Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 24-08-2015, 10:56 PM

The Pork Bolter dances before me like a million eyesThe Pork Bolter dances before me like a million eyesThe Pork Bolter dances before me like a million eyesThe Pork Bolter dances before me like a million eyesThe Pork Bolter dances before me like a million eyesThe Pork Bolter dances before me like a million eyesThe Pork Bolter dances before me like a million eyesThe Pork Bolter dances before me like a million eyesThe Pork Bolter dances before me like a million eyesThe Pork Bolter dances before me like a million eyesThe Pork Bolter dances before me like a million eyes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Anyone??
I read somewhere a few weeks ago that Virgin Trains East Coast were setting something up for Newcastle and Sunderland supporters where they gave group discounts and the validity of the tickets could be changed if the game was switched to Sky/BT. It wasn't particulary a football special train as such but the offers were for those ging to football.As theres loads of games in London I guess that is the market they are seeking.
Old 25-08-2015, 07:08 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
I'm sure about 20/25 years ago I used to get a fanzine called Football Utopia. A bit like South London Press but a fanzine it covered all south London teams, even Dulwich Hamlet and Croydon.

And at one Palace game something with rude pictures of Dickie Davies in it, but it may have been an away fanzine (possibly Lincoln's Deranged Ferret?)

In those days you used to just buy any effort going if you came across it, as there was a mix of a genuine attempt at humour and informative stuff written of course by fans. King of the Kippax was always very good, along the same lines as EE.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 25-08-2015, 07:16 AM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yes, I've got a utopia one somewhere.

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Tenim un nom, el sap tothom
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 25-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrthTylrGiraffe View Post
After Palace Echo finished in the summer of 2007 my girlfriend - and fellow Palace fan - said I should start my own fanzine. When asked what it should be called she suggested Gareth Taylor Giraffe (her favourite player - really - along with his resemblance to a giraffe). So as I surprise I produced (paper, scissors, glue and letraset - old school!) a one off edition as a Xmas present in 2007 (rest assured I did buy her some other gifts) with a limited print (photocopier) run of seven copies. What was a one-off became an occasional thing (with summer and Xmas issues) up until the last issue in Xmas 2010 (I couldn't believe it was that long ago until I just dug them out). Been rather busy at work since then (!) but maybe an issue on its eighth anniversary is due!
My God. Great stuff. So it seems Palace are at least into double figures for fanzines. I'm thinking we're up to at least 12-ish

Seems my plans to end the book in 2003 will leave the story very much incomplete.
The One More Point book is underway....and only 12 years late. This will be a book about not just One More Point but a look at all fanzines and their impact. It will look at what it was like being a Palace fan and football fan back in the 80s/90s. If you have comments, memories or just to remind me some (most likely drunken) incident back in the day then please PM me. And if you can think of a decent title then please step right up!
Old 25-08-2015, 09:46 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
King of the Kippax was always very good, along the same lines as EE.
KK was the most wordy fanzine ever. I had a swap agreement with one of the writers. You felt like you'd completed a major task just getting through it cover to cover.

Herculean effort to produce that much content every month.

Also amazed me just how many localised supporters groups City had - the only Palace one I ever knew of back then was Eastern Eagles and the Norwegian group. Were there others?
The One More Point book is underway....and only 12 years late. This will be a book about not just One More Point but a look at all fanzines and their impact. It will look at what it was like being a Palace fan and football fan back in the 80s/90s. If you have comments, memories or just to remind me some (most likely drunken) incident back in the day then please PM me. And if you can think of a decent title then please step right up!
Old 25-08-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil the Eagle View Post
24 Minutes from Tulse Hill was probably the most obscure, lasted 4 issues in Autumn 2009.

Conceived after a drunken night out in the German bar in Vauxhall. Written, printed and distributed entirely on a matchday morning. Copies are still available online somewhere.
Brilliant. Sometimes you think of a name and just have to do the fanzine to not let the name go to waste.

Much like my own Eagle Aye, a Palace fanzine based on the north, which lasted all of one issue (plus as a section in an early FYP) in Feb 2004. Just had the name and had to write a fanzine. Anyone still got one of those - only 150 copies ever made
Old 25-08-2015, 10:00 AM

CK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil the Eagle View Post
24 Minutes from Tulse Hill was probably the most obscure, lasted 4 issues in Autumn 2009.

