Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:00 PM

Palace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I need a bike (but I need advice more)

I've just had an operation on my knee and have been told that by my consultant that I should be sticking to cycling and swimming as my exercise from now on. Neither are particularly my favourite pastimes but I think I have to accept my footballing days are over. This latest op makes it 8 in 8 years so I reckon it's time to listen.

Whilst I'm a rubbish swimmer, I can use the pool at my local gym so I'm not too concerned about that. The issue I have is that I don't own a bike, I never have and I have minimal knowledge as to the type of bike I should get, what is good and what is bad. That's where I'm hoping you guys will come in!

I've done a bit of research and have come to the conclusion that a hybrid or a hardtail would probably be the most suitable for me. The majority of my cycling will be road based but I'd like to have the option to go off-road as well.

Is there any recommendations on a particular bike that I should be looking at. My budget is relatively low at about 300 but I have health insurance with Vitality and one of their benefits is 50% off bikes at Evans Cycles so that should help me get something sufficient for a novice like me.

All advice is gratefully received.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Ask on the scummers thread, you'll get all the help you need.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:22 PM

adman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I got a Specialized Sirrus which is a hybrid bike both road and off road if you wish think it was about 350 IIRC got bike but the wheel rims were shite.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Yearning for Buckeye Road

Mad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMad Max : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Consider an electric bike so if your knee starts to hurt you can let the battery take the strain.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:51 PM
BBS Bicycle Guru

spunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
What kind of cycling are you planning on doing, that's the biggest and most important question, there Re 3 main kinds of bike (and many many sub categories)

mountain bikes (for off road, up it won't limit you as to where it can be used)

Hybrids (for a mix of road and off road)

Road bikes (for road, duh)

Once you've narrowed down your choice to one or 2 of these the best thing to do is go a d hunt round some bike shops to see if there is anything that takes your fancy.

For around 300 if you can find something that's an old model you get much better value for money as it's getting to be a struggle to make something good to sell for 300

This might be a very good versatile option for you

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Follow me on Twitter -@wally_cycles
@DuncanInglis

Quote:
Someone who bought their bike from Halfords telling Spunky his advice on bike repairs is crap!

Priceless :)
Old 10-05-2017, 07:51 PM
BBS Bicycle Guru

spunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Consider an electric bike so if your knee starts to hurt you can let the battery take the strain.
No chance for 300 unfortunately

Follow me on Twitter -@wally_cycles
@DuncanInglis

Quote:
Someone who bought their bike from Halfords telling Spunky his advice on bike repairs is crap!

Priceless :)
Old 11-05-2017, 08:41 AM

Palace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky View Post
What kind of cycling are you planning on doing, that's the biggest and most important question, there Re 3 main kinds of bike (and many many sub categories) mountain bikes (for off road, up it won't limit you as to where it can be used) Hybrids (for a mix of road and off road) Road bikes (for road, duh) Once you've narrowed down your choice to one or 2 of these the best thing to do is go a d hunt round some bike shops to see if there is anything that takes your fancy. For around 300 if you can find something that's an old model you get much better value for money as it's getting to be a struggle to make something good to sell for 300 This might be a very good versatile option for you To view the link you have to Register or Login
I don't really know what I'll be doing most of but I'd like to think I will ride to work on occasions so would imagine the majority of my cycling will be on road. However, getting a road bike would obviously limit me to just that. There's quite a few trails around my way and I have a couple of friends who are in to that so I'll probably join them every now and again.

I suppose the question is whether to go for a hybrid or a hardtail mountain bike. Hybrid's were obviously designed for comfort on and off-road where as mb's are primarily for the latter but I'm not really planning on doing any massively long rides. I generally prefer the look of a mountain bike over a hybrid but if I do end up using the bike mostly for my commute (which is 7 miles), would getting an MB be an error or are they ok for relatively short road rides?

Bear in mind that I can get a bike at Evans Cycles for 600 as with my discount, that's within my budget. I could potentially stretch slightly further really don't want to go much over.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:47 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
I have a barely used hardtail (like three times ever) which I purchased from spunky some years back, that I could probably be pursuaded to part with.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:09 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
A CX bike, like the one spunky suggested, would be a good option.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact a Family charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And donate here https://www.justgiving.com/CyclingtheSeason

or by texting CPFC16 5 (or whatever amount) to 70070 to donate to Contact a Family and make a difference today
Old 11-05-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
A CX bike, like the one spunky suggested, would be a good option.
What's a CX bike?
Old 11-05-2017, 09:31 AM

Bizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
A little more than your budget, I've got a specialized crosstrail hybrid bike with front suspension. Costs about 400 but is an excellent bike for the money.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palace121 View Post
What's a CX bike?
It's like a road bike adapted to trails and off road, short for cyclocross.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:46 AM

Like this? Would cost me 210 (after I find an old crappy bike to trade it) so well within budget.

I'm quite tempted by this. Decent reviews.

Last edited by Palace121; 11-05-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
It's like a road bike adapted to trails and off road, short for cyclocross.
Oh ok. Thanks. So is that a better option than a hybrid?
Old 11-05-2017, 10:24 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Depends what you're after really. My bike is pretty similar, but with flat bars, and I use it every day, and have also used it for touring holidays in northern Spain, up and down mountains, along paths, doing about 100 km a day carrying luggage. They're everything bikes, really. Though mine's a bit upmarket of that one on components.
You won't be doing high level mountain biking on one because the geometry doesn't really work for that, but you'll handle paths and trails beautifully.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Middle class left.

The guy you need to listen to on here is spunky.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:26 AM

Ridcully has disabled reputation
Hardtail MTB and Hybrids I think are probably your best shout for the cash. If you are predominantly roading then the stiffer the better as you will only add weight with shocks etc.

Its a lot about tyres for road so the hybrids would be a good bet here. At that sort of price range the Carreras from Halfords are a good shout. My eldest boy has a crossfire 3 which is a great starter bike, my better half has the Subway which is stiffer and very good value.

Go for as light as your budget allows you. Halfords also do 20% off sales regularly so its worth watching the website. I have a Boardman MX Comp which is basically the straight handlebar version of the CX but a bit out of your price range unless you go second hand.

You won't beat the service you can get from a local bike shop tho but for entry I would say the Halfords mid-range bikes are great.

Its pretty addictive tho....soon you'll want to splash a grand+ on a carbon road bike
Old 11-05-2017, 10:28 AM

And agree, listen to Spunky. Although he is a bit anti-Halfords

Understandably of course.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palace121 View Post

Like this? Would cost me 210 (after I find an old crappy bike to trade it) so well within budget.

I'm quite tempted by this. Decent reviews.
Thats 550 tho. Looks a decentish spec.

Similar to my Boardman MX
Old 11-05-2017, 10:33 AM

I'd thoroughly recommend hydraulic disks if you can stretch to them. Just got them on my new roadie too