Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 29-04-2017, 08:22 AM

Whoru : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhoru : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhoru : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhoru : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhoru : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhoru : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhoru : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhoru : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhoru : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhoru : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhoru : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Liverpool at home, 2-1 Andreas Rubins. (Lc)
Watford 3-2. Garvan crackers (champ).
Old 29-04-2017, 08:56 AM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
Not a game I went too but the two I was surprised are missing from your list is the 1965 F A Cup game against Forest 3-1. I remember listening on the radio great night.
The other is the Real Madrid game.
Was at both yes indeed great nights. Problem is for us "mature" supporters with so many games under our belts choosing great matches and players just gets harder.

Another fantastic under the lights game was the last home game 69/70 v Man City we just simply had to win, the atmosphere was electric and you just know the crowd pushed us to that crucial 1-0 victory.

"Why go to learn the words of fools?" Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane
Old 29-04-2017, 09:09 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Dalton View Post
Was at both yes indeed great nights. Problem is for us "mature" supporters with so many games under our belts choosing great matches and players just gets harder.

Another fantastic under the lights game was the last home game 69/70 v Man City we just simply had to win, the atmosphere was electric and you just know the crowd pushed us to that crucial 1-0 victory.
On the choosing great matches and players have to agree is harder as you get older. I keep changing my mind on Wilf does he make the all time team and if so who do I drop, Don Rogers or Peter Taylor and then there is Salako on the subs bench. The Man City game has to be up there for what it meant but we were not safe even after the win.
The Real Madrid game I was not at but my Grandfather was and to him it was surreal to think they were playing at Selhurst by far the greatest club side ever to appear on our pitch.
Old 29-04-2017, 11:04 AM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
On the choosing great matches and players have to agree is harder as you get older. I keep changing my mind on Wilf does he make the all time team and if so who do I drop, Don Rogers or Peter Taylor and then there is Salako on the subs bench. The Man City game has to be up there for what it meant but we were not safe even after the win.
The Real Madrid game I was not at but my Grandfather was and to him it was surreal to think they were playing at Selhurst by far the greatest club side ever to appear on our pitch.
I was just so pleased to see Johnny Byrne back, he was and always will be my Palace hero. I still have a copy of the Evening news from that evening previewing the game.

As for best 11, given up now its too hard so stick to each decade. If pushed would put Rogers, Taylor and Johnny Salad ahead of him at present, they scored more goals than Wilf has so far. However I still think we should play him down the middle he showed against Brighton in the semi final play off 2nd leg, that he has a poachers instinct. He would cause chaos running at central defenders down the middle.

Old 29-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
He's objectively better than Taylor or Salad. He's played at the highest level for longer. He makes our all time team for sure.
Old 29-04-2017, 11:34 AM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
I was just so pleased to see Johnny Byrne back, he was and always will be my Palace hero. I still have a copy of the Evening news from that evening previewing the game.

As for best 11, given up now its too hard so stick to each decade. If pushed would put Rogers, Taylor and Johnny Salad ahead of him at present, they scored more goals than Wilf has so far. However I still think we should play him down the middle he showed against Brighton in the semi final play off 2nd leg, that he has a poachers instinct. He would cause chaos running at central defenders down the middle.
I was there too, to witness little old Palace play the best club side in the world. It was an unforgetable memory. I agree about Johnny Byrne, he didn't look out of place playing against the Spanish superstars. Terry Longs goal was outstanding, a real belter.
Old 29-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I know we have discussed Palace games under floodlights before, but this is a slightly different challenge. Rate your three best floodlit games (out of 10)
in the following categories: Importance; Atmosphere; Quality of Opposition.

Obviously there is some correlation (especially between Importance and Atmosphere) - but try and be as objective as possible.

My top three:

1. To view the link you have to Register or Login

Palace played the final game of the Season against Burnley, in front of a record crowd of 51,482 (with thousands of fans locked outside).

Atmosphere: 10 (nearly 52,000 fans, mostly standing - insane atmosphere, never to be repeated)
Importance: 9 (win meant the top of the league; draw meant promotion in second place, loss would have meant staying down)
Quality of Opposition: 2 (Burnley were already relegated and had nothing to play for)

Total: 21

2. To view the link you have to Register or Login

Palace were already safe, but Liverpool were fighting to win the title. At 0-3 it looked as if we might be facing a cricket score ...

Atmosphere: 9 (best I can remember since all seating - especially during those last 10 minutes or so)
Importance: 2 (the game was largely irrelevant to Palace - playing for pride and a few million quid in place money only)
Quality of Opposition: 9 (Liverpool were title contenders for much of the Season)

Total: 20

2. To view the link you have to Register or Login

The last time Palace beat Arsenal was in 1979. Points were desperately needed by both sides, at the opposite ends of the table:

Atmosphere: 7 (fantastic throughout, but since the win was far easier than was expected, not quite the best ever)
Importance: 6 (vital points - but this was a 'free hit' - Palace have other winnable games to come).
Quality of Opposition: 6 (we have to be honest, Arsenal were not much cop - although credit must be given to Palace for making them look so poor).

Total: 19
Missed the first of those by 3 days, had to go to Australia with the Army.

The two others were great games as well.

One that does stand out is the Wolves game where Danny Butterfield scored the perfect hattrick in 6 minutes versus Wayne Hennessy.

