Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 17-08-2015, 07:39 AM

Jon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
He single handedly cost us two goals yesterday and we lost the game, and another mistake that was rectified by the GK. It's no suprise people are questioning him because of this. There's no reason Mariappa can't come in and we can see how he does, dropping Ward doesn't mean the end of his Palace career FFS, he might have just got too comfortbale starting every game and need to be put on his toes with some competition.
Old 17-08-2015, 08:12 AM

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Last season it was Souare, lasts week it was McCarthy, now Ward. I agree he didn't have the best game and has been in poor form but I'm sure he will regain his best.
Old 17-08-2015, 08:26 AM

thomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
People always like to blame someone. Yes he had a poor game, but he got us back in it with his goal. Mahbe wickham should of scored, was it a poor finish? Bolasie was poor, why is no one slating him? Delaney made a poor clearance - why is no one pulling that up? Puncheon didnt help ward in the slightest . Yes he had a poor game but blimey everyone does every so often. Getting singled out is a bit unfair
He plays for ivory coast
But he loves palace the most
We've got wilfried zaha
Old 17-08-2015, 08:35 AM

Bones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post
Last season it was Souare, lasts week it was McCarthy, now Ward. I agree he didn't have the best game and has been in poor form but I'm sure he will regain his best.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but that is a classic case of accepting mediocrity.
Tis the reason why clubs have squad depth, pressure for places.
Tbf he'd want to find some form pretty quick ie Villa game.

On his side though was almost zero help, which against his direct opponent was only ever going to pan out one way.

Thin ice I reckon.
Old 17-08-2015, 08:42 AM
Red Squirrel Ultras Rule

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomo12345 View Post
People always like to blame someone. Yes he had a poor game, but he got us back in it with his goal. Mahbe wickham should of scored, was it a poor finish? Bolasie was poor, why is no one slating him? Delaney made a poor clearance - why is no one pulling that up? Puncheon didnt help ward in the slightest . Yes he had a poor game but blimey everyone does every so often. Getting singled out is a bit unfair
Agreed thomo. One of the best things about both Pulis and Pardew is they give players a few chances, and accept that all players will make mistakes from time to time.

How many would have dropped McCarthy after his head seemed to go down after the soft norwich goal and his subsequently poor kicking? McCarthys performance yesterday will do wonders for his confidence and will have stopped people from a premature writing-off of our record goalkeeper signing.

Ward did have a bad day at the office on the whole and was unfortunate that Arsenal capitalized on his errors. Have never understood the logic of slating one of our own, surely getting behind him is the way to get him to get back to the level of performance we know he possesses. Pardew will hopefully make the right calls re: the timing of when to drop players and when to stick. Its certainly not an easy job to maintain a results business whilst keeping a very talented squad all content is it.
Old 17-08-2015, 08:46 AM

eastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
This is not an isolated bad performance by Ward. His form has badly dipped for a prolonged spell if you include large parts of last season. It's not slating him to point that out. I'd give anything for the Ward of two seasons ago and beyond to be back, and I've got every faith that he will return to that kind of form. But just carrying on as though everything is okay is not the right option either.
Old 17-08-2015, 08:49 AM

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones14 View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but that is a classic case of accepting mediocrity.
Tis the reason why clubs have squad depth, pressure for places.
Tbf he'd want to find some form pretty quick ie Villa game.

On his side though was almost zero help, which against his direct opponent was only ever going to pan out one way.

Thin ice I reckon.
Far from accepting mediocrity, I rate Ward as a quality fullback and have seen him have super human performances in the Premier League. I'm not saying he shouldn't be dropped if he is in bad form just every week there is a scapegoat if we lose. He may have a man of the match performance against Villa and people will forget and start criticising someone else. I've seen Puncheon have a poor game and then the next week he wins it for us.
Old 17-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Time For Heroes

CPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is here
I think a lot of comments on here are very harsh. The opening line 'hasn't been the same since promotion' a prime example.

It seems to me that a lot of people feel the need to go from one extreme to the other. A couple of years ago people were suggesting he should play for England, now he 'hasn't had a good game in two years?!' How about he's just a good right back, who has his faults and has served the club well? He never complains, seems a bloody nice bloke and has slotted in where asked while moving forward as the club has developed.

He has his flaws but I don't think we need to worry about Roy calling, or about Wardy being a weak link. A good player.
Old 17-08-2015, 08:53 AM

thomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minethomo12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Bolasie zaha and puncheon are 3 players that blow hot or cold. All drift in and out of games. Ward has 1 bad game (although he scored a cracker) and everyone is calling for him to be dropped....
He plays for ivory coast
We've got wilfried zaha
Old 17-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Red Squirrel Ultras Rule

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Far from accepting mediocrity, I rate Ward as a quality fullback and have seen him have super human performances in the Premier League. I'm not saying he shouldn't be dropped if he is in bad form just every week there is a scapegoat if we lose. He may have a man of the match performance against Villa and people will forget and start criticising someone else. I've seen Puncheon have a poor game and then the next week he wins it for us.
Happens all the time doesn't it. Players know when they have screwed up and make amends for the teammates the following week by having a stormer.