Conceived after a drunken night out in the German bar in Vauxhall. Written, printed and distributed entirely on a matchday morning. Copies are still available online somewhere.
I remember some anonymous bloke distributing it that day
Old 25-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

Also amazed me just how many localised supporters groups City had - the only Palace one I ever knew of back then was Eastern Eagles and the Norwegian group. Were there others?
In terms of 'active support' groups then I guess Ronn Gadd has been rounding up as many West Country fans as possible for years.

Eagle Ali did have a group of Essex Eagles that did minibuses to away games. There's now a handful in Scotland and groups in Australia who meet whenever Palace are on tv to watch it together in a pub somewhere near them

Not 'regional' but there have always been supporters groups that have done trips 'as a group' - PIST club, Danny's various pubs over the years, even a group of us that had its roots back in the late 80s original 'Family enclosure'.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 27-08-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
I'm sure about 20/25 years ago I used to get a fanzine called Football Utopia. A bit like South London Press but a fanzine it covered all south London teams, even Dulwich Hamlet and Croydon.
Think I bought it once - had Tom Watt (Lofty from Eastenders) pictured in every London club shirt and pulling a face depending on how much he liked/hated each team. For Spurs he had a paper bag on his head. As for Palace think he was so-so.

THis has also reminded me of one covering south east London (Palace/Charlton/Millwall) and even inc the likes of Welling Utd. Anyone remember the title of this one.
Old 28-08-2015, 09:18 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
KK was the most wordy fanzine ever. I had a swap agreement with one of the writers. You felt like you'd completed a major task just getting through it cover to cover.

Herculean effort to produce that much content every month.

Morning Chris , do you remember the excellent WBA Grorty Dick fanzine? (named after a 200 yo cassarole dish iircc). In there they were always advertising hordes of regional baggies branches who had monthly meetings at pubs or halls & always had an ex player at said meetings. Was bit jealous we didn't have similar thing in Kent , Surrey , Sussex & further afield .
Old 30-08-2015, 10:33 PM

Grorty Dick - another great fanzine and one I bought regularly at Sportspages back in the 90s.

The ability to get ex-players to attend was always pretty impressive.

To be fair, you Orpington Pissheads attempted to get your group pretty organised. Didn't you vote Nigel Martyn player of the year and then go round his house to present him with a trophy....or am I imaginging that!?
Old 31-08-2015, 03:31 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Grorty Dick - another great fanzine and one I bought regularly at Sportspages back in the 90s.

The ability to get ex-players to attend was always pretty impressive.

To be fair, you Orpington Pissheads attempted to get your group pretty organised. Didn't you vote Nigel Martyn player of the year and then go round his house to present him with a trophy....or am I imaginging that!?
Yes as it was Chris Armstrong
He wasn't in
But he came down the Pub for a Charity night for our keeper who broke his leg & what a top bloke was only meant to be there for bout an hour but ended up getting a cab home another proper Orp pisshead.
Old 31-08-2015, 03:32 AM

As for name of your book what about FFS Palace .
Old 31-08-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
As for name of your book what about FFS Palace .
It's now on the list of 'potentials'
Old 31-08-2015, 03:58 PM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Never read it but I always liked the sound of "Dial M for Merthyr"
Old 01-09-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
It's now on the list of 'potentials'
Cheers buddy.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 View Post
Never read it but I always liked the sound of "Dial M for Merthyr"
Clever name that.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
Clever name that.
24 years on and I've just got the joke of that name!!!
Old 12-09-2015, 09:09 AM

One More Point's birthday today.

On that occasion it rained all day, Palace won to rise up the table and went on to win the league.

Well, as I look out my window it's been raining all day, so that's one out of three.....
Old 12-09-2015, 05:11 PM

voyeur : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevoyeur : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevoyeur : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevoyeur : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevoyeur : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevoyeur : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevoyeur : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevoyeur : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevoyeur : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevoyeur : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevoyeur : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Happy Birthday OMP "still only £1"

Had good, if occasional, times drinking with your gang in the Cherries back in the day. Even wrote an article under name Emerald Eagle. Had to be done really.