Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Away Fans End

Notices

Away Fans End The away fans end

Old 11-08-2014, 11:14 AM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
Brightons Finances

This is a thread for a grown up discussion of Brighton's finances. Can we keep any laughter in the LOL or Insights threads

I don't think their 30/6/2013 accounts have been readily looked at across the internet so I've got them and itemised some of the items in the P&L (see attached) and it throws up some interesting issues. I'm an actuary rather than an accountant so would be interested in any views from our resident bean counters and any sensible NSCer lurkers but a few things that jump out to me are:

1. just over a third of their income comes directly from ordinary ticket holders. They do pretty well on sponsorship and advertising but its difficult to see where they can go too much further increasing income from the ordinary fan ?

2. it shows how important the central payment from the Prem League is to clubs in the Championship and why the Chairmen had to vote in the EPPP thing

3. You can see why they are struggling to get players in. Their wage bill seems pretty big and needs managing I'd guess !

4. The mega big elephant in the room. The 'Administrative & operational costs' item which I've been harping on about for ages !! The 2012 accounts suggested that this was a consequence of having a 'state of the art' stadium ie they were effectively fixed overheads ! The 2013 accounts seem to confirm this since they say they are 'reasonable compared to last year' and are a bit higher due to redundancy payments ie they are here to stay ! If they are fixed overheads then that really is a big worry and would suggest the Amex could turn out to be a massive financial mistake !

Unless I'm missing something I can't see how Brighton can possibly get their losses substantially down without Premier League football ? (accounts say they need to get their losses down to 8m for YE14). I can't see ticket income increasing much. They could improve their commercial revenue a bit and maybe reduce the Admin & operating costs a tad but that would be a few mill max here and there.

They obviously need to reduce the wage bill but if I was running this company I'd be worried. Obviously they need TB to be around else Administration is a certainty unless they get promoted.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brighton 1213 P&L.pdf (33.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 11-08-2014, 11:49 AM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglejez View Post
This is a thread for a grown up discussion of Brighton's finances. Can we keep any laughter in the LOL or Insights threads

I don't think their 30/6/2013 accounts have been readily looked at across the internet so I've got them and itemised some of the items in the P&L (see attached) and it throws up some interesting issues. I'm an actuary rather than an accountant so would be interested in any views from our resident bean counters and any sensible NSCer lurkers but a few things that jump out to me are:

1. just over a third of their income comes directly from ordinary ticket holders. They do pretty well on sponsorship and advertising but its difficult to see where they can go too much further increasing income from the ordinary fan ?

2. it shows how important the central payment from the Prem League is to clubs in the Championship and why the Chairmen had to vote in the EPPP thing

3. You can see why they are struggling to get players in. Their wage bill seems pretty big and needs managing I'd guess !

4. The mega big elephant in the room. The 'Administrative & operational costs' item which I've been harping on about for ages !! The 2012 accounts suggested that this was a consequence of having a 'state of the art' stadium ie they were effectively fixed overheads ! The 2013 accounts seem to confirm this since they say they are 'reasonable compared to last year' and are a bit higher due to redundancy payments ie they are here to stay ! If they are fixed overheads then that really is a big worry and would suggest the Amex could turn out to be a massive financial mistake !

Unless I'm missing something I can't see how Brighton can possibly get their losses substantially down without Premier League football ? (accounts say they need to get their losses down to 8m for YE14). I can't see ticket income increasing much. They could improve their commercial revenue a bit and maybe reduce the Admin & operating costs a tad but that would be a few mill max here and there.

They obviously need to reduce the wage bill but if I was running this company I'd be worried. Obviously they need TB to be around else Administration is a certainty unless they get promoted.
I really don't have any substantial knowledge of this type of financial results, but common sense told me at the outset that PL football would be an absolute necessity to make this work and sustain it.

Burnley for example, and us of course, will have to use the PL money to upgrade stadia etc and of course grow other revenue streams, but at least it can be financially tailored accordingly. Brighton of course would have been laughing if they'd got promoted, but they didn't, to me I'd rather have done it the way we are.

We have a Bentley and are having to build a suitable garage around and for it, but can afford it. Brighton have a luxury garage but can't afford to fill it.

The Amex was/ is a huge gamble, despite Bloom's apparent wealth. The novelty is wearing off and revenue will suffer, unless they get lucky.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:52 AM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penstone Eagle View Post
I really don't have any substantial knowledge of this type of financial results, but common sense told me at the outset that PL football would be an absolute necessity to make this work and sustain it.

Burnley for example, and us of course, will have to use the PL money to upgrade stadia etc and of course grow other revenue streams, but at least it can be financially tailored accordingly. Brighton of course would have been laughing if they'd got promoted, but they didn't, to me I'd rather have done it the way we are.

I used an analogy once to describe ours and Brightons situation.

We have a Bentley and are having to build a suitable garage around and for it, but can afford it. Brighton have a luxury garage but can't afford to fill it.

The Amex was/ is a huge gamble, despite Bloom's apparent wealth. The novelty is wearing off and revenue will suffer, unless they get lucky.
yep - I think the Amex is essentially a net cost of at least 6m pa ie Brighton would be much better off financially without it.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Their transfer activity this year will be telling. If they don't reinvest much or any if the Ulloa money back into the team, it will surely be a sign that Bloom is baulking at just how much this vanity project is costing him.

Of course, their fans will harp on about some noble, moral crusade about FFP, but the simple fact will be that Bloom massively overspent on infrastructure, massively overspent on transfers and wages to get ahead during the Poyet years. He's now reining it in for his own benefit before it snowballs even further.

