Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 13-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
Selhurst Park Floodlights - top three

I know we have discussed Palace games under floodlights before, but this is a slightly different challenge. Rate your three best floodlit games (out of 10)
in the following categories: Importance; Atmosphere; Quality of Opposition.

Obviously there is some correlation (especially between Importance and Atmosphere) - but try and be as objective as possible.

My top three:

1. To view the link you have to Register or Login

Palace played the final game of the Season against Burnley, in front of a record crowd of 51,482 (with thousands of fans locked outside).

Atmosphere: 10 (nearly 52,000 fans, mostly standing - insane atmosphere, never to be repeated)
Importance: 9 (win meant the top of the league; draw meant promotion in second place, loss would have meant staying down)
Quality of Opposition: 2 (Burnley were already relegated and had nothing to play for)

Total: 21

2. To view the link you have to Register or Login

Palace were already safe, but Liverpool were fighting to win the title. At 0-3 it looked as if we might be facing a cricket score ...

Atmosphere: 9 (best I can remember since all seating - especially during those last 10 minutes or so)
Importance: 2 (the game was largely irrelevant to Palace - playing for pride and a few million quid in place money only)
Quality of Opposition: 9 (Liverpool were title contenders for much of the Season)

Total: 20

2. To view the link you have to Register or Login

The last time Palace beat Arsenal was in 1979. Points were desperately needed by both sides, at the opposite ends of the table:

Atmosphere: 7 (fantastic throughout, but since the win was far easier than was expected, not quite the best ever)
Importance: 6 (vital points - but this was a 'free hit' - Palace have other winnable games to come).
Quality of Opposition: 6 (we have to be honest, Arsenal were not much cop - although credit must be given to Palace for making them look so poor).

Total: 19
Old 13-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Selhurstian

EagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I would have Palace 3 - Sunderland 2 (2004 in mine). Will have a think about scores.
Old 13-04-2017, 02:57 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
My favourite, because it was my first, was the FA Cup 3rd Round replay v Liverpool in 1977. I normally wasn't allowed up that late but an exception was made because it was such a big game. It was truly awesome seeing the pitch illuminated like that for the first time when you're that young. And when Paul Hinshelwood hit the top corner to put us 1-0 up, it felt like a life-changing moment that I've continued to pay for for the last 40 years.

As a schoolboy who'd only ever watched Palace in the 3rd Division, it was probably the first time I'd seen an opposition team had more than 1 or 2 players I'd ever heard of let alone internationals at the top of their game; Kevin Keegan, Phil Neal, Ray Clemence, Emlyn Hughes, Phil Thompson etc Amazing we managed to hold them at Anfield.
Old 13-04-2017, 03:03 PM
Party on

Chris Finch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Finch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Finch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Finch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Finch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Finch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Finch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Finch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Finch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Finch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Finch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE24 View Post
I would have Palace 3 - Sunderland 2 (2004 in mine). Will have a think about scores.
Palace Sunderland 2004
Crystanbul 2014
Palace Arsenal 2017
Old 14-04-2017, 06:31 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
I've always had fond memories of the Swindon play off second leg in 1989. I certainly never believed Ron Noades' official attendance of c.20,000 because the Holmesdale was absolutely jam packed. It was quite a balmy evening and there was just a sense in the air that we had a team whose time had come. Wright and Bright did the job to turn around the first leg deficit.

So based on James scoring system:

Importance 9
Atmosphere 8
Quality of opposition 5

Total 22
Old 14-04-2017, 06:51 AM

Olympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
I've always had fond memories of the Swindon play off second leg in 1989. I certainly never believed Ron Noades' official attendance of c.20,000 because the Holmesdale was absolutely jam packed. It was quite a balmy evening and there was just a sense in the air that we had a team whose time had come.
Absolutely spot on. That was a marvellous evening.
Old 14-04-2017, 07:46 AM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
From the slightly misleading title, I thought this was going to be a thread comparing floodlights of different grounds. In the 1970s the old free standing floodlights were pretty impressive as I remember.
Old 14-04-2017, 08:18 AM
From the sunny Side

sunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
A few other faves
What about the Chelsea Cup game in the torrential rain...Grant Watts
Super Kevin Phillips hat trick v Hull
Old 14-04-2017, 08:27 AM
Naughty but nice

fioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
I've always had fond memories of the Swindon play off second leg in 1989. I certainly never believed Ron Noades' official attendance of c.20,000 because the Holmesdale was absolutely jam packed. It was quite a balmy evening and there was just a sense in the air that we had a team whose time had come. Wright and Bright did the job to turn around the first leg deficit.

