Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 02-07-2016, 11:49 AM

St.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat ov CPFC View Post
I fully agree. Given the general wealth of the immediate surroundings, Purley should be packed full of high end restaurants and shops but Croydon council merely see the south of the borough in terms of the money it brings in and has allowed it to deteriorate into the sorry condition it is now, with Coulsdon also being dragged into this as well. (recent examples in Coulsdon specifically are hitting the local cafes with an extra sunshine tax on the space that some of them utilise for tables outside and getting rid of the hours free parking)

Anything that brings more people into the locale has to be seen as a positive.
Oh, you must be talking about a different development of shops and restaurants then, not a seventeen storey residential eyesore .
Old 02-07-2016, 11:58 AM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Francois View Post
Oh, you must be talking about a different development of shops and restaurants then, not a seventeen storey residential eyesore .
What the residential eyesore might help to do that is bring in more direct footfall traffic through Purley, creating the demand.

One of the encouraging things for me about Coulsdon, which I am far more familiar with, is that the town centre does seem to have had an increase in people walking around over the last few years and there has been a small increase in the sense of it actually being a community again. There are a few nice cafes now and whilst there are still the profusing of charity shops and so on, I do think that perhaps the area could be on the verge of a potential renaissance although that will be despite Croydon council and not because of.

But I do use the word 'potential' with a deliberate unease because it could all fall down again for a variety of reasons, not least of which seems to be Croydon councils almost spiteful attack on the areas to the south of the borough in a variety of small but still unpleasant ways be it the removal of the garden rubbish collection to the removal of the hours free parking allowance in Coulsdon town centre.

And I am convinced that we get disproportionately targeted by the councils traffic wardens down here purely on the grounds that when people get ticketed they not only tend to pay up but also then tend to not stab the wardens to death either but I am also self-aware enough to accept that this my own personal prejudices coming to the fore here.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:11 PM

St.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSt.Francois : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
What the residential eyesore might help to do that is bring in more direct footfall traffic through Purley, creating the demand.

One of the encouraging things for me about Coulsdon, which I am far more familiar with, is that the town centre does seem to have had an increase in people walking around over the last few years and there has been a small increase in the sense of it actually being a community again. There are a few nice cafes now and whilst there are still the profusing of charity shops and so on, I do think that perhaps the area could be on the verge of a potential renaissance although that will be despite Croydon council and not because of.

But I do use the word 'potential' with a deliberate unease because it could all fall down again for a variety of reasons, not least of which seems to be Croydon councils almost spiteful attack on the areas to the south of the borough in a variety of small but still unpleasant ways be it the removal of the garden rubbish collection to the removal of the hours free parking allowance in Coulsdon town centre.

And I am convinced that we get disproportionately targeted by the councils traffic wardens down here purely on the grounds that when people get ticketed they not only tend to pay up but also then tend to not stab the wardens to death either but I am also self-aware enough to accept that this my own personal prejudices coming to the fore here.
I don't think that is really relevant, as the main factor for the improvements you are talking about in Coulsdon is the bypass, which has allowed Coulsdon to be more padestrian friendly, partly through small developments and improving footways.

I doubt you would want seventeen storey buildings along Coulsdon High Street?
Old 02-07-2016, 12:21 PM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I

The lays outs are so different that it is not comparable BUT I am willing to concede the general point of what you are saying but the reality is that the proposed site is effectively an isolated 'island' that is bounded on all sides by main roads.

I guess I am just generally saddened about what Purley has become and am very much of a mindset that anything that looks to bring more people into the middle of it has to be seen as a potential positive step.

Lets be honest, what the area really needs is the eyesore that is the multi-storey car park and leisure centre being knocked down and replaced with something more much modern and in keeping with the areas potential. That is a big site and a mixed leisure, housing and commercial complex could have the potential to be a massive success. But Croydon seem absolutely incapable of doing anything about that with their only attempts being to just close down the swimming pool.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:52 AM
Hello Everyone

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
I don't think that is really relevant, as the main factor for the improvements you are talking about in Coulsdon is the bypass, which has allowed Coulsdon to be more padestrian friendly, partly through small developments and improving footways.

I don't understand your fixation about tall buildings. If you live in a town surely tall buildings are the answer to providing more homes. There's many houses in Purley that fit one family in the same footprint and this building would have 220 homes.

People need somewhere decent to live. I'm all for that.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
I don't understand your fixation about tall buildings. If you live in a town surely tall buildings are the answer to providing more homes. There's many houses in Purley that fit one family in the same footprint and this building would have 220 homes.

You contradict yourself by calling Purley a 'traffic jam', and then say that 220 properties right in the centre (where there are currently none) is a good idea.

As for fixations with tall buildings, I don't have one. I also agree that people need somewhere to decent to live.

Are you a troll?
Old 03-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Hello Everyone

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
You contradict yourself by calling Purley a 'traffic jam', and then say that 220 properties right in the centre (where there are currently none) is a good idea.

As for fixations with tall buildings, I don't have one. I also agree that people need somewhere to decent to live.

Are you a troll?
That's not a contradiction. No one really worries about traffic when it comes to homes verses traffic. Have you ever been to London.

