Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 04-02-2016, 05:56 PM

CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON
Fan Zhiyi & Sun Jihai

Now, I remember these two quite well. Sun didn't play much as we went down the path of admin and he went off to Manchester City where he stayed for a few years and played well.

Fan, on the otherhand, stayed with us and became a cult hero. A defender who put himself on the line, and he chipped in with goals too - even playing as a CF a few times.

Question I have, because I can't remember, is whether they played in the Premier League with us under Venables before we went down. I can't quite remember.

We are the ones who signed the first Chinese players, but were we the first to play them in the Premier League, or is it right what I have read that Sun played in the Prem first with Manchester City?
Old 04-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Adult Member

David of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
TV wasn't our manager when we were in the Premier League so that bit wouldn't be correct
The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:05 PM

Naboo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNaboo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNaboo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNaboo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNaboo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNaboo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNaboo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNaboo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNaboo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNaboo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNaboo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Neither of them played in the premier league for us and venables wasn't our manager in the premier league
Old 04-02-2016, 06:17 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010ANDON View Post
We are the ones who signed the first Chinese players...
Maybe the first to sign players from Chinese clubs but not the first ethnic Chinese to play in England. I can remember Sammy Chung managing Wolves in the 70's and he played League football beforehand. There's been a few others if you Google it.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:17 PM

CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON
I didn't think so either. I recall us being relegated. Then it all unravelling. Just trying to remember when FZ and SJ joined, but my question is answered now because it was after we were relegated. My mind went blank.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Adult Member

David of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
Maybe the first to sign players from Chinese clubs but not the first ethnic Chinese to play in England. I can remember Sammy Chung managing Wolves in the 70's and he played League football beforehand. There's been a few others if you Google it.
Sammy Chung was from Berkshire!

I know, I know......he was half Chinese though
The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:43 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down low
They were introduced to the Palace crowd on the pitch for the Port Vale game in September 98 and Palace duly lapped up all the positive vibes and lost 1-0.

Palace were then on telly v Sheff Utd two weeks later and Fan was definitely playing in that game. It was a deal at the time because it was reported 100m Chinese (from their billion population) were watching the game.

One of those classic conversations where you could make the argument that Palace overnight were the number one supported club in the world.
The One More Point book is underway....and only 12 years late. This will be a book about not just One More Point but a look at all fanzines and their impact. It will look at what it was like being a Palace fan and football fan back in the 80s/90s. If you have comments, memories or just to remind me some (most likely drunken) incident back in the day then please PM me. And if you can think of a decent title then please step right up!
Old 04-02-2016, 07:19 PM

CedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It was surely no coincidence that the pre-match firework displays started soon after !

Great memories.

Remember Fan punching a Nottm Forest defender after a goalmouth scrap at a corner. A proper punch too. I could be wrong but I think it wasn't spotted by ref. Even the ref who failed send Dawson off at WBA would have sent him off.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:23 PM

pardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is here
Sun is one of a select few players in the English Football Hall of Fame.

Inducted at the National Football Museum on the same day that the Chinese President paid a visit with David Cameron.

What are the chances?!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:41 AM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Anyone remember how Sun in particular used to go round with an entourage that looked like something out of reservoir dogs? He had not cottoned on to the fact he probably needed it back home due to being very famous but over here could have easily nipped down to sainsburys without too much hassle.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:33 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post

Palace were then on telly v Sheff Utd two weeks later and Fan was definitely playing in that game. It was a deal at the time because it was reported 100m Chinese (from their billion population) were watching the game.
Has anyone ever found any evidence of this? I always remember the rumours and that for some time we held the most watched sporting/football game in history?
Old 05-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010ANDON View Post
Now, I remember these two quite well. Sun didn't play much as we went down the path of admin and he went off to Manchester City where he stayed for a few years and played well.
Sun went back to China before joining City.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact a Family charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And donate here https://www.justgiving.com/CyclingtheSeason

or by texting CPFC16 5 (or whatever amount) to 70070 to donate to Contact a Family and make a difference today
Old 05-02-2016, 02:40 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarEagle View Post
It was surely no coincidence that the pre-match firework displays started soon after !

Great memories.

Remember Fan punching a Nottm Forest defender after a goalmouth scrap at a corner. A proper punch too. I could be wrong but I think it wasn't spotted by ref. Even the ref who failed send Dawson off at WBA would have sent him off.
It was Dave Beasant he punched, and it wasn't a corner. We'd just been given a last minute penalty - which shouldn't have been because the foul was outside the box. Beasant was sent off for the foul; but there was a general melee and Fan punched him. Had we scored the penalty it would have got us a point (having been 3-0 down or something like that). However, the sub keeper saved it.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact a Family charity, who support families with disabled children.

or by texting CPFC16 5 (or whatever amount) to 70070 to donate to Contact a Family and make a difference today
Old 05-02-2016, 03:46 PM

Pub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
It was Dave Beasant he punched, and it wasn't a corner. We'd just been given a last minute penalty - which shouldn't have been because the foul was outside the box. Beasant was sent off for the foul; but there was a general melee and Fan punched him. Had we scored the penalty it would have got us a point (having been 3-0 down or something like that). However, the sub keeper saved it.
Was a good game.

Who missed the Pen? Clinton maybe?
Old 05-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
Was a good game.

Who missed the Pen? Clinton maybe?
I'm really guessing now, but Julian Gray? And was it twice taken, or am I making things up now?

Old 05-02-2016, 04:41 PM

Pub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
I'm really guessing now, but Julian Gray? And was it twice taken, or am I making things up now?
Yes!

Did he score first time and everyone went nuts then he missed the re-take.

Was gutting I recall that much.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:39 PM

Grim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down low
The keeper that saved it was a young Barry Roche, the same keeper I believe who scored in the 94th minute to rescue a point for his team just three days ago.

What is it about him and last minute heroics!!??

Was a great match. Quite shocked we didn't get a point because even as a early as Tommy Black making it 1-3, I was convinced we would win. We bombarded them in that 2nd half
The One More Point book is underway....and only 12 years late. This will be a book about not just One More Point but a look at all fanzines and their impact. It will look at what it was like being a Palace fan and football fan back in the 80s/90s. If you have comments, memories or just to remind me some (most likely drunken) incident back in the day then please PM me. And if you can think of a decent title then please step right up!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Glad....All Over!

Crofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is here
Two Wongs don't make a Wright.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:42 PM

Funniest Sun moment of course was when he got sent off at Bradford.

He accepted his fate and marched off but the ref kept blocking him. Poor Sun was confused. Most people could understand what was happening but poor Sun was getting more animated and remonstrating with the ref.

He was walking towards the dressing room in the corner of the pitch like it was at Selhurst but at Bradford's ground the dressing rooms were level with the half way line and the ref was simply trying to turn him in the right direction.

Annoying but funny at the same time.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:45 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Fan pushing the ref (QPR?) was another classic