So based on James scoring system:

Importance 9
Atmosphere 8
Quality of opposition 5

Total 22
Yep, definitely right up there for me too that evening. Great atmosphere and win. Arfur was bedlam.

CPFC - Top 2 Tiers 1977 to ----

Seasons in the Top Flight - CPFC - 18 BHAFC - 5
Brig**on - Taking it since 1901
Old 14-04-2017, 08:32 AM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
James has nailed it
Old 14-04-2017, 08:38 AM

SeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE24 View Post
Incredible night!
Old 14-04-2017, 08:44 AM
He's got flair and hair

Palace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Danny Butterfield.
Old 14-04-2017, 11:12 AM

Tom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Palace v Burnley 1979, Palace v Burnley 1983, Palace v Swindon 1989.
Old 14-04-2017, 12:41 PM
One Henry Hughton

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Burnley 1979,Swindon 1989 ,Arsenal 2017. Liverpool was great but apart from the last fifteen minutes it had little going for it.

Twinned with MK Dons
Old 14-04-2017, 05:15 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
1. Palace v Man City 1970.
Importance: 10 We had to win to stay up. We won 1-0 but still had to wait a week to know our fate.

Atmosphere: 10 When Jacko saved a pen from Lee Selhurst erupted like never before. The chant of Jackson for England could be heard in Norbury.

Qual of OPP: 8 Lee, Summerbee, Bell. Enough said.

Palace v Burnley 1979. IMPORTANCE 10. We needed to get back to where we belong.Funny but in my mind I never think of this game as a floodlit match. Seems like so much of it was played in the early summer light.

ATMOSPHERE 8. Until we scored I thought the atmosphere was very tense.

QUAL OF OPP 4. Burnley were already relegated and despite being urged on by about three Clarets and seven Sunderland fans they didn't seem like they were intent on spoiling a good party.

Palace v Sunderland 2004.

IMPORTANCE 8. Not as important as the other two in so much as we could have lost and still achieved - although highly unlikely- our goal.

ATMOSPHERE 9. Was surprized how good it was that night from all sides of the ground.

QUALITY OF OPP 8. A very decent Sunderland side who wanted it as much as we did.

Last edited by big bad John; 14-04-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 14-04-2017, 06:01 PM

November85 FFS MurrayNovember85 FFS MurrayNovember85 FFS MurrayNovember85 FFS MurrayNovember85 FFS MurrayNovember85 FFS MurrayNovember85 FFS MurrayNovember85 FFS MurrayNovember85 FFS MurrayNovember85 FFS MurrayNovember85 FFS Murray
Burnley 79 was before my time, but Swindon 89 has to be the best for me.
Old 14-04-2017, 06:02 PM

dowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is here
Palace 8, Southend 0, Rumbelows Cup
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 14-04-2017, 06:09 PM

sherstonpalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesherstonpalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesherstonpalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesherstonpalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesherstonpalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesherstonpalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesherstonpalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesherstonpalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesherstonpalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesherstonpalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesherstonpalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowieslovechild View Post
Palace 8, Southend 0, Rumbelows Cup
To view the link you have to Register or Login
I seem to remember their manager (David Webb I think) saying they'd turn the lights off for the return leg.
Old 14-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Swindon playoff!
Old 14-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Swindon Playoff
Was very full in the AW Enclosure, but looking over to the Holmesdale was a crazy sight - Palace fans were squished into one compound of the Holmesdale, while Swindon had two of them, and you could visibly see how densely packed the Palace bit was!
Amazing sense of hysteria in pushing the team to overcome the first leg deficit.
Awesome night!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013