Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:58 AM

Isle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMan View Post
Thanks, the review I read suggested that it would read the Audible book in its own voice rather than the Audible one. Is that not the case?
Yes it does sorry I didn't explain that very well. It plays it exactly the same way, not using Alex's voice, but the actor/author's voice.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Old 06-12-2016, 01:52 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
From Amazon... i think it tells you all need to know about whether these things are worth the bother. This has to be the most damning positive review a product has ever received....

"By eztigrrrr on 29 Nov. 2016
Colour: Black Verified Purchase
So, after weeks of deliberation I finally succumbed to the Black Friday temptation of ordering myself my new AI friend “Alexa” (in the form of an Amazon Echo), as well as two smaller Amazon Echo Dots to place around the house in strategic locations.

FIRSTLY. I admit that I have only had the Amazon Echo for a weekend, but I just CANNOT understand the amount of 1 star reviews (and the ludicrously high amount of people finding those reviews useful?!). If I was a cynical person I’d suggest that there might even be some sort of industrial sabotage going on here. Is it just coincidence that all of these bad reviews (and huge amount of helpful votes) are hitting the Echo just before Google release their own version in time for Christmas?

So I’ve decided to give as honest and open a review as possible in order to highlight the pluses and (currently very few) minuses that I’ve experienced. I’ll add to the review as time goes on, as I have no doubt there will be some exciting developments in the coming months.

Day 1

Open up package. For once Amazon have used exactly the right sized box which is a pleasant surprise – in this instance for 1 x Amazon Echo and 2 x Amazon Echo Dots. Bought for £119 and £39 each respectively. Bargain. Excitedly unwrap the various boxes and pull “Alexa” out of her package for the first time. Initial thoughts are that she looks slightly larger than I’d envisaged, but very sleek and lovely. I’ve definitely had worse surprises than this.

Plug Alexa in to my kitchen, pride of place on the kitchen island. Download Alexa App on iPhone. I have Sky broadband by the way – I’ve seen reviews about Alexa not connecting to BT so can’t comment on this, but seems to have been resolved anyway. By the time the App has downloaded Alexa’s rather Sci-Fi circular top light is glowing orange and I connect her to my Wifi. This has taken less than a minute in all from opening the box and plugging her in. Alexa announces that she is now connected.

“Alexa, hello” I whisper in stunned awe and expectation

“Hello” Alexa responds, perhaps rather nonchalantly.

“Alexa, what is the weather like today” I ask

“The weather today will be 8 degrees and overcast, with a chance of sunshine later on”

I glance at my wife and my children. Truly, this is a new dawn in the technical age.

2 hours later : I have linked Alexa to my Spotify account, to Audible, have updated her skills to include my preferred news bulletins. I can now ask Alexa to play music, artists, songs. I have asked her to set multiple alarms. I have asked her to read my latest Audible book and then seconds later ask her to switch to Xfm, Radio 6 music, and Rinse fm just for laughs. I will test Alexa mercilessly on this in due course.

4 hours later : Downside. My eldest daughter (who is 5) has cottoned on to the “new miracle” in the kitchen and has developed an imperious style of talking to her. She demands constant jokes. They’re not too bad thankfully. Little Mix’s Black Magic has been played 335 times so far, followed by Abba’s Honey Honey, as well as Abba’s Mamma Mia. Unfortunately I have no way of getting Alexa to sanction particular songs or not. Yet.

6 hours later : I have plugged in Echo Dots in two other rooms. NB – you CANNOT link them in terms of playing songs on all of them together as you would a Sonos system. I have also not tried playing different songs off my Sonos system on different Echo speakers. I suppose that if only one account is linked then this could be an issue. I did find last night that when playing music from my iPhone on a Bluetooth speaker in another room, the music would switch off on the main Echo unit – i.e. couldn’t play the same Spotify account music at the same time in two parts of the house. Will have to revisit this.

Day 2

“Alexa, good morning” I say breezily as I come in to the kitchen the next day. “Good morning” she replies, with equal good humour, and then goes on to tell me some fact of the day about Frozen, which is 3 years old today.

