Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 13-01-2017, 09:25 PM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Wight View Post
You wait until you start asking it for specific music and it plays the wrong one or you get the "I did not understand the request" driving you crazy
It's found every track I have asked of it so far, including a number of very obscure songs from the 1960s.
Old 13-01-2017, 11:38 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I bought an Echo which was delivered this morning, largely as a result of the reviews in this thread.

It's a breeze to set up - far easier than I imagined it might be. I had read that some people had problems connecting to a BT home hub, but mine connected immediately with no problems.

I am definitely a technophile, which is a problem because my wife is a technophobe. She hates things like this and gets annoyed with me for liking them. The only way I could get her to try to like the Echo was to promise that I would return it if she still didn't like it after a week's 'fair trial'. Although she won't yet admit it, I think for once she has been sold on this. She even went so far as to tell me this afternoon that she thought we would be keeping it - as I left her streaming music in the kitchen (via Amazon Prime music - free with Prime membership) from her favourite artists.

We have a Hive, and the Echo controls the water and individual room temperatures. It plays every radio station (including a few obscure ones) that I have suggested to it. Alexa responds instantly, even when music is playing at a high volume.

It's an incredibly well designed device and works flawlessly.
the clincher here was turning off all the Xmas lights at once instead of trotting around the house turning them all off (in awkward places). Could do it other ways but it is so easy/neat/cool even. I use it to listen to the radio. News and weather is useful for us too. Often use it to work out what x$ are in .

Genuinely impressed with the word recognition. It is quite amusing.
Ask it 'how much is that dog in the window'. Do it twice as I think there are 2 answers silly but.....
Old 15-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Name them and win a prize

elliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
You wait until you start asking it for specific music and it plays the wrong one or you get the "I did not understand the request" driving you crazy Still love mine and find it really annoying when I go into one of our rooms where we haven't one and I cant simply ask things. My new favourite is the shopping list for odd stuff , last up super glue, as as soon as I think of something I just shout out where as before I would always forget. Is it necessary? No. Is it useful and fun? yep. BTW get yourself some smart TP link switches from sainsburys, 20 at the mo, and have hours of fun switching the lights on and off :-)

Out of stock (like they appear to be everywhere)
Old 15-01-2017, 01:40 PM

Isle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Out of stock (like they appear to be everywhere)
Just got back from my local and noticed five sitting on the shelves. Now where is that smug emoji

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Old 15-01-2017, 05:13 PM

elliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelliott : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Just got back from my local and noticed five sitting on the shelves. Now where is that smug emoji

FFS. I've just bought the energenie pack from ebuyer for 51 so not too worried.
Old 19-01-2017, 09:44 AM

Might have a spare energenie starter pack. Bought two by mistake, if anyone is looking for one. PM me.
Old 19-01-2017, 09:56 AM

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
You wait until you start asking it for specific music and it plays the wrong one or you get the "I did not understand the request" driving you crazy Still love mine and find it really annoying when I go into one of our rooms where we haven't one and I cant simply ask things. My new favourite is the shopping list for odd stuff , last up super glue, as as soon as I think of something I just shout out where as before I would always forget. Is it necessary? No. Is it useful and fun? yep. BTW get yourself some smart TP link switches from sainsburys, 20 at the mo, and have hours of fun switching the lights on and off :-)
I have only got the one still but have thought about getting more. Downstairs we are open plan (ish) with 3 divided room spaces in a U shape around a walled Hall/stairs space. So it sits in the middle space and I can normally shout (talk loudly ) out a question and get her to respond albeit less accurately (understandably). Ideally I would have a small one in each space but I don't think they are designed for this are they! I.e. They aren't synced up as such and all 3 would try to respond? For instance, Alexa every now and then pipes up or does something because it has recognised something from the TV etc.

I guess I should just order a small one for the bedroom and try it downstairs first but just wondered what your experience had been.
Old 20-01-2017, 04:24 PM
johnkettleyisaweatherman

eddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Alexa struggles to understand most of my north eastern accent. Not quite Geordie, not quite North Yorkshire but somewhere in between.

Nearly 7 million views!!!

