Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 12-05-2016, 11:38 AM

Eli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Eddie McGoldrick cult hero.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:38 AM

SilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is here
Dean Gordon is a legend in my eyes. Local lad, played with pride in the shirt and was a quality player to boot.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:39 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli28 View Post
Players like Alan Lee are cult heroes.
For some maybe, the ones who could ignore how shit he was, but surely that elbow to Jedi had him stripped of that title.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:52 AM

SilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
For some maybe, the ones who could ignore how shit he was, but surely that elbow to Jedi had him stripped of that title.
Agree with this.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:48 PM

Glazier69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlazier69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlazier69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlazier69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlazier69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlazier69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlazier69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlazier69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlazier69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlazier69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlazier69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I would say players like Curcic, Aki, Alan Lee, Clint Hill, John Burridge, Dave Madden, fall into the "Cult Hero" category.

For me, the Legends are Johnny Byrne, John Jackson, Jim Cannon, Vince Hilaire, Geoff Thomas, Wright & Bright, Dougie Freedman, Clinton Morrison, AJ
Old 12-05-2016, 04:17 PM

Panther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betray
I'd add Steve Kember to the Legends.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Got 99 problems...

IpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
A lot of this will depend on your age.

I never saw some of the true legends play, but in my years watching palace i would say -

Legends - Martyn / Wright / Bright / AJ / Aki / Speroni

Cult Hero - Derry / Hughes / Hill / Curcic / Ndah

Honourable mentions to the following players who didn't play long enough for us but that if they did, i am certain they would have become our legends -

Lombardo / Cole / Forsell / Jansen

Freedman would be a substitute legend on my list (dropped from matchday due to recent form)

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill
Old 12-05-2016, 04:57 PM

Oli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
Was never the most talented but a key player in the admin season. Still gets his name sung in the pubs at away games.
Old 19-10-2017, 09:18 PM

jimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is here
This came up on the Allardcye discussion, thought about starting a thread on it, checked the searchbar and saw this, hence the bump...

My reading of it is people are far too free and easy with these terms.

A legend is someone whose presence is felt long after their association with the club is over.

A hero is someone who greatly enhanced the team he was playing in at the time. To the point of them being borderline irreplaceable.

A cult hero is someone whose personality endeared him to fans above his playing ability

So for me, as someone who started watching Palace in the late 80s.

Legends - Big Mal, Coppell, Ian Wright.

Heroes - Geoff Thomas, Nigel Martyn, Dougie Freedman, Mark Bright, Julian Speroni, Wilfried Zaha, AJ, Lombardo

Cult Heroes - Clinton Morrison, Aki, Sasa Curcic etc (this is more subjective)
Old 19-10-2017, 09:33 PM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lougz View Post
Bradford at home on a Tuesday night that was
Yeah brilliant. What struck me afterwards was that if I'd of run on the pitch waving my tits around I'd have been rugby tackled immediately but instead the game stopped and everyone, players, officials, fans etc just stood around thinking 'hmm wait a minute niiiice tits!'

Last edited by Sick Bucket; 20-10-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 19-10-2017, 09:50 PM

sylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy the gent View Post
This came up on the Allardcye discussion, thought about starting a thread on it, checked the searchbar and saw this, hence the bump...

My reading of it is people are far too free and easy with these terms.

A legend is someone whose presence is felt long after their association with the club is over.

A hero is someone who greatly enhanced the team he was playing in at the time. To the point of them being borderline irreplaceable.

A cult hero is someone whose personality endeared him to fans above his playing ability

So for me, as someone who started watching Palace in the late 80s.

Legends - Big Mal, Coppell, Ian Wright.

Heroes - Geoff Thomas, Nigel Martyn, Dougie Freedman, Mark Bright, Julian Speroni, Wilfried Zaha, AJ, Lombardo

Cult Heroes - Clinton Morrison, Aki, Sasa Curcic etc (this is more subjective)

Never heard of Jim Cannon or Kenny Samson
Old 19-10-2017, 09:54 PM

jimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan eagle View Post
Yes, but never watched them play. Hence "So for me, as someone who started watching Palace in the late 80s."
Old 19-10-2017, 10:16 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan eagle View Post
Or Johnny Byrne, Don Rogers, John Jackson, John Burridge, John Salako for starters.
Old 19-10-2017, 10:58 PM

Again, I only am talking about mine, and as someone who starting going in the late 80s. And I loved Johnny salad but a legend or someone without whom the team would be massively weaker, not sure about that. But that’s why it’s subjective.

Reason I posted is that people use the words all the time to the point where their stripped of real significance. Imho it should be very special player to get called a legend or club hero
Old 19-10-2017, 11:11 PM
We're Red and Blue

Youknowitstrue is fond of sand dunes and salty airYouknowitstrue is fond of sand dunes and salty airYouknowitstrue is fond of sand dunes and salty airYouknowitstrue is fond of sand dunes and salty airYouknowitstrue is fond of sand dunes and salty airYouknowitstrue is fond of sand dunes and salty airYouknowitstrue is fond of sand dunes and salty airYouknowitstrue is fond of sand dunes and salty airYouknowitstrue is fond of sand dunes and salty airYouknowitstrue is fond of sand dunes and salty airYouknowitstrue is fond of sand dunes and salty air

Ultimate Cult Hero
Old 19-10-2017, 11:38 PM
What, no boat?

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
Dean Austin for me.

We used to laugh at how he always had his hands in the air wanting to be passed to and rarely was.
Old 20-10-2017, 06:08 AM

Se9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The Palace hard men are cult heroes-Billy Gilbert,Mark Dennis and a Henry Hughton....
Old 20-10-2017, 07:29 AM
Power to the Palace

Skiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Darren Ambrose as to be a hero, surely. Not quite a legend though.
Old 20-10-2017, 07:30 AM

Palace Kebab : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Kebab : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Kebab : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Kebab : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Kebab : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Kebab : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Kebab : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Kebab : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Kebab : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Kebab : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Kebab : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Legends can't still be playing for us in my book. Pretty sure Wild is a legend in the making though.

Gabor - cult hero
Old 20-10-2017, 07:50 AM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknowitstrue View Post

Ultimate Cult Hero
No, he was just a terrible footballer playing at least two leagues above his level when with us