“Alexa, put on the radio, please” I say, as I can’t yet get used to making demands without being polite. Well, I am British. The radio starts.

“Alexa, what is the weather like today?” my wife asks as she walks in to the room. Alexa responds. Jackets and scarfs it is. Radio continues playing.

“Alexa, tell me a joke” says my daughter to the Echo Dot in the next room and then runs in to tell us why the chewing gum crossed the road.

“Alexa, how do you boil an egg?” I ask, just testing her, and I smile wryly as Alexa tells me that she also recommends putting a little hole in the top of the egg with a skewer before boiling.

Throughout the day we all variously use Alexa to play an audible book, play the radio, set a number of timers whilst we’re cooking, work out the distance to the moon, tell us (multiple) jokes, and do a lot of dancing to Little Mix.

It also turns out that her favourite colour is infrared.

Truly, how did we every get on without her?

Conclusion so far….

We’re only on Day 3 now. I’m sure the novelty will wear off. And beyond the little gimmicks do we just have a very expensive egg timer, that also doubles up as a radio? Or is this the future as far as my home entertainment is concerned?

In short, I don’t quite know yet, but I’m very positive about what I’ve seen and experienced so far. And my conclusions so far….

- For the current price (£119 until the end of the day) this truly is a bargain. At £150 it’s a good price. The sound quality isn’t the same as my Sonos but it’s good enough.

- Once again, I cannot understand the 1 star reviews. How can anyone take this miracle out of the box and say that “it’s not good because you can’t have it read kindle books”. Seriously?! Either these people haven’t bought the Echo yet or they have an unhealthy relationship with Kindle. Or they work for a brand competitor....

- The sound quality of the Echo Dots (currently £39 and not quite as good value in my view) obviously isn’t as good or as loud, but it DOES have an internal speaker. You can also link these to Bluetooth speakers and (I suppose) bluetooth radios. I have one by the bed now which I have been using (for 24 hours admittedly) to ask the time, play the radio, or set a daily alarm.

- There are some wrinkles that need to be ironed out. Alexa hasn’t quite got it when I ask for a particular Sonos playlist yet – so I do find I have to go to my phone and bring up a particular playlist and then start it through the app. I can still then carry on as normal though…i.e. “Alexa, volume up”, “Alexa, skip”, “Alexa, what song is this?” etc. etc.

- There are also a number of “skills” that are advertised but which don’t (yet) work, and which are advertised as linkable. Others have mentioned that searching on Bing is not as good as searching on Google. Let’s face it, about 99.9% of people search on Google and clearly Google are holding off from allowing the Echo to do so until Google has stolen a march (or not) over its competitor.

+

There are certainly improvements to be made. But rather like the Sonos firmware, it’s fully updatable/futureproof etc. etc. and I am sure…. No. Actually I’m positive that our “Alexa” experience won’t stagnate and we find her gathering dust in a corner somewhere. I’m already excited about linking with Hive, Philips Hue and other media. In 12 months? You’ll be able to walk in to a room and have Alexa turn lights on, turn your TV and Netflix on, set the temperature to what you want it to be, and then order some food to be delivered in nanoseconds.

Do you really, REALLY need an Amazon Echo? Well, do you really, REALLY need smart TVs, Netflix, Amazon delivering in a day, Just Eat, DAB radio, intelligent playlists, a speaker reading you a book etc. etc. etc.? Probably not. But if you’re of that opinion then you’re not going to be reading these reviews anyway.

And if Google comes up with an amazing alternative and it looks like in 12 months’ time that the Echo will be obsolete, then what has the downside really been in the meantime?

More to follow soon…."

Old 06-12-2016, 01:59 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reps AJ View Post
I bet you're one of these luddities that still switches their lights on and off by hand too
I know shameful.. I also have to get off my arse on the rare occasions i have to override my preset thermostat.

