Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 21-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Sums it up nicely. I'll take that analogy.

The One More Pint section was tricky in a way. It was generally the only part that people would moan about when buying a copy from me

'Hope there's not too much drinking stuff in there this time mate'
'No, no. I've cut it back this time, sir"

(Translated as - it's gone from 4 pages to 5 but I'm hoping you're not keeping count)

On the flip side every single year it won 'Article of the Year' and was also the most loved section when talking to fans in general, hence the Men Behaving Badly comparison is pretty accurate.
The one more pint was the best part!

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Tenim un nom, el sap tothom
Barça, Barça, Barça

Last edited by King William; 21-07-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 21-07-2015, 07:21 PM

Eastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Hi Cris, this is a bit of a fanzine love-in!

Like the idea of what you're doing and good luck to you.

Yes I did the infamous Highbury tape and the "It had to happen-76 cup run.

Other merchandise included t-shirts, sweat shirts and ski hats (I still have a couple of the latter) but as for the dissenter of "We all follow the Palace" ( I had a chest infection at the time!), we sold 1000 cassettes and then got a £1500 advance to go onto the "Glad All Over CD, which we ploughed back into funding games/petrol etc, earlier this year, 20 years on from the record I still get royalties!

Some of the Palace Echo guys may recall our public spat over the record!!

It also got banned from the Club shop over an article about the cheerleaders following protests from parents!
Old 21-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Hi Trev

Was going to contact you. I had no idea you sold 1000 cassettes (people under 20 years reading this are asking "what's a cassette?" )

I remember one time in Eastern Eagles when you'd sold 85 and I was quite impressed even at that number, given when you did it I'm guessing you had very little idea how it would be received.

Do you remember the 'controversy' when Croydon Advertiser designated Eastern Eagles the 'official' Palace fanzine?

That made me laugh - who even made that decision?

And I think you'll agree, the word 'official' was completely against what fanzines were about. Club programmes were the 'official' stuff - fanzines were for everything else!

Great to hear from you mate. If you fancy dusting off your word processor and putting an article together on Word Perfect for me that'd be great!
The One More Point book is underway....and only 12 years late. This will be a book about not just One More Point but a look at all fanzines and their impact. It will look at what it was like being a Palace fan and football fan back in the 80s/90s. If you have comments, memories or just to remind me some (most likely drunken) incident back in the day then please PM me. And if you can think of a decent title then please step right up!
Old 21-07-2015, 07:49 PM

Grim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Boy View Post
then got a £1500 advance to go onto the "Glad All Over CD, which we ploughed back into funding games/petrol etc, earlier this year, 20 years on from the record I still get royalties!

Some of the Palace Echo guys may recall our public spat over the record!!
Seriously would like to know the full story of this one. Are you able to live on the royalties like Noddy Holder does with 'Here it is Merry Christmas'?
The One More Point book is underway....and only 12 years late. This will be a book about not just One More Point but a look at all fanzines and their impact. It will look at what it was like being a Palace fan and football fan back in the 80s/90s. If you have comments, memories or just to remind me some (most likely drunken) incident back in the day then please PM me. And if you can think of a decent title then please step right up!
Old 21-07-2015, 09:00 PM
I edit holmesdale.net

Penge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
It was Eagle Eye, One More Point and Eastern Eagles that inspired me to create an online fanzine back 1999 when the internet started to kick off - The Holmesdale Online. I provided the content and Guntrisoft did the technical side and the HOL was born! I really look forward to the OMP book Cris. And I too bought that Eastern Eagles cassette tape - it was brilliant!
Old 21-07-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penge Eagle View Post
It was Eagle Eye, One More Point and Eastern Eagles that inspired me to create an online fanzine back 1999 when the internet started to kick off - The Holmesdale Online. I provided the content and Guntrisoft did the technical side and the HOL was born! I really look forward to the OMP book Cris. And I too bought that Eastern Eagles cassette tape - it was brilliant!
Ha - you can do the book (e-book? audio book?) that covers football in the digital age. This one's about paper, glue, typewriters and scissors! And Palace of course.

Starting in 1999, I'm guessing you were among the early football websites. Which came first - BBS or HOL?
Old 21-07-2015, 11:05 PM

colonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I loved Eagle Eye. My favourite was the one produced after Villa Park in 1990 but another memory was taking 3 hours to come back from 'popping down the road' to Addiscombe to buy the latest edition. I'd only just passed my driving test and when the newsagent in Addiscombe didn't have one I thought I'd drive to a paper shop in Selhurst where I knew there would be one. Got one and headed home, happy as Larry, only to get stuck in one of those side roads down the back of the Arthur/Holmesdale on the way to Selhurst station (Winter Road?) 3 hours later and the road is still gridlocked. This is in the days before mobile phones and I couldn't leave the car to find a phone box to call home. Anyway I eventually get home and the parents had called the police and reported me missing.
Think EE used to sell in the big bookshop up the top in the Whitgift Centre too.
Recently moved house and argued again with the wife about why I needed to keep my old copies.
Life was great then - the excitement of ANY Palace making the news. Now it's transfer rumours on Sky Sports wall to wall.
Good luck with the book GR
Old 22-07-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
Life was great then - the excitement of ANY Palace making the news. GR
And that was it. It really was a big deal. I remember the first time I heard Geoff Thomas on Capital Radio (Capital Gold started later that year and that really pushed things along.) It was a 10 second soundbite as part of a sports round up but suddenly my main man had a voice.
Old 22-07-2015, 12:18 PM
*Contents: Hydrogen, Time

