Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 17-04-2017, 11:29 AM
For ancient football

Granada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betray
Whatever Happened to Billy Shears?

My follow-up to Rattles & Rosettes, Whatever Happened to Billy Shears? is published on Thursday (20 April). As many of you will know from the Rattles & Rosettes thread, in 2014 I sent a draft copy of R&R to James Mitchell, whom I had never met, for an objective review. He failed to read it until the actual book came out. He then devoured it in a day and published a review that resulted in literally hundreds of sales, for which I am very grateful.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

I have taken a similar approach and asked for volunteers, unknown to me personally, to read Whatever Happened to Billy Shears? and offer a review on this thread. The first of these is in the next post, from the legend that is Hy Money. I have never met our favourite sports snapper in all these years but look forward to doing so. Other reviews, from BBS members, will follow in due course.

I have yet to hear whether the Palace club shop will stock the book. It is available from Amazon, however, and can be ordered from most good bookshops from Thursday.

The story
Whatever Happened to Billy Shears? picks up where the Beatles left the characters on Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. We discover Billy, Lucy, Mr Kite, the Hendersons, Lovely Rita, even Henry the (rocking) horse, lived in the same South Croydon street in 1967 and the songs on Pepper hint at what happened next, if only we had taken more notice.

Canon William ‘Shears’ Shearwater, is now a 60-something Anglican chaplain and Palace fan, who doesn’t subscribe to the well-worn myth about the 60s. He was there and remembers them all too well, in particular the lovely Lucy Pitcher who turned his quiet suburban world upside down with one handstand. As he secretly confesses all to his computer, English teacher Sophie Daggert is documenting her slow recovery from bereavement. Adopted at birth, she embarks on a search for her natural parents. A series of twists and turns bring Sophie and Shears together in a shocking journey of self-discovery – with a little help from a few friends.
Whatever Happened to Billy Shears? is my follow up to Rattles and Rosettes. Reviews of Rattles and Rosettes here and Whatever Happened to Billy Shears? here. Signed copies for both now available for £9.50 (inc p&p) Email:mail@rattlesandrosettes.com
Old 17-04-2017, 11:30 AM
For ancient football

Granada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betrayGranada allover is like ice, their footing does betray
‘I thought Steve Goddard’s Rattles and Rosettes could not be bettered but I loved Whatever Happened to Billy Shears? as much – and perhaps just a bit more. I remember the 60s so well and it was good to recall a decade of liberation when the Beatles provided the soundtrack, England won the World Cup and the Summer of Love intoxicated us all. If you enjoyed the sharp wit of Rattles and Rosettes it is reprised here as Billy, Lucy, Mr Kite and the rest weave their way through a tale with more twists and turns than a scenic railway. Although the book recalls the 60s, we also discover Palace fan William Shearwater in 2016, fighting corruption and exploitation in football. But Billy is wrestling with his own internal demons and ends up disgracing himself at Wembley after Palace’s FA Cup Final defeat to Manchester United. Read the book because you really will want to know what eventually befalls our hero.’

Hy Money
Whatever Happened to Billy Shears? is my follow up to Rattles and Rosettes. Reviews of Rattles and Rosettes here and Whatever Happened to Billy Shears? here. Signed copies for both now available for £9.50 (inc p&p) Email:mail@rattlesandrosettes.com
Old 17-04-2017, 11:32 AM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
A splendid time is guaranteed for all.
Old 17-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Its got Beatles stuff in it.. .. . ..
Old 17-04-2017, 12:56 PM
For ancient football

Ah, Macca-hating Maidstoned's back - so I can depend on a bumped thread. Knowing your penchant for things 70s, ME, I've included a female bishop in the story. I quote from 'Whatever Happened...':

In her mid-fifties, articulate and culturally engaged, Maureen is the first woman to be appointed to high office in our diocese. Many years ago she was lead singer in a punk band called The Sound of Mucus. Needless to say, on the day of her recent appointment, the media dug out her old publicity photos. Decked out in standard grey clerical attire, it’s hard to believe Maureen ever sported a safety pin through her nose and rocked up with a scarlet mohican, ballet tutu and black Doc Martens.

