Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 20-03-2017, 09:06 PM

Olympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
He'll bring that other c*nt Blunt on as special guest.
That Jo Whiley suicide vest stage invasion just got a whole load more appealing.
Old 20-03-2017, 10:28 PM
We scored three...

knowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Like Radiohead a lot, but they really need to up it after their Roundhouse shows. I thought they were really dull, and very self-indulgent. Disappointing after some previous crackers.
I saw them later in the year in Berlin at a festival and the setlist was much more crowd pleasing - To view the link you have to Register or Login.

They certainly have it in them but I can't see anything other than a hit-laden set from them, rather than Pablo Honey in its entirety followed by King of Limbs.
Old 20-03-2017, 10:33 PM
We scored three...

knowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesy14 View Post
Agreed - it's nothing against Radiohead or the Foo's either. Like you say, Radiohead are a great band & I have a lot of love for Dave Grohl. Those 3 headliners have just given me the hump - pathetic I know.

It'd just be nice to have a bit of diversity. Those 3 acts seem to be aimed at white middle class folk. It's just boring. My point is, back in '95 for example - Oasis headlining. Yeah they're 5 white blokes, but they'd have been kids tuning in from council estates up North watching that, being truly inspired - if they can do it, why can't they? Rather than some 25 year old architect from Surbiton swaying along to Radiohead in his living room whilst sipping a glass of Pinot. Kanye West is mainstream but at the least him headlining shook things up a bit.

I hear Wiley is performing & I'm sure there will be other diverse acts - but the headliners are the big statement. I would've liked to have seen something like a Grime artist named as a headliner. I'm not gonna make out I'm some huge Grime fan - I'm not. My knowledge is pretty much Stormzy & Skepta - but why not name someone like one of them? Grime is huge at the moment, & again - an act like that would appeal to teenagers. It could inspire a whole generation. Rather than Ed Sheeran singing some song about fingering a tart in Galway.

So yeah, that's my point - I know others won't agree.
Stormzy has literally only just released his first album and while it is absolutely class, I can't see how you really justify putting him there.

Skepta maybe but he played last year middle of the day on the Pyramid, he just isn't headline material yet.

I think Drake could have been an option. I am not a fan at all, could barely name a song of his, but he is a global superstar, no doubt about it and his live shows are meant to be incredible.

Muse, Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, all come out of the same crock o' shite though. Chris Martin can't even ******* sing.
Old 20-03-2017, 10:46 PM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesyUCLA View Post
Stormzy has literally only just released his first album and while it is absolutely class, I can't see how you really justify putting him there.

Skepta maybe but he played last year middle of the day on the Pyramid, he just isn't headline material yet.

I think Drake could have been an option. I am not a fan at all, could barely name a song of his, but he is a global superstar, no doubt about it and his live shows are meant to be incredible.

Muse, Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, all come out of the same crock o' shite though. Chris Martin can't even ******* sing.
Oasis had only released one album when they headlined in 1995 & I'm pretty sure that was the case for Arctic Monkeys in 2007.
Old 21-03-2017, 01:41 PM
We scored three...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesy14 View Post
Oasis had only released one album when they headlined in 1995 & I'm pretty sure that was the case for Arctic Monkeys in 2007.
Oasis being very much the exception to the rule then off the back of an era defining album and Britpop hysteria. I can't think of any Definitely Maybe's being released in the past few years to push anyone to that level straight away.

Arctic Monkeys were off the back of their second album, which was a very solid follow up to one of the best debuts of all time. I was there and they really were excellent - When The Sun Goes Down straight into Brianstorm to start set the tone. Kasabian were great beforehand too.

Alex Turner is now a glorified Elvis impersonator sadly, and Kasabian have moved into Kings of Leon/Foo Fighters bland stadium rock territory.
Old 21-03-2017, 06:09 PM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Most major festivals in this country are at such rip off prices they make going to football feel like a bargain. Amazed people still shell out. Much rather go to a gig of an up and coming band in a small packed venue at 20th of the price than fill the pockets of some bloated has been and their agents.
Old 21-03-2017, 06:20 PM

eastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjas Headband View Post
Most major festivals in this country are at such rip off prices they make going to football feel like a bargain. Amazed people still shell out. Much rather go to a gig of an up and coming band in a small packed venue at 20th of the price than fill the pockets of some bloated has been and their agents.
Even that maths doesn't add up for Glastonbury, where you can easily see more than 20 acts over the 4 days of the festival (in whatever sized venue you like).
Old 22-03-2017, 09:57 AM

Tomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Festivals are expensive. Glastonbury has become overly so, but generally you’re spending 150 quid for a 3 day festival which isn’t terrible considering the bands you can see.
Gigs in themselves have become stupidly expensive over the last 2 years.
Radiohead are playing Manchester in July and it’s £75. I’d imagine even the cheaper Foo Fighters ticket would be £50.
I love seeing new bands at smaller venues, but sometimes you want to see more established bands play some of the hits.
Old 22-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Selhurstian

EagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was cleaning out the attic the other day and found a load of old gig tickets. Found one for Radiohead from 1997 on the OK Computer tour. Was £11 to see them at the Brixton Academy. Bargain.