If i want to put on some music.. i have to go through the laborious process of selecting it on my iphone and syncing my iphone with the bluetooth speaker. Sometimes I wonder what i could be achieving with these lost seconds.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:12 PM

Isle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
I know shameful.. I also have to get off my arse on the rare occasions i have to override my preset thermostat.

If i want to put on some music.. i have to go through the laborious process of selecting it on my iphone and syncing my iphone with the bluetooth speaker. Sometimes I wonder what i could be achieving with these lost seconds.
More time for wondering about things? ;-)

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
Old 26-12-2016, 10:54 AM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
I was running out of time and completely at a loss as to what to buy my wife for Christmas when I remembered these things. She's put it in the kitchen and had the radio/music on, used it for the shopping list/reminders, linked it to the Hive thermostat and asked random questions just for the fun of it. She loves gadgets and technology and is the sort of person (unlike me) that will actually take the time to use it to it's maximum. Overall, it's much better than expected and I'm in the good books (for the short term no doubt) due to it's purchase, even so far as she wants a Dot for the bedroom.
Old 26-12-2016, 03:50 PM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
Is it three laws safe?
Old 26-12-2016, 03:51 PM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_mik View Post
Is it three laws safe?
What are the three laws?
Old 26-12-2016, 06:33 PM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrils View Post
What are the three laws?
Try asking it if it's three laws safe. Amazon has probably programmed a witty response to it.
Old 26-12-2016, 07:07 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
What do people think of the music playback? I've had two demos now and the sound quality just doesn't seem to match my little Bose setup
Old 26-12-2016, 07:22 PM
its true we're red'n'blue

disco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedisco mixx kidd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Or the play1 Sonos.
Old 26-12-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
What do people think of the music playback? I've had two demos now and the sound quality just doesn't seem to match my little Bose setup
The Echo is pretty good and the dot I have bluetoothed to my BOSE soundlink mini so great.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
Old 28-12-2016, 07:26 AM

karl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkarl.eldridge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrils View Post
What are the three laws?
Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics"

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Rutilus quod Puteulanus

www.smartipx.com
Old 28-12-2016, 07:45 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
From Amazon... i think it tells you all need to know about whether these things are worth the bother. This has to be the most damning positive review a product has ever received....

"By eztigrrrr on 29 Nov. 2016
Colour: Black Verified Purchase
So, after weeks of deliberation I finally succumbed to the Black Friday temptation of ordering myself my new AI friend “Alexa” (in the form of an Amazon Echo), as well as two smaller Amazon Echo Dots to place around the house in strategic locations.

FIRSTLY. I admit that I have only had the Amazon Echo for a weekend, but I just CANNOT understand the amount of 1 star reviews (and the ludicrously high amount of people finding those reviews useful?!). If I was a cynical person I’d suggest that there might even be some sort of industrial sabotage going on here. Is it just coincidence that all of these bad reviews (and huge amount of helpful votes) are hitting the Echo just before Google release their own version in time for Christmas?

So I’ve decided to give as honest and open a review as possible in order to highlight the pluses and (currently very few) minuses that I’ve experienced. I’ll add to the review as time goes on, as I have no doubt there will be some exciting developments in the coming months.

Day 1

Open up package. For once Amazon have used exactly the right sized box which is a pleasant surprise – in this instance for 1 x Amazon Echo and 2 x Amazon Echo Dots. Bought for £119 and £39 each respectively. Bargain. Excitedly unwrap the various boxes and pull “Alexa” out of her package for the first time. Initial thoughts are that she looks slightly larger than I’d envisaged, but very sleek and lovely. I’ve definitely had worse surprises than this.

Plug Alexa in to my kitchen, pride of place on the kitchen island. Download Alexa App on iPhone. I have Sky broadband by the way – I’ve seen reviews about Alexa not connecting to BT so can’t comment on this, but seems to have been resolved anyway. By the time the App has downloaded Alexa’s rather Sci-Fi circular top light is glowing orange and I connect her to my Wifi. This has taken less than a minute in all from opening the box and plugging her in. Alexa announces that she is now connected.

