Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 22-07-2015, 09:15 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranesparkeagle View Post
My abiding memory.
Crystal Palace, 90 years to get into Europe, 90 minutes to get out again
Issue 26 - my favourite cover

Pleased you picked that cover out
The One More Point book is underway....and only 12 years late. This will be a book about not just One More Point but a look at all fanzines and their impact. It will look at what it was like being a Palace fan and football fan back in the 80s/90s. If you have comments, memories or just to remind me some (most likely drunken) incident back in the day then please PM me. And if you can think of a decent title then please step right up!
Old 22-07-2015, 09:16 PM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjas Headband View Post
!

I did a couple of cartoons for it during it's first couple of issues. Thought it was pretty poor, run by a Millwall fan who thought an alternative football comic would a bit of an earner. Back in those day's there were a lot of Viz rip offs.
I recall a character called Beryl Lovett? Did you draw her?

And who was Winston Kadogo? His Subbeto childhood was funny
The One More Point book is underway....and only 12 years late. This will be a book about not just One More Point but a look at all fanzines and their impact. It will look at what it was like being a Palace fan and football fan back in the 80s/90s. If you have comments, memories or just to remind me some (most likely drunken) incident back in the day then please PM me. And if you can think of a decent title then please step right up!
Old 22-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
I honestly can't remember what cartoons I drew for them or even if they were published. Until you mentioned 'Sick over a Parrot', I'd completely forgotten about the publication. Think it was because it didn't feel like a fanzine to me. 'Zines were for putting into print the things that weren't being said by the mainstream media and what you loved and wanted to share with others who had the same passion.

In the mid Eighties football fans were ridiculed by the press and society in general and had no means of responding. I was 16 at the time and people would question why I would want to go to a game and my motives as if you were some kind of hooligan. We all knew that there were massive issues within the game about policing and safe stadia but no one was talking about them, not least the media with the only TV show about football being Saint & Greavsie which would make Talksport seem high brow by comparison today.

The humour of that programme was pathetic and didn't reflect the great humour and insight on the terrace. At the time I was aware of punk and music 'zines and so was blown away when a Palace fanzine in the form of Eagle Eye came along in '87 and wanted to get involved. The best thing about it was meeting up in a West End pub to stick it all together and fill in the gaps with crap jokes or other bollox made up after a few beers which for me was the essence of a football fanzine, sharing your views and a laugh with your mates as well as the creative process to share with other like minded people.

Making money was never a consideration with any money made ploughed back into funding the gallon displays of the day or other supporter activities.

Last edited by Ninjas Headband; 22-07-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 22-07-2015, 10:50 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
Good to see you about Cris. You called me Mark for years, when my name was actually Mart.

Spud used to make me laugh, got so drunk at one away game he slept all through it and you all drew over his face. You selling champions t-shirts at Ayresome Park before we were actually champions - among others. McHardy climbing the lamppost at the Duke of York before the Play-off final. Good times.

Hope you haven't picked up an accent. up there.
Old 23-07-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle mart View Post
Spud used to make me laugh, got so drunk at one away game he slept all through it and you all drew over his face. .
It was more than once I'm saving these stories for the book.
Old 23-07-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle mart View Post
Good to see you about Cris. You called me Mark for years, when my name was actually Mart.
Me: Why did he call you Mart?
You: Because that's my name
Me: No it's not!

Not my finest moment....and I was sober!
Old 24-07-2015, 08:46 AM
I edit holmesdale.net

Penge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenge Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Is there YouTube footage of the documentary feature on Eagle Eye?
Old 24-07-2015, 11:18 AM

I spent a while looking for it on Sunday but no joy. Only one of those Club Shows seems to the Wimbledon one.

I probably have it on VHS somewhere but Lord knows which of the 30-40 tapes I still have that it's on.

One of these days I'll get round to watching us win at Tranmere to go top of the league for Christmas 93. Bit random but is one of my favourite ever trips. Just got to find the bleeding right cassette.
Old 27-07-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestperch View Post
One thing though mate, can't believe you ever did an away game for 30 quid. Remember the size of those beer towers !
£30 was for a typical 1994 trip (lots of Midlands teams that year)

£7 match ticket
£14 train (good old specials from Euston)
5 beers at £1.50 each on average
£1.50 - a pie would count as two meals i.e. late breakfast and dinner!

