Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 20-11-2013, 02:02 PM
One Henry Hughton

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west eagle View Post
great season

highs of Millwall at home on the Holmesdale!! Armstrong!!!!!!!

lows was Notts County doing the double and the were all but relegated by Christmas!!
(and millwall away)

and boro away, we get promoted & the Senna crash
That was always going to happen as they were on a run of about 40 games without an away win and it was televised live.
Old 20-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
With the exception of "The Last Stand" I think my abiding memory of that season was beating Bristol City (4-1 was it?) in sub zero temperatures with sleet falling all around. Was fvcking freezing that day.

Also remember Salako scoring a comeback hat trick, think it was against Stoke.

That was basically Coppell's team. With the exception of Paul Stewart, Smith's signings were pretty nondescript on the whole.
Old 20-11-2013, 02:37 PM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
We won it by 7 points so hardly that close. I will always be disappointed we didn't show up for the last game of the season vs Watford.
Have you seen the gap between what Millwall got in 3rd place ? You are right about the Watford game though and a 10 point margin of victory would have been even sweeter but even so, we romped that league. And it aint often you can write that about Palace.
Old 20-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Shittest game of the season - Millwall away. Was that the year that we were totally schooled by Etienne Verveer?
Old 20-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
Shittest game of the season - Millwall away. Was that the year that we were totally schooled by Etienne Verveer?
Yep, that was a fvcking embarrassment that was. Pretty sure Smith bid for Verveer shortly afterwards.
Old 20-11-2013, 02:48 PM
On the learning curve

MENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Yep Jeremy Beadle was a handful in that game as well if I recall.
Another stinker was Middlesboro (0-1) at home a couple of days after we had mullered Charlton 2-0 live on the telly box.
Old 20-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Searching the Holy Grail

selhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murray
Can anybody post a link of the season's results attendances etc please?

I got 11/1 at the start of the season on us winning the league. It's the most confident I have ever been or ever will be of Palace success.
Old 20-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
Quote:
I will always be disappointed we didn't show up for the last game of the season vs Watford.
Fantastic pitch invasion afterwards though. I remember finding 10 on the floor & going in the club shop to find the white away kit for sale at 9.99 - I was a very happy 8 year old on the way back from SE25 that day.
Old 20-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
We won it by 7 points so hardly that close. I will always be disappointed we didn't show up for the last game of the season vs Watford.
From what I recall, they did the trophy ceremony etc before the game, and the players said they were exhausted before the game even began. It should have been done at the end.
Old 20-11-2013, 03:13 PM
On the learning curve

MENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMENTALLY TOUGH : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
From what I recall, they did the trophy ceremony etc before the game, and the players said they were exhausted before the game even began. It should have been done at the end.
& the players wore those taccy "WE'RE BACK" t-shirts. during the ceremony.
Old 20-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Benevolence personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by MENTALLY TOUGH View Post
& the players wore those taccy "WE'RE BACK" t-shirts. during the ceremony.
Judging by your username, this was the thread you were waiting for!

I've joked about it on here before, but I always remember When Nigel Martyn was asked about what effect the newly appointed Smith had had on the squad, and he said something about him having some flowers planted around the dressing rooms!
Old 20-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Pokemon Trainer

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
When I posted it earlier afterwards I thought, hmmm they were probably all pissed whilst playing.

I went to Millwall away on New Years Day as a nine year old. Never experienced such hate, scum and vitriol aimed at 6-9 year olds by a bunch of 50+ year old men. It is memory that has always stuck with me and the main reason why I will always hate Millwall more than Brighton.

Other personal memories:
Going to see us mid week against Peterborough at home, turning up to find we were 0-1 down and getting the flu.
Freezing my arse off at the Bristol City game PK mentioned.
Ranting to my friends that we were denied a blatant winner at Home to Bolton and saying I was going to write to the FA.
My Dad never bloody buying me the Green goalkeeper shirt I pestered him for every single game.
Old 20-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Searching the Holy Grail

selhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murray
My old man was accosted at that Millwall game too. The whole experience was horrible.

Southend away sticks in my mind and Millwall at home was sweet revenge; I seem to remember they had a cast iron pen turned down as well? Shame.
Old 20-11-2013, 05:24 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Oxford away on what was the boxing day fixture was brilliant.

Someone had the idea that there woulod be no sales in advance and it would be pay on the day only. Oxford were getting crowds of aboyr 5.5k-6k in their league games at the time and Palace took close to 10k there that day if i remember rightly. People were watching from up trees, they were shifting oxford fans around to try and open up more sections for Palace fans to get in as thousands were outside.
Old 20-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Pokemon Trainer

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhurstparkflyer View Post
My old man was accosted at that Millwall game too. The whole experience was horrible.

Southend away sticks in my mind and Millwall at home was sweet revenge; I seem to remember they had a cast iron pen turned down as well? Shame.
Not sure about that but Nige should have walked for a blatant professional foul that he only got a yellow for.
Old 20-11-2013, 05:33 PM

Manc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not say
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhurstparkflyer View Post

My main memory of that match was Nigel Martyn charging out and flooring Jeremy Beadle (striker David Mitchell?) and then sheepishly trying to avoid getting sent off, which he achieved!
Old 20-11-2013, 05:37 PM

Manc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not say
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychokiller View Post
With the exception of "The Last Stand" I think my abiding memory of that season was beating Bristol City (4-1 was it?) in sub zero temperatures with sleet falling all around. Was fvcking freezing that day.

Also remember Salako scoring a comeback hat trick, think it was against Stoke.

That was basically Coppell's team. With the exception of Paul Stewart, Smith's signings were pretty nondescript on the whole.
I can't remember who it was against but either in his come back game or there abouts the away fans were singing "you'll never play for England" to Salako, which was pretty thick as at that stage he alread had done! He then went on to score a hatrick - 1 goal was a stunner IIRC!
Old 20-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Searching the Holy Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manc Eagle View Post
My main memory of that match was Nigel Martyn charging out and flooring Jeremy Beadle (striker David Mitchell?) and then sheepishly trying to avoid getting sent off, which he achieved!
Oh yeah! It's coming back now.
Old 20-11-2013, 05:48 PM

Wycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is here
Loved that season and done my most ever games in a season. Particularly remember the early away games at Birmingham midweek and West Brom where we tore them apart!

Great counter attacking football we played and seemed to take thousands at most away days. In fact the away games were the best memories. The two mentioned above, Stoke, the Oxford lock out, Forest, Watford, Portsmouth, Barnsley and Armstrongs 9 second goal and winning the league at boro. Think we had two 30000 crowds at the end of the season, obviously the Watford one and I think it was barnsley before that was virtually full.

There was a strong midlands challenge that year and remember teams like Derby and I think Leicester scoring against us and having mini pitch invasions which we then returned when Damian Martin equalised at Forest

The 2 pivotable points in the season for me was drawing away at Forest and getting Paul Stewart in.
Old 20-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Pokemon Trainer

I think we beat Barnsley 1-0 at Home to confirm a play off spot or promotion didn't we? I seem to remember it being quite a nervous affair and we scored quite late?