“Alexa, hello” I whisper in stunned awe and expectation

“Hello” Alexa responds, perhaps rather nonchalantly.

“Alexa, what is the weather like today” I ask

“The weather today will be 8 degrees and overcast, with a chance of sunshine later on”

I glance at my wife and my children. Truly, this is a new dawn in the technical age.

2 hours later : I have linked Alexa to my Spotify account, to Audible, have updated her skills to include my preferred news bulletins. I can now ask Alexa to play music, artists, songs. I have asked her to set multiple alarms. I have asked her to read my latest Audible book and then seconds later ask her to switch to Xfm, Radio 6 music, and Rinse fm just for laughs. I will test Alexa mercilessly on this in due course.

4 hours later : Downside. My eldest daughter (who is 5) has cottoned on to the “new miracle” in the kitchen and has developed an imperious style of talking to her. She demands constant jokes. They’re not too bad thankfully. Little Mix’s Black Magic has been played 335 times so far, followed by Abba’s Honey Honey, as well as Abba’s Mamma Mia. Unfortunately I have no way of getting Alexa to sanction particular songs or not. Yet.

6 hours later : I have plugged in Echo Dots in two other rooms. NB – you CANNOT link them in terms of playing songs on all of them together as you would a Sonos system. I have also not tried playing different songs off my Sonos system on different Echo speakers. I suppose that if only one account is linked then this could be an issue. I did find last night that when playing music from my iPhone on a Bluetooth speaker in another room, the music would switch off on the main Echo unit – i.e. couldn’t play the same Spotify account music at the same time in two parts of the house. Will have to revisit this.

Day 2

“Alexa, good morning” I say breezily as I come in to the kitchen the next day. “Good morning” she replies, with equal good humour, and then goes on to tell me some fact of the day about Frozen, which is 3 years old today.

“Alexa, put on the radio, please” I say, as I can’t yet get used to making demands without being polite. Well, I am British. The radio starts.

“Alexa, what is the weather like today?” my wife asks as she walks in to the room. Alexa responds. Jackets and scarfs it is. Radio continues playing.

“Alexa, tell me a joke” says my daughter to the Echo Dot in the next room and then runs in to tell us why the chewing gum crossed the road.

“Alexa, how do you boil an egg?” I ask, just testing her, and I smile wryly as Alexa tells me that she also recommends putting a little hole in the top of the egg with a skewer before boiling.

Throughout the day we all variously use Alexa to play an audible book, play the radio, set a number of timers whilst we’re cooking, work out the distance to the moon, tell us (multiple) jokes, and do a lot of dancing to Little Mix.

It also turns out that her favourite colour is infrared.

Truly, how did we every get on without her?

Conclusion so far….

We’re only on Day 3 now. I’m sure the novelty will wear off. And beyond the little gimmicks do we just have a very expensive egg timer, that also doubles up as a radio? Or is this the future as far as my home entertainment is concerned?

In short, I don’t quite know yet, but I’m very positive about what I’ve seen and experienced so far. And my conclusions so far….

- For the current price (£119 until the end of the day) this truly is a bargain. At £150 it’s a good price. The sound quality isn’t the same as my Sonos but it’s good enough.

- Once again, I cannot understand the 1 star reviews. How can anyone take this miracle out of the box and say that “it’s not good because you can’t have it read kindle books”. Seriously?! Either these people haven’t bought the Echo yet or they have an unhealthy relationship with Kindle. Or they work for a brand competitor....

- The sound quality of the Echo Dots (currently £39 and not quite as good value in my view) obviously isn’t as good or as loud, but it DOES have an internal speaker. You can also link these to Bluetooth speakers and (I suppose) bluetooth radios. I have one by the bed now which I have been using (for 24 hours admittedly) to ask the time, play the radio, or set a daily alarm.

- There are some wrinkles that need to be ironed out. Alexa hasn’t quite got it when I ask for a particular Sonos playlist yet – so I do find I have to go to my phone and bring up a particular playlist and then start it through the app. I can still then carry on as normal though…i.e. “Alexa, volume up”, “Alexa, skip”, “Alexa, what song is this?” etc. etc.