Random* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
paper, glue, typewriters and scissors! And Palace of course.
Reads like a title to me.
Old 22-07-2015, 12:27 PM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
Don't forget the Letraset!
Old 22-07-2015, 12:52 PM

cranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
The Samsunspor trip issue was the most epic. If I ever have to chuck out Palace stuff for more space (please no!) then that issue is the one I'll always keep hold of. Real laugh out loud stuff, but all the more poignant because I sort of witnessed half of it (Turkish police towing your hire car LOL - funny now looking back)

Strangely I used to contribute loads of stuff for the Eastern Eagles fanzine, despite knowing it was the poor relation of EE/OMP. I guess I knew they used to print almost anything!

Have a distant memory of it all kicking off after some letters were published regarding a couple of the 'Back Row Boys' (LOL) being kicked out by stewards at WBA or somewhere similar. It was a small world back then but a right laugh.

Just hope the book turns out how you want it to Cris, don't just churn out a certain number of pages just because you feel you have to hit a certain quota, and don't be afraid to edit and rewrite stuff.

My abiding memory.
Crystal Palace, 90 years to get into Europe, 90 minutes to get out again
Old 22-07-2015, 04:45 PM

Eastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Hi cris; reckon I can dust off the keyboard and put something to paper for you, perhaps on the subjects mentioned. I recall someone mentioning what the advertiser said about the eastern eagles but not living in the area I never got to see the comments and it certainly never came from us!

Not sure why they would have said that as we were certainly independent of the club and made some harsh judgments. Might have been because we sold in the club shop and I often wrote to the club to secure interviews e.g. Coppell when manager and of course Ron noades..

Re the young cheerleaders at the time I believe the offending comment was "are they brought onto the pitch to make the players look good! ".

Eagle eye was without doubt the best and were very helpful to me in getting the eastern eagles fanzine off the ground re advice etc
Old 22-07-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjas Headband View Post
Don't forget the Letraset!
Ha ha. Been trying to remember the name of the 'transfers' that gave me the font for the price on the front cover for the first two years. Great timing on your part!!
Old 22-07-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Boy View Post

Eagle eye was without doubt the best and were very helpful to me in getting the eastern eagles fanzine off the ground re advice etc

I was actually scared to approach those guys even though I wanted to - didn't want them to tell me to do one!

First time I spoke to John Ellis selling Issue 1 and he was nice as pie. Turns out they would have been supportive after all!
Old 22-07-2015, 07:34 PM

Did anyone ever see or buy Sick Over a Parrot ??? General south London fanzine IIRC
Old 22-07-2015, 07:59 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Did anyone ever see or buy Sick Over a Parrot ??? General south London fanzine IIRC
Was that around in the early 1990s?

If so, the British Library, my old place of work, has copies. Published out of an address in Catford.
Old 22-07-2015, 08:23 PM

HRS : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHRS : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHRS : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHRS : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHRS : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHRS : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHRS : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHRS : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHRS : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHRS : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHRS : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The OMP issue that I always remember was the one that came out around the time the shit hot the fan with Mark Goldberg. I could be wrong but pretty sure I bought it at Watford away. The issue was a lot more serious than usual and at a time when social media was non existent and online football message boards where very much in their infancy i think it helped to put across to people how much trouble we were in.

Like some others have said I started reading during my school days and it just doesn't seem possible that it was so long ago or how much the club and the game have changed.
Old 22-07-2015, 08:30 PM

ANDY FROM BR1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineANDY FROM BR1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineANDY FROM BR1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineANDY FROM BR1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineANDY FROM BR1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineANDY FROM BR1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineANDY FROM BR1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineANDY FROM BR1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineANDY FROM BR1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineANDY FROM BR1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineANDY FROM BR1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post

If so, the British Library, my old place of work, has copies. Published out of an address in Catford.
That would be it. It was knocked out by the same guys that wrote Millwall fanzine The Lion Roars.

From memory it was more an attempt at a football comic. Like Viz, but not!!
Old 22-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
!
Quote:
I did a couple of cartoons for it during it's first couple of issues. Thought it was pretty poor, run by a Millwall fan who thought an alternative football comic would a bit of an earner. Back in those day's there were a lot of Viz rip offs.
Old 22-07-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post

I bought Issue 3 in 1989, ahead of the QPR game. Was the only time I saw it. But Catford sounds right. I got to know those guys years after they'd finished it and a couple of them were from Catford. Annoyingly I've texted one of the writers tonight but he barely remembers doing it or how many issues there were.

Anyone remember buying an Issue 4, 5 or 6?