WOW!
Old 20-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieskyclad View Post
Alexa struggles to understand most of my north eastern accent. Not quite Geordie, not quite North Yorkshire but somewhere in between.

You should have bought it from the Argos in Northallerton ... They are regionally set

Last edited by chrisophiex; 20-01-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 20-01-2017, 10:53 PM

My post prompted me to order it today with the 20% discount so a little dot arrived 2 hours later
Old 20-01-2017, 11:24 PM

Isle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
I have only got the one still but have thought about getting more. Downstairs we are open plan (ish) with 3 divided room spaces in a U shape around a walled Hall/stairs space. So it sits in the middle space and I can normally shout (talk loudly ) out a question and get her to respond albeit less accurately (understandably). Ideally I would have a small one in each space but I don't think they are designed for this are they! I.e. They aren't synced up as such and all 3 would try to respond? For instance, Alexa every now and then pipes up or does something because it has recognised something from the TV etc.

I guess I should just order a small one for the bedroom and try it downstairs first but just wondered what your experience had been.
Missed your post sorry but if two hear the same thing only the closest responds I've just ordered a remote to see if that's of use. The20% off was the tempt for me as well

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
Old 20-01-2017, 11:29 PM
Shit or Bust

Shamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Mine arrives Monday and looking forward to linking it up with my LightwaveRF devices. Having to pick my phone up to turn all the lights and tvs the wife left on was getting too much hard work.
Old 21-01-2017, 05:02 PM

TP Links now half price at 12.50 in Sainsburys. Just picked up the last 3 in my local. Also a D Link starter kit with a smart sensor, a smart plug and smart camera for 50 instead of 90. Trying to, but cant think of if I really need or want that.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
Old 21-01-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
TP Links now half price at 12.50 in Sainsburys. Just picked up the last 3 in my local. Also a D Link starter kit with a smart sensor, a smart plug and smart camera for 50 instead of 90. Trying to, but cant think of if I really need or want that.
Bo**** I have bought 5 and that would have saved me 60 mind you I had gem before Xmas and they have been very useful so can't complain
Old 21-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
My dot arrives tomorrow . Going to hook it up to a nice speaker in the kitchen and gen up on my Smiths songs
Old 21-01-2017, 05:36 PM

My dot arrived in a couple of hours, using Prime Now and I set it up in mins in the bedroom. Not sure where it will end up eventually but at that price it makes a really affordable control device once it is connected into our Crestron system and so very hopeful at the minute.
Old 29-01-2017, 02:33 PM

Ok anyone managed to get alexa connected to their PCs/Mac and accessing the iTunes library on the PC/Mac for playback on the alexa speaker?

Also my remote came. Great bit of kit that makes things easy whe you don't want to shout commands across the room especially late at night. You can whisper and it picks the commands up. Seems to be far less prone to errors of understanding as well.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
Old 13-02-2017, 12:00 AM

After having my echo for a few months I have found it great for home automation, news, weather, playing the radio but it absolutely stinks when using for music. 50% of the time it gets the wrong music or can't find it in prime. The ones it does get right are shuffled. I want to listen in order. You can't use the Amazon app either and then from the app search and tell it what to play. You can if you use the Spotify app though. To me that's odd that Spotify integration is better than their own.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
Old 13-02-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
After having my echo for a few months I have found it great for home automation, news, weather, playing the radio but it absolutely stinks when using for music. 50% of the time it gets the wrong music or can't find it in prime. The ones it does get right are shuffled. I want to listen in order. You can't use the Amazon app either and then from the app search and tell it what to play. You can if you use the Spotify app though. To me that's odd that Spotify integration is better than their own.
I haven't used it for music that often but TBH I have been surprised how good it has been. I tend to use it to listen to the radio now rather than Fire that up on the PC or a DS.
Old 13-02-2017, 08:39 AM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Quote:
To avoid the 'shuffle' you have to restructure the question e.g. 'Alexa, play the album Is This It by The Strokes'. If the question is phrased by putting the artist first, she begins searching before the album is mentioned and, as a result, you get the 'shuffle'.