Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Betting

Notices

World of Betting Betting forum. Please bet responsibly: gambleaware.co.uk

Old 16-07-2016, 05:13 AM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Football betting previews thread - would you post on one?

For a few years, I have been an active poster on a betting forum called 'Punters Lounge' where punters share views on sports bets. For me, it has been bets on football.

Unfortunately, forum activity on PL has declined noticeably in the last year or so (not helped by lots of forum changes) and most of the quality posters have disappeared. So I don't post much there much any more.

This is the Punters Lounge forum ...
To view the link you have to Register or Login

One of the benefits of Punters Lounge was comparing notes on worthwhile bets and learning from others. I've been wondering if there was another forum for me to post on (there are a few others), but none of them excite me. So I thought, why not do it here?

So - what interest would there be in posting football betting previews here? I mean properly thought out ones, where the 'value' of any bet is explained and justfied over at least a few paragraphs, rather than just random tips.

Here are some examples of the types of post I mean, on the still-useful and active non-league section of Punters Lounge ...
To view the link you have to Register or Login

I don't want to start a solo blog-style thread with just me posting. I'd like one with several people actively contributing and commenting. It could be very useful - and fun The idea would be discuss in some detail the value of any bets on football.

What do you reckon? Would you actively post on such a thread? If there's evidence of enough interest, I'll start a new thread.
Old 22-07-2016, 08:46 AM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
** bump **

Interesting responses so far
Old 22-07-2016, 11:50 AM
Yearning for Buckeye Road

Mad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Love a footie bet.Have an account with William Hill.Started with £10 and I`ve got £86 in it now.I don`t bet every week as some weeks I just can`t see any value.Then there are teams I absolutely refuse to bet for or against as they always let me down.Orient is one,Oldham another after THAT year.I`m up for a betting forum if not just use this one.
Old 22-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Eircom goldminer

si1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I belong to a few message boards but don't often post on many - the only one other than the BBS that I regularly contribute to is on OLBG where they have an Underdog of the weekend thread (part of the Other football betting forum) which is always well supported and you get some good info on possible value bets. It is run by mazeymay who is a fellow Palace supporter (not sure if he is on here though).
Old 22-07-2016, 11:14 PM
BTC

Far East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is here
I love a bet and having an interesting thread like the OP says where good value bets are put forward and explained would be great
Old 23-07-2016, 01:50 PM

I think one of the benefits of having a 'Sensible football bets' type thread would be having to justify WHY it is a good bet. A bet that might at first seem a 'no-brainer' might not look quite so good if you had to do a write-up justifying it and looking at the pluses and minuses.
Old 23-07-2016, 01:56 PM

Mad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Ker ching,first win of the season,Moyes Sunderland manager.
Old 25-07-2016, 03:02 PM
Eircom goldminer

si1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesi1965 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I think one of the benefits of having a 'Sensible football bets' type thread would be having to justify WHY it is a good bet. A bet that might at first seem a 'no-brainer' might not look quite so good if you had to do a write-up justifying it and looking at the pluses and minuses.
I think it would need some firm guidelines (rules) which would require some ongoing administering (a referee if you like). As you say, it has to be more that "I like Team A to win" and needs to include some sound reasoning. Of course, what some people regard as sound reasoning others may regard as complete and utter tosh. I am happy for there to be criticism and discussion as long as it does not get personal and is focused on the 'facts'.

How broad a category were you thinking?
All football bets?
All UK football?
Premier and Football League only?
All types of bet market or just the main betting markets?
Old 25-07-2016, 03:20 PM

Icy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
The betting goldmine was excellent for this.