Another Wolves (I think) night time game where my son predicted that Dougie Freedman would score a hattrick, lo and behold he did. My son was only 5/6 at the time. Think we won 5-0 that night.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 30-04-2017, 10:21 PM
In a nutshell

Both Taylor and Salako suffered from injuries, Salako almost ended his career early as I am sure you will recall. He played for us not counting injury periods for 5 top flight league seasons, plus a couple for Coventry.

No doubt injuries and pray no relegations or transfers Wilf will have a long top flight career with us, but as always with players of different era's it is so difficult to compare.

Old 30-04-2017, 10:39 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Both Taylor and Salako suffered from injuries, Salako almost ended his career early as I am sure you will recall. He played for us not counting injury periods for 5 top flight league seasons, plus a couple for Coventry.

No doubt injuries and pray no relegations or transfers Wilf will have a long top flight career with us, but as always with players of different era's it is so difficult to compare.
Taylors injury was at Spurs and it could be argued he never appeared in the top flight for us. Yet he makes the all time team for me by being one of the great wingers I just loved watching the guy play, and the Cup run proved to me he was capable of playing in the top flight, the nutmeg on Frank Gray still brings a smile.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:05 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Palace v Leeds utd league cup November 1968 2-1

Palace v Millwall 1969 FL Div 2 March 1969 4-3

Palace v Sunderland August 1969 FL Div 1 2-0 our first ever top flight win
Got to be old for them Percy (millwall was 4 - 2 I think).The Leeds game was outstanding .They lost 4 domestic games all season and were the stand out side of the time. can still see Colin Taylors thunderbolt flying in. Would never have thought then we would be well above them ever.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:31 PM

New LP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNew LP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNew LP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNew LP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNew LP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNew LP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNew LP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNew LP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNew LP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNew LP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNew LP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Arsenal 3-0 this season
Sunderland 3-2 playoffs 2004
Crystanbul

Also mentions for Chelsea 3-1 league cup 1992 and that crazy game against Wimbledon when John Salako went in goal.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:13 PM
In a nutshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
Got to be old for them Percy (millwall was 4 - 2 I think).The Leeds game was outstanding .They lost 4 domestic games all season and were the stand out side of the time. can still see Colin Taylors thunderbolt flying in. Would never have thought then we would be well above them ever.
Yes Colin Taylor's goal was special in the Leeds game. He scored a similar one in the Millwall game as well which in fact was 4-2. We were 3-0 at half time and straight from the restart Bobby Woodruff hit the bar with a great shot, this seemed to wake Millwall up who hit us with two quick goals and we were hanging on until we got a 4th and Selhurst erupted not just noise but fighting on the terraces under the iron work of the in construction Arthur Wait stand.

Last edited by Percy Dalton; 02-05-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:18 PM
In a nutshell

Quote:
Taylors injury was at Spurs and it could be argued he never appeared in the top flight for us. Yet he makes the all time team for me by being one of the great wingers I just loved watching the guy play, and the Cup run proved to me he was capable of playing in the top flight, the nutmeg on Frank Gray still brings a smile.
Yes indeed he left for Spurs before we won the second division championship and picked up his injuries then, but I am sure they were mainly due to the punishment he had received season after season. While Johnny Salad's injury was due to a bad landing, he also took some knocks. Wilf thankfully does not have to face the same sort of tackles on a regular basis Peter Taylor and to a lesser extent John Salako did, although we do still see bad tackles they are not so regular thank goodness

Old 02-05-2017, 03:27 PM

SilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is here
One lesser game but an enjoyable one - Palace 4 - 1 Portsmouth with Vaughan's hat-trick, not in my top 3 but definitely up there.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:41 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
This is a great thread and it's still impossible to choose only 3 games under the floodlights. But one of them would probably be the Millwall match in 1969. I was away at University but managed to get to every home game (not too difficult as Sussex isn't so far to travel to SE25).

It was a re-arranged fixture and there were the usual pre-match skirmishes with the old foe but what was different that evening was Millwall not getting their usual foothold on the Holmesdale (though they did light a few fires on the side nearest Park Road) and Palace roaring through the first half, Woodfuff at his best with a brace. The atmosphere was electric, the crowd (over 32000) knew Palace would go from 5th to 2nd with a win and the evening just got better when McCormick scored with a tremendous shot from outside the penalty box.

It finished 4-2 and there was the small matter of getting back to Brighton. The train service was poor in those dim and distant days and it was a stopping train for the return journey. Got back after 1am. But what an evening.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:17 AM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Agree with all of the above but additionally I went to Palace 3 Cardiff 2 (think that was the score) in 2011. It was a great performance and rocking atmosphere even with only 11k in the stadium. Craig Bellamy was walking off at the end pointing at our supporters and clapping them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 22-05-2017, 03:13 PM
Scarfer army

GeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
My top three would be close to James' but it's been great to be reminded of a few of the lesser ones.

I'd like to add a couple from the title winning season of 93-94 (v Leicester & v Southend).
Both were crucial to keeping us above the pack and both were against very dangerous opposition.

The Southend game was won by a very late Simon Rodger goal and Selhurst exploded (mainly in relief).

The game versus Leicester was a great atmosphere throughout. I think Paul Stewart was among the scorers that night. If memory serves, we won 2-1.
Old 22-05-2017, 05:06 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAssassin View Post
One lesser game but an enjoyable one - Palace 4 - 1 Portsmouth with Vaughan's hat-trick, not in my top 3 but definitely up there.
Apart from the bucketing rain!