Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 14-04-2017, 07:01 PM
Dog Rough

SJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is here
Burnley 1979 (I've still got Steve Kembers shirt from that game)

Swindon 1989

Arsenal 2017
Old 14-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Vikings No 6

Big Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
My favourite, because it was my first, was the FA Cup 3rd Round replay v Liverpool in 1977. I normally wasn't allowed up that late but an exception was made because it was such a big game. It was truly awesome seeing the pitch illuminated like that for the first time when you're that young. And when Paul Hinshelwood hit the top corner to put us 1-0 up, it felt like a life-changing moment that I've continued to pay for for the last 40 years.

As a schoolboy who'd only ever watched Palace in the 3rd Division, it was probably the first time I'd seen an opposition team had more than 1 or 2 players I'd ever heard of let alone internationals at the top of their game; Kevin Keegan, Phil Neal, Ray Clemence, Emlyn Hughes, Phil Thompson etc Amazing we managed to hold them at Anfield.
Spot on and exactly how I see it. This was the first game that really gave me the Palace bug, I had been a few matches before but this was the match that made me Palace well and truly for life
Old 14-04-2017, 07:08 PM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
I've always had fond memories of the Swindon play off second leg in 1989. I certainly never believed Ron Noades' official attendance of c.20,000 because the Holmesdale was absolutely jam packed. It was quite a balmy evening and there was just a sense in the air that we had a team whose time had come. Wright and Bright did the job to turn around the first leg deficit.

So based on James scoring system:

Importance 9
Atmosphere 8
Quality of opposition 5

Total 22
Yeah I went to that and I think it's the most nervous I've ever been for Palace.
Old 14-04-2017, 07:09 PM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Edit. Just remembered Stockport that was worse.
Old 14-04-2017, 10:23 PM

modernsouler sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkmodernsouler sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkmodernsouler sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkmodernsouler sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkmodernsouler sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkmodernsouler sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkmodernsouler sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkmodernsouler sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkmodernsouler sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkmodernsouler sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkmodernsouler sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Everton 1977 (FA Youth Cup Final)

Norwich 1991 (Full Members Cup semi-final)
Old 14-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
The thing about that Swindon game that I remember was not just the atmosphere in the stadium, but the whole area of SE25 was buzzing. I walked to the game from Croydon via various pubs. It was a bit balmy evening, everyone's car windows were open - you just knew it was going to be a special night
Old 14-04-2017, 11:37 PM

M3 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineM3 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineM3 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineM3 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineM3 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineM3 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineM3 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineM3 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineM3 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineM3 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineM3 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I'd add the game against Chelsea where Wrighty chipped over Bessant plus the match when Salako went in goal v Wimbledon and the play off v the clowns as other great nights. Monday was certainly up there as one of the best.
Old 15-04-2017, 07:59 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
The thing about that Swindon game that I remember was not just the atmosphere in the stadium, but the whole area of SE25 was buzzing. I walked to the game from Croydon via various pubs. It was a bit balmy evening, everyone's car windows were open - you just knew it was going to be a special night
Agree, the place was swarming with Palace and you knew it would be an electric night. Palace had had several years of near misses getting into the play offs, and it was like we knew just how good Wright and Bright were, a go up now or possibly lose them moment. There was no margin for error
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 28-04-2017, 11:32 PM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Palace v Leeds utd league cup November 1968 2-1

Palace v Millwall 1969 FL Div 2 March 1969 4-2

Palace v Sunderland August 1969 FL Div 1 2-0 our first ever top flight win

"Why go to learn the words of fools?" Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane

Last edited by Percy Dalton; 02-05-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 29-04-2017, 12:24 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Now days don't you all just get blinded by the lights?
Old 29-04-2017, 06:56 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
An obscure gem, Oxford 1-0 84/85 Aylott winner against all powerful team at the time who had dicked us 0-5 at their place.

Liverpool cup game 92/93 Andy Thorn header

I also went to a crazy Wimbledon vs Villa cup game, rather random, ended up 8-7 on penalties
Old 29-04-2017, 07:24 AM

Se9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
Swindon Playoff
Was very full in the AW Enclosure, but looking over to the Holmesdale was a crazy sight - Palace fans were squished into one compound of the Holmesdale, while Swindon had two of them, and you could visibly see how densely packed the Palace bit was!
Amazing sense of hysteria in pushing the team to overcome the first leg deficit.
Awesome night!
What added to the atmosphere was that it was a very hot and humid night.Unusual for May.
Old 29-04-2017, 07:30 AM

Se9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
3-2 win over Southampton in 82 or 83.Mike Flanagan hat-trick.was in the Arthur Waite enclosure and it was totally mental when we scored.Back in the day when lads used to stand in there pub groups.Always made sure not to be near the Wilton!
Old 29-04-2017, 07:32 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se9 eagles View Post
3-2 win over Southampton in 82 or 83.Mike Flanagan hat-trick.was in the Arthur Waite enclosure and it was totally mental when we scored.Back in the day when lads used to stand in there pub groups.Always made sure not to be near the Wilton!
That was 1980. My first ever match
Old 29-04-2017, 07:38 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Dalton View Post
Palace v Leeds utd league cup November 1968 2-1

Palace v Millwall 1969 FL Div 2 March 1969 4-3

Palace v Sunderland August 1969 FL Div 1 2-0 our first ever top flight win
Not a game I went too but the two I was surprised are missing from your list is the 1965 F A Cup game against Forest 3-1. I remember listening on the radio great night.
The other is the Real Madrid game.
Old 29-04-2017, 07:40 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernsouler View Post
Everton 1977 (FA Youth Cup Final)

Norwich 1991 (Full Members Cup semi-final)
Norwich the night Super Al put on Salakos boots....well something had to explain his performance that night he looked world class
Old 29-04-2017, 07:41 AM
The hero of Shadow Moses?

Levski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember the 2-1 win over Liverpool in League Cup as an amazing atmosphere in the Holmesdale. It was a great game with two superb strikes by Rubins and Morrison. Shame about the 2nd leg...
Old 29-04-2017, 07:47 AM
Jog on........

NRM the 2nd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNRM the 2nd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNRM the 2nd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNRM the 2nd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNRM the 2nd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNRM the 2nd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNRM the 2nd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNRM the 2nd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNRM the 2nd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNRM the 2nd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNRM the 2nd : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Palace 3 2 sunderland. Friday night, play off on the back of an great run to get into play offs. The atmosphere was the best I've known.

Palace 3 3 liverpool. It just has to be there.

Palace 2 0 forest 93/94. My first night game and first win as a palace fan.
Old 29-04-2017, 07:55 AM

Mr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sunderland play off 3-2 still the best I've known in 50 years. Incredible game, unbelievable atmosphere.
Old 29-04-2017, 08:02 AM

Garfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
Norwich the night Super Al put on Salakos boots....well something had to explain his performance that night he looked world class
Mentioning Salako I would include the game he went in goal along with Burnley in 1979 and Crystanbul.