Thats not to say that Ward is undroppable, its a squad game after all, just that there is a time and a place for it, and good managers know when that is and how to do it.
Old 17-08-2015, 08:58 AM

Windsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is here
I think Ward's positioning has always been a bit suspect at this level (what mainly separated him and Clyne in terms of our best RB in the last decade or so) but he does have an engine on him and against lesser opponents than Sanchez, he is able to get back and recover pretty well. He actually did that remarkably well when still at 0-0 at one point (from his own **** up though!)
Old 17-08-2015, 08:59 AM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomo12345 View Post
Bolasie zaha and puncheon are 3 players that blow hot or cold. All drift in and out of games. Ward has 1 bad game (although he scored a cracker) and everyone is calling for him to be dropped....
I wouldn't drop him at this point but equally it's not been one bad game. He was worse up against young at home last season. His levels in the last year have been nowhere near what we had got used to from him. The other factor is with Kelly and Marriapa they are very real options. So he wouldn't have to play poorly too many more times before i would consider it.

Today he played against Sanchez so i could forgive some frailties showing up. Giving the ball away and being out jumped by him seem like stretching that a bit far though.
Old 17-08-2015, 08:59 AM

Bones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Agreed. Just don't want us to fall into the trap of playing players on reputation/past performances when they're out of form. Hence the depth/squad comment.
Agree everyone deserves an opportunity to gain momentum, but he was very average late last year and he's not had a great start to this one. I'm not calling for his head but he's surely under pressure to pick up his game.
Old 17-08-2015, 09:12 AM

IanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I would blame the team set up for a lot of Ward's problems yesterday - at times in the first half he was trying to cope with Sanchez, Ozil and their left back on his own with Bolasie standing on the half way line panting. That's nearly 100 million of talent to try to contain on your own - no chance.
Old 17-08-2015, 09:19 AM

Ward had no help and lets face it anyone will struggle against sanchez and ozil. Only 1 mistake he could of done better on and that was for their second goal
He plays for ivory coast
We've got wilfried zaha
Old 17-08-2015, 09:23 AM

camelglasses keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninecamelglasses keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninecamelglasses keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninecamelglasses keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninecamelglasses keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninecamelglasses keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninecamelglasses keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninecamelglasses keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninecamelglasses keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninecamelglasses keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninecamelglasses keeps it in mind, eight times out of nine
Please no Mariappa.
Old 17-08-2015, 09:25 AM

1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlee11 View Post
Bad game, nothing more go it. He's a really good player and no point in searching for any issues that aren't there !
Exactly. Some big over reactions here, lets not forget Joel Ward has won more tackles in the Premier League than anyone else over the last two seasons, would not bet against that continuing.
Old 17-08-2015, 09:39 AM

Son of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
We're in danger of getting ahead of ourselves here and demanding replacements for players who've done amazingly well for our club over the last 3 years. Let's show these players some of the same loyalty we instantly expect from them.

Yes, Ward had a bit of a mare defensively in the first half - but as people have said, up against the likes of Ozil, Sanchez, Cazorla you're going to expect a hard time. He made a bad error for the first goal, even though the finish by Giroud was pretty special (can't believe the commentators were blaming McCarthy for not getting down to it, even if that is a perceived weakness). The second, maybe he could have been stronger but Sanchez climbed all over him and had a hand on his shoulder preventing the jump.
Old 17-08-2015, 09:40 AM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin eagle View Post
Agreed thomo. One of the best things about both Pulis and Pardew is they give players a few chances, and accept that all players will make mistakes from time to time.

How many would have dropped McCarthy after his head seemed to go down after the soft norwich goal and his subsequently poor kicking? McCarthys performance yesterday will do wonders for his confidence and will have stopped people from a premature writing-off of our record goalkeeper signing.

Ward did have a bad day at the office on the whole and was unfortunate that Arsenal capitalized on his errors. Have never understood the logic of slating one of our own, surely getting behind him is the way to get him to get back to the level of performance we know he possesses. Pardew will hopefully make the right calls re: the timing of when to drop players and when to stick. Its certainly not an easy job to maintain a results business whilst keeping a very talented squad all content is it.
Sanchez and Monreal were targetting our right flank all day. Zaha and Bolasie switching flanks all the time is not a bad ploy, but it has it's costs.
Ward just didn't know where to position himself.
Old 17-08-2015, 09:44 AM

Sceagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSceagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSceagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSceagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSceagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSceagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSceagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSceagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSceagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSceagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSceagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Whilst Ward had little help from Bolasie, he was all over the shop. Granted he was up against one of the best players in the league too. Criminal defending for the 2nd goal and did poor with the first.

My main worry is that his poor form started last season and looks to have continued.