- There are also a number of “skills” that are advertised but which don’t (yet) work, and which are advertised as linkable. Others have mentioned that searching on Bing is not as good as searching on Google. Let’s face it, about 99.9% of people search on Google and clearly Google are holding off from allowing the Echo to do so until Google has stolen a march (or not) over its competitor.

+

There are certainly improvements to be made. But rather like the Sonos firmware, it’s fully updatable/futureproof etc. etc. and I am sure…. No. Actually I’m positive that our “Alexa” experience won’t stagnate and we find her gathering dust in a corner somewhere. I’m already excited about linking with Hive, Philips Hue and other media. In 12 months? You’ll be able to walk in to a room and have Alexa turn lights on, turn your TV and Netflix on, set the temperature to what you want it to be, and then order some food to be delivered in nanoseconds.

Do you really, REALLY need an Amazon Echo? Well, do you really, REALLY need smart TVs, Netflix, Amazon delivering in a day, Just Eat, DAB radio, intelligent playlists, a speaker reading you a book etc. etc. etc.? Probably not. But if you’re of that opinion then you’re not going to be reading these reviews anyway.

And if Google comes up with an amazing alternative and it looks like in 12 months’ time that the Echo will be obsolete, then what has the downside really been in the meantime?

More to follow soon…."

SCRO great review. Just one question. My wife has severe tinnitus and has hearing aids for both ears. Does Alexa do subtitles?
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 28-12-2016, 08:06 AM
Arse end of Nottingham.

henryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is here
Not sure I see the point of one of these things. Exotically named assistant. Why not one called Ethel or Bert? "Update my shopping list, Ethel." "No, go and do it with a pen and paper, you idiot." "Will I need an umbrella today in Cockermouth, Bertana?" "Look out the window, numb nuts." Thank you, Cortina, Bertana, whatever your fancy, silly name is."

Still, after Amazon Logistics interpreting my 'if out, leave in back garden' delivery preference to leave large parcel by the front the door just by the pavement in full view of passers by, jump back in your van and bugger off in less than 30 seconds, I can ask (Crewe) Alexadranda: "Why are Amazon couriers so incompetent?" and wait for her to tell me it's two degrees in Beeston.
Old 28-12-2016, 08:10 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Did the guy in the review really refer to the machine as 'her'?

Bring back the gallows.
Old 28-12-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl.eldridge View Post
Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics"

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
Thank you. She's currently got the whole family under surveillance, so it's very difficult to talk candidly at the moment. If she doesn't like what we're saying, she turns the heating off and plays the theme tune form Barney the Dinosaur on loop until we get back in line, so I've got to be quick.

I'll ask her opinion on these laws a little later - she's a bit chippy in the mornings...
Old 28-12-2016, 09:16 AM
it's a city you know...

st albans came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietst albans came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietst albans came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietst albans came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietst albans came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietst albans came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietst albans came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietst albans came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietst albans came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietst albans came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietst albans came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
i don't get it.. why would you need this? Has it really become too hard to use a smart phone by hand?
Same here, literally see no one reason for this. All the stuff is available in seconds on your phone
Old 28-12-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st albans View Post
Same here, literally see no one reason for this. All the stuff is available in seconds on your phone
Apart from the speaker that is...
Old 28-12-2016, 09:30 AM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
I have a record player....is that the same thing?
Old 28-12-2016, 09:39 AM
Naughty but nice

fioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_mik View Post
Try asking it if it's three laws safe. Amazon has probably programmed a witty response to it.
Yes, it is not always helpful. When asking Alexa at 3am where one can buy coke she replied "You can't be serious".

On the whole so far though, have been pretty happy with my Dot.

CPFC - Top 2 Tiers 1977 to ----

Seasons in the Top Flight - CPFC - 18 BHAFC - 5
Brig**on - Taking it since 1901