Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

View Poll Results: Ed Sheeran - what's the point?
He's an Amazing Auburn Artist 37 31.62%
He's a Generally Gash Ginger 80 68.38%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Got 99 problems...

IpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Ed Sheeran - is there a point?

I heard Ed Sheeran a few years ago, performing around the local area and to be honest i thought he was average, but had a few catchy and quirky things about him. Personal taste and all that.

So i bought his first album and once again, thought - average.

In the past year or two though, it appears the industry has indeed been trying to polish him up like the proverbial turd, but with what appears to be mythbusting success. He has immersed himself in the world of pop. He has done a song with Talyor bloody Swift. I'm not sure you can get more pop in fact.

Now i don't really know what to think of this. Has he instigated this himself? Seen the $$$ to be made by 'selling out'. Did he switch to a pop agent? Was he really ever 'edgy', 'underground' or 'independent' (in the indie sense) at all? Sure, he is ginger which earns him instant dark-horse status. And he holds a small guitar. And he has been known to rap... while holding a small guitar at the same time! But take his appearance and those bits away and is he any different to Harry Styles? Or Justin Timberlake?

Gallagher snr had a pop at him the other day. Kind of summed it up i guess, , however he's not exactly Mr 100% Rock rebel these days after making the album Be Here Now. He also clearly isn't down with the kids in his 40s. Does he have a point though? Is Sheeran f****** s***? Or is he a genuine bright english talent, worthy of admiration?

So what do you make of Sheeran? Amazing Auburn Artist or Generally Gash Ginger?

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill
Old 16-01-2015, 03:22 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
My wife and kids love him. i find him shit. plus he likes spotify's royalties model which makes me think he is a bit odious too now he has made it.

SaulAlinsky
Old 16-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
My music taste is infamously crap. I like his stuff, so if you think he's rubbish you're probably right.
Old 16-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Lost in translation

BBK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It's funny that an EP which was a collab with multiple Grime artists made him mainstream and got him signed and now he makes kids music.
Old 16-01-2015, 03:47 PM

Son of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Ah I see, he's another one who because he has mass appeal is all of a sudden a little shit to the music afficienados
Old 16-01-2015, 03:58 PM

Tomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I’m a self-confessed music snob. However, I won’t deny my love for pop music (in particular Taylor Swift) and won’t begrudge a decent pop act but he doesn’t offer anything to me.
I didn’t mind Ed Sheeran when he came out and found him inoffensive and I won’t begrudge the fact that he worked very hard to start with to get where he is. However he’s now in a position where he’ll be paid a lot of money to write catchy songs aimed at a certain demographic, which he seemingly does well.
However, now the songs are very mediocre. He may well have written them himself but they all sound like poor versions of other peoples songs. They’re overplayed, and sitting next to the Kiss 100 team mean I hear a lot more of him than I’d like too, but that’s not his fault so fair play to him.

He doesn’t seem that dislikeable as a person but his music his so average now it hurts.
Old 16-01-2015, 03:59 PM

jason7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejason7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejason7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejason7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejason7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejason7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejason7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejason7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejason7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejason7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejason7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Cant wait to see him at Wembley in July,daughters present so she has to go with adult.i got the short straw.
Old 16-01-2015, 04:01 PM
100% behind SP

tasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is here
Yes, there is a very valid point to ES. Deals handsomely with insomnia, with tracks to spare.

It's not a case of, "ooooh, now he's big he's a bit shit." He's always been a bit shit, which is why he's big. IMO.
Old 16-01-2015, 04:02 PM

hilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
"And if your dvd ever breaks today
You shoulda got a vcr because I've never own a blue ray, true say"

Wow. Just, wow.
Old 16-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Shefki Kuqi fan

ChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason7 View Post
Cant wait to see him at Wembley in July,daughters present so she has to go with adult.i got the short straw.
I'm also seeing him in July. Can't wait!

Because they're chocolate biscuits.
Old 16-01-2015, 04:06 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Bores me to tears.

Doubt his music is aimed at me though, to be fair.
Old 16-01-2015, 04:10 PM
43% Burnt

PauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is here
He's beige. He's vanilla. He's offensively inoffensive.

He's the musical equivalent of walking towards someone and you both moving in the same direction to avoid each other.
Old 16-01-2015, 04:11 PM

Tomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooders View Post
Bores me to tears.

Doubt his music is aimed at me though, to be fair.
This, summarised a lot better than me after 5 beers.

he is what he is but I won't be offended by him. There are far worse artists out there for my ire to be aimed at.
Old 16-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Filed under: Don't give a ****.
Old 16-01-2015, 04:16 PM
My Name Isn't Jono

Jono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I liked him when he was doing his grime stuff, he's moved away from that a lot now which is a bit of a shame but he's OK.
Old 16-01-2015, 04:17 PM
ValetingMan - (Unretired)

deanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Ed is a good friend of mine so I cant really get involved with out sounding biased.

He has worked very hard to get where he is today. The money hasnt changed him and never will.

Little fact for you, my names in the first album thank you list.

I was the idea behind Nandos Skank with Example & Ed.

He writes all his own stuff and if your on his back beacuse of Noel Gallager then shame on you.

Quote "CPFCBBS" and get 10% off any booking!
Old 16-01-2015, 04:17 PM

hilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
He might be awful and everything but this picture is brilliant...

Old 16-01-2015, 04:19 PM

Windsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is here
As with any singer / artist, you take them for what they are. In fairness to him he kind of brought that sing/rap over an acoustic guitar genre to the masses which loads of people have tried to copy since.

A half decent voice, can play the guitar a bit, writes songs that radio stations like to play and that teenagers / tweenagers will enjoy and so he's propelled into the mainstream.

Personally I think a couple of his album tracks have been alright and preferred them to the stuff that has charted but can agree that personally, as a whole package, he is a bit vanilla. In an age of some ******* awful mainstream music though, that isn't necessarily an insult.

Last edited by Windsor_Eagle; 16-01-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 16-01-2015, 04:19 PM
ValetingMan - (Unretired)

deanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeanchilds : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
It's funny that an EP which was a collab with multiple Grime artists made him mainstream and got him signed and now he makes kids music.
"Kids music" is what he has always made. The Colab EP knocked Rihanna off Itunes No1 Album so then all the labels who turned him down before wanted to sign him. He told them to get lost.

Whos laughing now?

Quote "CPFCBBS" and get 10% off any booking!
Old 16-01-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanchilds View Post
"Kids music" is what he has always made. The Colab EP knocked Rihanna off Itunes No1 Album so then all the labels who turned him down before wanted to sign him. He told them to get lost.

Whos laughing now?
Deanchilds Top 3 Mates:
1) Ed Sheeran
2) Clinton Morrison
3) Lily Allen