Personally i find it hard to get much value out of the premiership and championship, to unpredictable. Most of the decent wins I've had was betting on European or South American football (including a load of tips off the betting goldmine thread).
Old 25-07-2016, 03:55 PM

I think we should stick to football but make it all football.
Old 26-07-2016, 07:44 AM

bhcp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbhcp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbhcp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbhcp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbhcp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbhcp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbhcp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbhcp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbhcp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbhcp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbhcp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Love a footie bet.Have an account with William Hill.Started with £10 and I`ve got £86 in it now.I don`t bet every week as some weeks I just can`t see any value.Then there are teams I absolutely refuse to bet for or against as they always let me down.Orient is one,Oldham another after THAT year.I`m up for a betting forum if not just use this one.
Good work. I'd try using a different bookie. Hills margins always seem more than double some of the others for football. They always seem to run a book at 112% whereas bet365, Skybet, paddy seem to go 104-107 %.
Old 26-07-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcp View Post
Good work. I'd try using a different bookie. Hills margins always seem more than double some of the others for football. They always seem to run a book at 112% whereas bet365, Skybet, paddy seem to go 104-107 %.
I thought Bet365 and ran at a lot more than 107% on football? Perhaps their margins have been forced down by competition though.
Old 26-07-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
The betting goldmine was excellent for this.

Personally i find it hard to get much value out of the premiership and championship, to unpredictable. Most of the decent wins I've had was betting on European or South American football (including a load of tips off the betting goldmine thread).
I mainly remember the goldmine for its' 'curse' - short odds bets regularly failing disastrously Glad it worked for you though.
Old 26-07-2016, 02:35 PM

Well it looks as though there is a fair bit of interest in this idea. I'm just thinking about how to do it (without making it too complicated) ...
Old 26-07-2016, 03:11 PM

Icy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I mainly remember the goldmine for its' 'curse' - short odds bets regularly failing disastrously Glad it worked for you though.
Smashed it for me. Whoever posted the South American football tips won me about £500 on his own!
Old 26-07-2016, 03:24 PM
Eircom goldminer

The trouble with the Goldmine thread (apart from the 'curse') was that it did not promote any discussion - it was a case of "this is a winner - get on it"
I like to be educated and (hopefully) get better at betting so, while it is good to get the occasional dead cert, in the long run it is more valuable to learn, for example, that while a team is odds on it tends to win by a single goal against top half opposition or does not concede against the teams from the bottom of the division - information that can steer you to a more profitable betting market.
As Icy points out above, there is so much info and stats about the Premiership / Championship / major Euro Leagues that uncovering original info is difficult but as you go down the football ladder the lack of generally available intelligence is actually to our benefit.
Old 27-07-2016, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Smashed it for me. Whoever posted the South American football tips won me about £500 on his own!
Those were posted by GodstoneEagle, who is a football writer
Old 27-07-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1965 View Post
The trouble with the Goldmine thread (apart from the 'curse') was that it did not promote any discussion - it was a case of "this is a winner - get on it"
I was just looking back at the Goldmine thread (I was doing the records for it for a while).

The agreed 'Goldmine Rules' were:

Quote:
Reminder of Goldmine Rules (as agreed by regulars on this board)

A Goldmine Bet is one that is:

1. Very likely to win
2. Backed up by detailed reasoning as to WHY it will win
3. Minimum odds of 1.5 (or 1/2)

Please put everything else in another thread - if in doubt try the Betting Thread

But quite often people didn't provide detailed reasoning ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackSasa View Post
Plymouth to Qualify against Portmouth at 1/2 on Will Hill. Detailed reasoning: I think they will qualify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodstoneEagle View Post
Racing to beat SMSJ - 1.77

They will.

Trust me on this. Racing win this game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodstoneEagle View Post
"Because Racing will win the game" is my reasoning.

Should be 1.3-1.4

In reality, it's hard to enforce and 'police' rules. I think the best approach might be to encourage people to go into detail and hope that a lot do. If someone repeatedly posts 'Chelsea to win @ 4/6 - get on' style tips without explanation, they could be encouraged to post elsewhere, like the Betting Thread.

I was also wondering what we should call the new thread. The title should set the tone for the content.
Old 28-07-2016, 09:24 AM

Anyone got any ideas for a good thread title?
Old 28-07-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1965 View Post
How broad a category were you thinking?
All football bets?
All UK football?
Premier and Football League only?
All types of bet market or just the main betting markets?
I was thinking all football bets, with the accent being on serious thought-out discussion.