And Palace won the division. What more could you ask for!

Beer towers kicked in a few years later and yes, the £30 went out the window once that era started.
Old 28-07-2015, 08:19 PM

Do football specials (trains and the cheap tickets available to ride on them) still exist?

I'm just in the process of writing about these in the past tense and it occurred to me they may still exist
Old 22-08-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Do football specials (trains and the cheap tickets available to ride on them) still exist?

I'm just in the process of writing about these in the past tense and it occurred to me they may still exist
Anyone??
Old 22-08-2015, 11:27 PM

Straw poll - did you buy.....

fanzine AND a programme most of the time?
fanzine only?
programme only?
both occasionally depending on money in your pocket/mood you were in?
Old 23-08-2015, 06:34 AM
Not again Wayne

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Straw poll - did you buy.....

fanzine AND a programme most of the time?
fanzine only?
programme only?
both occasionally depending on money in your pocket/mood you were in?
when I was you younger (early 90's) Programme & Fanzine, now I'd only occasionally buy a fanzine.

davemorris04 doesn't take getting things wrong very well. A feeble excuse of a Palace fan ...chin up
Old 23-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Always used to buy both all the time. Now I'm older just a programme. I'd buy Eagle Eye/Palace Echo every issue if it was still going as they were head and shoulders above anything else.

Of the current fanzines I find FYP tries too hard (ie bit too serious much of the time), Flying High is more humerous (it has Brolins Hoover for example), but in the main fanzines are more in tune with the younger generation anyway
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 23-08-2015, 09:43 AM
GarethTaylorGiraffe

GrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Glue, scissors, paper and letraset bring back memories of smudged fingers when helping out (as PS) with the cartoons for EE and PE and creating the little known Gareth Taylor Giraffe fanzine with its occassional limited print run of 5 copies
Old 23-08-2015, 01:43 PM
South London VfB

Neil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Loved GTG. Is it still going, mate?

'Bono ain't the new messiah
Michael Jackson is a liar'
Old 23-08-2015, 02:27 PM
GarethTaylorGiraffe

GrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGrthTylrGiraffe : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil the Eagle View Post
Loved GTG. Is it still going, mate?
Thanks Neil. I've been nagged by other members of the readership (well three of them) for another issue so maybe this Xmas (but I probably told them that last year...)
Old 24-08-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrthTylrGiraffe View Post
the little known Gareth Taylor Giraffe fanzine with its occassional limited print run of 5 copies
What? Who? Why Where? When?

Love it - still learning about new fanzines after all these years. Please tell me more. I had no clue of this one.

Something even more obscure than Suffer Little Children ( in Neil's direction!)
Old 24-08-2015, 08:38 AM
South London VfB

Neil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
24 Minutes from Tulse Hill was probably the most obscure, lasted 4 issues in Autumn 2009.

Conceived after a drunken night out in the German bar in Vauxhall. Written, printed and distributed entirely on a matchday morning. Copies are still available online somewhere.

'Bono ain't the new messiah
Michael Jackson is a liar'
Old 24-08-2015, 09:46 PM
GarethTaylorGiraffe

Quote:
What? Who? Why Where? When?

Love it - still learning about new fanzines after all these years. Please tell me more. I had no clue of this one.

Something even more obscure than Suffer Little Children ( in Neil's direction!)
After Palace Echo finished in the summer of 2007 my girlfriend - and fellow Palace fan - said I should start my own fanzine. When asked what it should be called she suggested Gareth Taylor Giraffe (her favourite player - really - along with his resemblance to a giraffe). So as I surprise I produced (paper, scissors, glue and letraset - old school!) a one off edition as a Xmas present in 2007 (rest assured I did buy her some other gifts) with a limited print (photocopier) run of seven copies. What was a one-off became an occasional thing (with summer and Xmas issues) up until the last issue in Xmas 2010 (I couldn't believe it was that long ago until I just dug them out). Been rather busy at work since then (!) but maybe an issue on its eighth anniversary is due!