They rolled the dice, came up short, and now snipe and sneer at every other club who are having their shot.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Is the 27k income received in respect of "women and girls" in 2013 entirely from Lewis Dunk or is it something else?
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.

Last edited by Adlerhorst; 11-08-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:26 PM
One Henry Hughton

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Wages rose from 13.2 to 18.9 million.
Did I miss them getting promotion?

Twinned with MK Dons
Old 11-08-2014, 12:31 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
They pay 'rent' to Tony's holding company for the ground, which has just kicked in. 500K twice a year, from memory. that's a million pound rent, on a ground they claim they own. Even at 500k it's still a burden... Their wage bill was a chain around their neck - they had to offload and get in budget replacements. Sales will be mostly offset against this past years losses / accounts. So they wont see the wage bill come down just yet!

Feel good factor isn't enough, as a club their cycle has peaked. They are going to have to take a step back - lower half finish / relegation battle before they can go upwards again. They are taking a breather, and will have to regroup and try and challenge in a season or two's time.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I get the feeling that they're currently restricting with finances in mind. They will be lowering both salary and admin costs to fit in line with FFP. They are consolidating as a Championship side rather than gambling on being Premier Ready.

This makes sense now that they have the infrastructure to develop their own players but is a long term plan. This could take another 5-10 years? Will the recent converts to Brighton have the patience to wait and see how the club might develop based on a financially sound footing or will they be attracted by some other shiny new toy now that the gleem of the Amex is wearing thin.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:18 PM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjas Headband View Post
I get the feeling that they're currently restricting with finances in mind. They will be lowering both salary and admin costs to fit in line with FFP. They are consolidating as a Championship side rather than gambling on being Premier Ready.

This makes sense now that they have the infrastructure to develop their own players but is a long term plan. This could take another 5-10 years? Will the recent converts to Brighton have the patience to wait and see how the club might develop based on a financially sound footing or will they be attracted by some other shiny new toy now that the gleem of the Amex is wearing thin.
No chance, there is no ST waiting list anymore.

True Brighton fans that I know can see the bigger picture, they'll be rattling around in the Amex soon.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:24 PM

thereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is here
Does mr bloom cover these losses every year ? If not where does the debt go ?
Old 11-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Essentially, yes.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old git View Post
Wages rose from 13.2 to 18.9 million.
Did I miss them getting promotion?
that includes the players trading. They should have sold Ulloa before June 30th since I'm guessing he was quite a long way through his contract so would show a handsome accounting profit. That sale should help their YE15 nos since even if they bought someone for 10m on a 5 year contract its only a 2m cost pa
Old 11-08-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:

True Brighton fans that I know can see the bigger picture, they'll be rattling around in the Amex soon.
the one thing the itemised nos show is that their big crowds give them very little advantage - and in fact would benefit by not having the Amex. Big question is how variable the Admin & op costs are since these would seem to be almost fixed overheads. Only scope they would seem to have is to sell players that are near the end of their contracts since they would be almost fully amortised.

Another issue is that they haven't added any depreciation of the stadium yet ! The notes to the accounts say they may do that for 2014.

Another interesting point is that they have a nice fat deferred tax asset but this isn't brought into account since the Directors don't expect to utilise the tax losses in 'the foreseeable future' ie they don't expect to make profits for some years

also.....just imagine if they had to factor is a min of 10m pa interest cost which they would have to if the FPP rules had been set up properly. They are benefiting from a loop hole in the rules
Old 11-08-2014, 03:06 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Quote:

Didn't they get 27k at the opening game this season. I think there support is holding up reasonably well all things considered.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:10 PM

I refuse to be wooshed and will not post the picture of the empty seats.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
Didn't they get 27k at the opening game this season. I think there support is holding up reasonably well all things considered.
Weds bought almost 3K. I think I read somewhere they were 7% down on STs so I think they have just over 21K STs which get counted everytime. Add in 3K on the day jobs and 3K weds and you are there. Its fair to say that they have just about maxed out on ticket income ie c9m pa
Old 11-08-2014, 03:51 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle mart View Post
They pay 'rent' to Tony's holding company for the ground, which has just kicked in. 500K twice a year, from memory. that's a million pound rent, on a ground they claim they own. Even at 500k it's still a burden... Their wage bill was a chain around their neck - they had to offload and get in budget replacements. Sales will be mostly offset against this past years losses / accounts. So they wont see the wage bill come down just yet!

Feel good factor isn't enough, as a club their cycle has peaked. They are going to have to take a step back - lower half finish / relegation battle before they can go upwards again. They are taking a breather, and will have to regroup and try and challenge in a season or two's time.
I would tend to agree. For every Swansea and Hull who have made it from the lower levels there is a PNE, Bristol City and Huddersfield who came close but couldn't do it and have now got back to where they more or less were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 11-08-2014, 03:56 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
The first thing I thought when I saw the FLS was that their stadium looked half full. Its the old trick of counting all the STs as attendees. Dare say we've done it ourselves before but there do seem to be a lot of people down there who seem to buy a ST but support another team. I overheard myself 2 gooners on the train who were going to the charity shield. They had Brighton STs but hardly ever went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 11-08-2014, 04:00 PM

friends of mine reckon 24k max v SW on Saturday
Old 11-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Dog Rough

SJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is here
Quote:
friends of mine reckon 24k max v SW on Saturday
A guy I know said not even 23k

THE FIST BUMPERS