Armstrong was amazing that season.
Paul Stewart was excellent and should have been signed.
David Whyte showed glimpses of brilliance, West Brom away for instance, the next Ian Wright, but for some reason he never really made it as a first teamer.
Salako versus Stoke, enough said!
Dean Gordon's goal against Derby.

Great season.
Old 20-11-2013, 12:04 AM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
Quote:
Not forgetting the potential move for usa94' hero Kennett Anderson instead we end up with Armstrong's bestmate from Stockport....... Only happens at Palace
Didn't we have a fee agreed before the world cup, but then he scored about 300 goals in a week and his price quadrupled?

I vaguely recall beating Charlton at home with a goal scored by the groundsman. Well, not literally - but I don't think it would've gone in without the bounce off that lovely patch of fresh turf that had been laid just inside the 6 yard box
Old 20-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Burbs Palace

Typical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
There were stories that Preece was bought in an attempt to keep Armstrong happy.....from memory leeds/Everton were both linked in the summer of 94'
From Stokholm to Stockport
Old 20-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Banned by Moderators

PalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
West Brom away and Stoke away were my favourites that season. West Brom was the day we all thought this team is for real. Pretty sure we went a goal down but we absolutely rinsed them in the second half. I could hear West Brom fans creaming themselves on the way out over how good we were. Stoke was different. The long season was taking it's toll but Paul Stewarts arrival had somehow given the side a renewed impetus. Stoke away in March was always going to be a tough fixture though. Vividly remember Stewart getting pulled down to win a pen in the 2nd half. The ref pointed to the spot and Stewart still on his front pumped his fist at the travelling fans. 2-0 get in! Hairy experience getting back to the station but 3 points made it all worthwhile.