Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 28-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
My Mum has told me that my Uncle got one as a present and is really pleased with it. So my Mum is thinking of getting one, but wants me to look into it.

So how complicated is it to set up, is the small version transportable (taking to supermarket etc for shopping lists) etc etc

As she lives miles away from me, it will be my brother who will have to do nearly all of the firefighting when things dont work as they should, so how many hours per week should he set aside in his already full diary to assist my Mum?

Basically what I am asking is, I know it will enhance my Mums life but at what cost to the health and happiness of my brother?
Just to back up the other comments this is super easy to get going. It guides you through set up easy enough. If you want to get clever and use it control say the lights that seems straightforward. I bought the TP-Link wifi plugs but there are others. I can speak for the TPs and they are super easy to set up and once working with their own app - all you do is search for them with the Alexa app and add them in and they are voice controlled.

We have them for our Xmas lights that are dotted around in different places.

I agree with the comment that it's best to approach it as a fun toy/gimmick and then I think you will be pleasantly surprised how useful it turns out to be. If you think it's going to run your entire world today for you then you are probably kidding yourself. I do regularly use it to add appts to my diary, control certain lights, listen to the radio and the odd tune, weather and news and the dreadful jokes. I did start to listen to an audiobook too. My niece in law (?) uses it to create her shopping lists (that can be emailed to you soon now I think).

It does occasionally overhear something that it thinks is a command and bursts into life but this has been more humourous than onerous so far.
Old 28-12-2016, 03:42 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
Just to back up the other comments this is super easy to get going. It guides you through set up easy enough. If you want to get clever and use it control say the lights that seems straightforward. I bought the TP-Link wifi plugs but there are others. I can speak for the TPs and they are super easy to set up and once working with their own app - all you do is search for them with the Alexa app and add them in and they are voice controlled.

We have them for our Xmas lights that are dotted around in different places.

I agree with the comment that it's best to approach it as a fun toy/gimmick and then I think you will be pleasantly surprised how useful it turns out to be. If you think it's going to run your entire world today for you then you are probably kidding yourself. I do regularly use it to add appts to my diary, control certain lights, listen to the radio and the odd tune, weather and news and the dreadful jokes. I did start to listen to an audiobook too. My niece in law (?) uses it to create her shopping lists (that can be emailed to you soon now I think).

It does occasionally overhear something that it thinks is a command and bursts into life but this has been more humourous than onerous so far.
Cheers Martin
Old 28-12-2016, 07:34 PM
Troublemaker

EdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Is there an app on the Echo which enables you to talk someone else with an Echo without calling them on the phone?
Old 31-12-2016, 11:38 AM

Isle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMan View Post
Is there an app on the Echo which enables you to talk someone else with an Echo without calling them on the phone?
Nope its not that kind of device think, of it as a voice activated search assistant.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Old 31-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Troublemaker

EdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdMan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Wight View Post
Nope its not that kind of device think, of it as a voice activated search assistant.
Thanks. As I thought. The technology could easily do it of course, but I guess it would create security issues as well as undermine the whole telephone industry.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:35 AM

rhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Quite funny but being easy to order things by mistake (and difficult to get a refund?) Is probably part of their business model.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Name them and win a prize

elliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Still struggling to find any smart plugs online that will talk to Alexa. Any good ideas?
Old 07-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Born in South London

gcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Old 07-01-2017, 01:13 PM

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Still struggling to find any smart plugs online that will talk to Alexa. Any good ideas?
I use the tp-link WiFi plugs with Alexa and very impressed. They do 2 types, one with usage monitor, one without. Can be used with an app too if required. Use them every day.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:16 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reps AJ View Post
I bet you're one of these luddities that still switches their lights on and off by hand too
How else do you do it
Old 07-01-2017, 08:07 PM

Isle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
TP links in Sainsburys. 20 instead of 25 I use then and they work fine

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
Old 10-01-2017, 11:52 PM
This

Galo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I have Energenie smart plugs they work reasonably well and cheap, sold at Amazon, screwfix etc
Old 11-01-2017, 09:03 PM

elliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galo View Post
I have Energenie smart plugs they work reasonably well and cheap, sold at Amazon, screwfix etc

Long term I reckon this is the plan, might get some of the wall sockets.

You need the hub right? And they definitely talk to Alexa?

Elliott

Last edited by elliott; 11-01-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:27 PM
This

Galo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Long term I reckon this is the plan, might get some of the wall sockets.

You need the hub right? And they definitely talk to Alexa?

Elliott
Yes you need a hub, I got a starter pack on the cheap from amazon that was on offer before Christmas. It does work with Alexa - Only have to say "Alexa, turn the lamp on", and it does it. You don't have to mention the brand or skill first which is helpful. Also works with IFTTT so you can do all sorts - which might make using Alexa redundant.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:39 PM

The TP link ones don't need any sort of hub, they just use your wifi. You control it with an app or/and Alexa.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:17 PM

Thanks for this, the sainsburys website says out of stock, for both.

Will the shops have it, even if the website doesn't
Old 12-01-2017, 03:01 PM

If you mean TP-Link, I got mine delivered via Amazon.
Old 13-01-2017, 06:27 PM

rhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
The TP link ones don't need any sort of hub, they just use your wifi. You control it with an app or/and Alexa.
How much power do they consume being constantly on?
Old 13-01-2017, 08:20 PM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
I bought an Echo which was delivered this morning, largely as a result of the reviews in this thread.

It's a breeze to set up - far easier than I imagined it might be. I had read that some people had problems connecting to a BT home hub, but mine connected immediately with no problems.

I am definitely a technophile, which is a problem because my wife is a technophobe. She hates things like this and gets annoyed with me for liking them. The only way I could get her to try to like the Echo was to promise that I would return it if she still didn't like it after a week's 'fair trial'. Although she won't yet admit it, I think for once she has been sold on this. She even went so far as to tell me this afternoon that she thought we would be keeping it - as I left her streaming music in the kitchen (via Amazon Prime music - free with Prime membership) from her favourite artists.

We have a Hive, and the Echo controls the water and individual room temperatures. It plays every radio station (including a few obscure ones) that I have suggested to it. Alexa responds instantly, even when music is playing at a high volume.

It's an incredibly well designed device and works flawlessly.
Old 13-01-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I bought an Echo which was delivered this morning, largely as a result of the reviews in this thread.

It's a breeze to set up - far easier than I imagined it might be. I had read that some people had problems connecting to a BT home hub, but mine connected immediately with no problems.

I am definitely a technophile, which is a problem because my wife is a technophobe. She hates things like this and gets annoyed with me for liking them. The only way I could get her to try to like the Echo was to promise that I would return it if she still didn't like it after a week's 'fair trial'. Although she won't yet admit it, I think for once she has been sold on this. She even went so far as to tell me this afternoon that she thought we would be keeping it - as I left her streaming music from her favourite artists in the kitchen.

We have a Hive, and the Echo controls the water and individual room temperatures. It plays every radio station (including a few obscure ones) that I have suggested to it. Alexa responds instantly, even when music is playing at a high volume.

It's an incredibly well designed device and works flawlessly.
You wait until you start asking it for specific music and it plays the wrong one or you get the "I did not understand the request" driving you crazy Still love mine and find it really annoying when I go into one of our rooms where we haven't one and I cant simply ask things. My new favourite is the shopping list for odd stuff , last up super glue, as as soon as I think of something I just shout out where as before I would always forget. Is it necessary? No. Is it useful and fun? yep. BTW get yourself some smart TP link switches from sainsburys, 20 at the mo, and have hours of fun switching the lights on and off :-)

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013