Quite a set list too. To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 22-03-2017, 11:52 AM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastend eagle View Post
Even that maths doesn't add up for Glastonbury, where you can easily see more than 20 acts over the 4 days of the festival (in whatever sized venue you like).
My point is that festivals like Glastonbury, Latitude & Reading are now too expensive for the likes of myself. If I want to take my family you're looking at well over £500 without the expense of travel & feeding. When I started going to Glastonbury in the early 90's the cost was £22 and as a student, free via climbing the fence. How do students afford it today?

We tend to now go to the smaller festivals but a lot of them are reaching £200 a ticket and often have add ons like parking & camping. On the positive side there seems to be an increasingly wide variety of festivals for all tastes & budgets. Staple festivals for me over the last few years has been Field Day & Farm Fest which both cost @£50.

Does anyone else have recommendations for new or interesting festivals?
Old 25-03-2017, 01:39 AM
Fishy McFishface

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
Festivals are expensive. Glastonbury has become overly so, but generally youíre spending 150 quid for a 3 day festival which isnít terrible considering the bands you can see.
You have to factor in the amount of booze, gear and grub on top of that. As The Streets said, a grand doesn't come for free.
Old 25-03-2017, 07:06 AM

Tomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels View Post
You have to factor in the amount of booze, gear and grub on top of that. As The Streets said, a grand doesn't come for free.
I agree.

But if you went to small club gigs those costs are still there...
Old 25-03-2017, 08:04 AM

Spoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjas Headband View Post
Try this one, best of both worlds

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 25-03-2017, 10:45 AM
Edenbridge in Exile

Yeah, thinking of going to Leefest, especially as it's close to the area I grew up in. Only problem is that some mates don't fancy it as they prefer the annonimouty of a festival further away from where they live & work. Should be perfect to take the family though.

* From memory, isn't one of the organisers of Leefest a BBS member?
Old 25-03-2017, 12:11 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE24 View Post
I was cleaning out the attic the other day and found a load of old gig tickets. Found one for Radiohead from 1997 on the OK Computer tour. Was £11 to see them at the Brixton Academy. Bargain.

Was telling my wife the other day that I used to just call Brixton Academy direct to get concert tickets. Often the phone would just ring and ring, but eventually someone would answer, who sounded like they were in the middle of something else, take your ticket order and you'd get them face value.

Then the agencies took over as the only source for the tickets, and you were down about 5 quid per ticket before the 'actual' price was even considered.

This was because her sister was buying tickets to see 30 Seconds to Mars and Muse for $300 a pop
Old 25-03-2017, 12:33 PM
glad all over

Son of Coveta came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Coveta came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Coveta came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Coveta came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Coveta came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Coveta came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Coveta came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Coveta came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Coveta came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Coveta came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Coveta came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE24 View Post

Was there for that and they were brilliant,that was a brilliant Glasto and a very fun time of my life.Smashing Pumpkins played that year and i remember The Levellers set ended up in a giant mud fight
Old 26-03-2017, 01:47 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
Was telling my wife the other day that I used to just call Brixton Academy direct to get concert tickets. Often the phone would just ring and ring, but eventually someone would answer, who sounded like they were in the middle of something else, take your ticket order and you'd get them face value.

Then the agencies took over as the only source for the tickets, and you were down about 5 quid per ticket before the 'actual' price was even considered.

This was because her sister was buying tickets to see 30 Seconds to Mars and Muse for $300 a pop
I can remember sending a postal order and SAE directly to venues to see Slade, Mott, T rex etc.
Old 26-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Edenbridge in Exile

Used to get my tickets from Keith Prowse in the shopping arcade next to Allders while on my way to Beanos to feed my record addiction.
Old 27-03-2017, 12:28 PM

Kevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post

I found out late about a band I like who were playing the O2 Islington Academy 2 on Sat night. I left it too late to buy tickets online as it was after 6pm and doors were already open. I took a chance and just went up there and was pleasently surprised that I could just buy one at the window on the way in. Felt very old skool, but once again, part of the joy of supporting smaller bands.
Old 27-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Buy records instead, and go to gigs in grimy little clubs.