I don't really understand your objection unless you are in the shadow of it.

As for being a troll, ooh you're a troll too.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
That's not a contradiction. No one really worries about traffic when it comes to homes verses traffic. Have you ever been to London.

I don't really understand your objection unless you are in the shadow of it.

As for being a troll, ooh you're a troll too.
everything you write has holes in to argue with. I have better things to do, we'll have to agree to disagree. .

Last edited by St.Francois; 03-07-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 22-07-2016, 12:21 PM
. . . . .- --. .-.. . ...

regal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is here
Thanks to everyone who used the link to voice your objection to the proposal (was about 20 objections, now over 570!) and it seems a lot of locals aren't happy:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Notice how ALL of the CGI pictures are all from 'forgiving' perspective of a 'tall' building in the foreground, not actually a real representation of what a it will look like with nothing even close to 17 storeys near it - the current highest building being 4 storeys.

Please continue to voice your concerns before the September closing date
To view the link you have to Register or Login (link updated)

Last edited by regal_eagle; 22-07-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 22-07-2016, 12:29 PM

regal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

The tall building will be totally out of place..over 4 times the height of the current highest building in Purley.

Responsible developments are the answer, not putting things that are out of place in an area that doesn't have the infrastructure to support thousands of new people.

Purley is a decent place to live without hi-rise flats.
Old 22-07-2016, 12:32 PM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal_eagle View Post

Purley is a decent place to live without hi-rise flats.
The surrounding streets might be decent but the town centre is an absolute disgrace, given the wealth and potential that surrounds it. Bringing more people to live in it can only be a good thing because that could (and I stress the could because it seems plain that Croydon council have zero interest in doing anything to help the south of the borough) stoke up the demand and lead to move private investment.
Old 22-07-2016, 12:37 PM
People are People

firesign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal_eagle View Post
Thanks to everyone who used the link to voice your objection to the proposal (was about 20 objections, now over 570!) and it seems a lot of locals aren't happy:

Notice how ALL of the CGI pictures are all from 'forgiving' perspective of a 'tall' building in the foreground, not actually a real representation of what a it will look like with nothing even close to 17 storeys near it - the current highest building being 4 storeys.

Please continue to voice your concerns before the September closing date To view the link you have to Register or Login
Looks awesome
Old 22-07-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
The surrounding streets might be decent but the town centre is an absolute disgrace, given the wealth and potential that surrounds it. Bringing more people to live in it can only be a good thing because that could (and I stress the could because it seems plain that Croydon council have zero interest in doing anything to help the south of the borough) stoke up the demand and lead to move private investment.
(paraphrased) 'COULD ONLY be good because it MIGHT stoke up demand...' What sort of argument is that?!

Bringing in people isn't the problem, it's how they're proposing to just dump a thousand new people slap-bang in the centre in one giant eye-sore, and take 5 years of traffic nightmares in order to do it.

There needs to be responsible development that the locals approve of, not doing things in spite of the view of the majority of locals, as this will only remove any remaining community spirit in the area, countering what the Baptist Church 'hope' to achieve.

I don't understand why a few on here can't see that this will have negative impact on the area and what the locals grievances are.
Old 22-07-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesign View Post
Looks awesome
So did Avatar. Wasn't real though, was it..?

Camera angles can make the biggest things look small and endearing.
Old 22-07-2016, 12:45 PM

Sodermalm is like ice, their footing does betraySodermalm is like ice, their footing does betraySodermalm is like ice, their footing does betraySodermalm is like ice, their footing does betraySodermalm is like ice, their footing does betraySodermalm is like ice, their footing does betraySodermalm is like ice, their footing does betraySodermalm is like ice, their footing does betraySodermalm is like ice, their footing does betraySodermalm is like ice, their footing does betraySodermalm is like ice, their footing does betray
If you're against redevelopment and progress then move away
Old 22-07-2016, 12:46 PM
People are People

firesign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It doesn't what anyone wants to build anywhere - there will always be people who moan about it and the arguments are always the same.
Old 22-07-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodermalm View Post
If you're against redevelopment and progress then move away
Are you incapable of reading?
Old 22-07-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesign View Post
It doesn't what anyone wants to build anywhere - there will always be people who moan about it and the arguments are always the same.
Smaller developments dotted around is the right way to go about it instead of one massive building (followed by more and more)
Old 22-07-2016, 12:58 PM
Fishy McFishface

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Purely centre is in desperate need for investment and regeneration.

It is packed with charity shops, closed down stores, plus the fine dining of Wimpy and Starburger. The old Sainsbury's site has been derelict so long that the new Sainsbury's site that replaced it has now been derelict for something like a decade itself.

I've not studied the plans and I'm not saying that it is necessarily the right solution, but 17 stories is shit all in this day and age, and it might just be the trigger / catalyst to get Purely back to it's heyday of bustling quality shops.
Old 22-07-2016, 01:03 PM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
Quote:

I guess I am just generally saddened about what Purley has become and am very much of a mindset that anything that looks to bring more people into the middle of it has to be seen as a potential positive step.
The past five years has seen a massive increase in peasant scum infiltrating the area.