She isn’t a football fan, so I am surprised she has asked me to take her to a match. Intriguingly, she doesn’t want to sit in the directors’ box, though I could arrange that with the owners of Crystal Palace. She wants to be with the ‘ordinary punters’. I explained that the people who bought the club in 2010 are ordinary punters with money, but I know what she means. I have suggested attending an away match where we’ll 'sit' with the hardcore, raucous Holmesdale Fanatics. The atmosphere will be energetic, ill-disciplined and hostile. People will leap about mindlessly. She will be overcome by nostalgia.
Old 17-04-2017, 01:02 PM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here
He did too much whizz and lost the plot ?
Old 17-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Banned by Moderators

Big Al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Billy Shears (Billy Shepherd)joined the Beatles in 1966 as a lookalike for Paul McCartney after he died in a car crash.

Fact.

Last edited by Big Al; 17-04-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 17-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Billy Shears (Billy Shepherd)joined the Beatles in 1966 as a lookalike for Paul McCartney after he died in a car crash.

Fact.
If only.........
Old 17-04-2017, 11:17 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
If only.........
Is it the Beatles you don't like, ME, or just Macca?

Old 18-04-2017, 04:02 PM
For ancient football

I'm booked in with BBC Radio Oxford to do two interviews on publication day of Whatever Happened to Billy Shears? – Thu 20 April, 3-3.30pm. If you are interested in listening:

Last edited by Granada allover; 18-04-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 18-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Is it the Beatles you don't like, ME, or just Macca?

Beatles overrated, Mctwatney is a shite.
Old 18-04-2017, 09:30 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
If only.........
You need to etc.
Old 19-04-2017, 10:22 AM
For ancient football

Small point but important: if you are thinking of buying the Kindle version hold off for now. The publishers will be reducing the cost from £7.19 to £2.99, I'm relieved to say.

Last edited by Granada allover; 24-04-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 19-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada allover View Post
Small point but important: if you are thinking of buying the Kindle version hold off for now. The publishers will be reducing the cost from £7.19 (crazy) to £2.99, I'm relieved to say.
Can I have my Kindle version signed?
Old 19-04-2017, 10:45 AM

Sakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Small point but important: if you are thinking of buying the Kindle version hold off for now. The publishers will be reducing the cost from £7.19 (crazy) to £2.99, I'm relieved to say.
Appreciated - will get the Kindle version and will wait for the reduction. I really liked Rattles and Rosettes!
Old 21-04-2017, 11:49 AM
For ancient football

News item about the book on Eagles Beak:

I am also relieved to announce the Kindle version is now available at £2.99.
All that work and it's yours for less that the price of a Vanilla Spice Latte at Starbucks
Old 23-04-2017, 11:48 AM
...well, I was in '99...

Andy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I volunteered to review the book, having already read the previous novel. I'm pleased to say that I enjoyed this new offering from Steve as much as I enjoyed Rattles & Rosettes...

My mother always used to tell me “be sure that your sins will find you out”.

That old adage could be a perfect one-line summary of Whatever Happened to Billy Shears. The two main protagonists of the novel are both suffering from grief and guilty secrets in different measure, and these unhappy circumstances contrive to throw them together in a series of events which spiral them towards a shocking conclusion.

The story swings between the heady Summer of Love and the (very) recent future, viewed through the lens of pop culture and football. The author has a fine eye for the detail of both periods, which gives the narrative a real feeling of authenticity. There’s more than a few nods to Messrs Lennon & McCartney buried throughout the text, and part of the enjoyment for me was picking out the odd references that crop up.

Like all good stories of personal downfall and despair, there is a satisfying denouement to the tale, but there are more than enough plot twists and turns to keep you wondering “wiil they, won’t they” right up to the last page.

This is the sort of book that engages the reader early on, and then makes you say “I’ll read just one more page for the moment...” time and time again.
Old 27-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Interesting to see that there was a bit on the book in the Epsom Guardian today

Nice picture of you, Steve, and the book cover and a bit of blurb about the story.
Old 27-04-2017, 10:23 PM
For ancient football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillo View Post
Interesting to see that there was a bit on the book in the Epsom Guardian today

Nice picture of you, Steve, and the book cover and a bit of blurb about the story.
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't seen that. Any chance of keeping a copy for me?
Old 27-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't seen that. Any chance of keeping a copy for me?
Of course. I imagine it will be in all the local Guardian group of newspapers around South London.