Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 05-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Arse end of Nottingham.

henryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is here
Record Shops

Having read an article about Harum Records in Crouch End (my childhood and teenage years way of spending all my money), it made me realise that I've not actually been into a record shop for the best part of fifteen or so years. I love music and have got a huge vinyl and CD collection - most of it under secure 'house arrest' in the loft with no date for release by gaoler wife, but the majority was either bought years ago or via the Net.

Just wondered what people's memories of buying their music in record shops are, or maybe you still do? For me, going into a record shop - particularly in the '70s - was always an exciting event. The smell of fresh vinyl, the old heads hanging around the counter asking to 'road test' albums they were never going to buy, the singles bargain bin on top of the counter, the Top 50 singles chart poster taped on the door, the artwork on the sleeves, coloured vinyl, picture discs..the list goes on. Do you have the same nostalgic feelings for record shops as I do?
Old 05-06-2017, 03:51 PM

Coastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I used to love record shops in my youth. There was a good one in Thornton Heath high street and one in Portland Road. And a good one in Croydon opposite Grants.

I got sucked into the CD culture but some years ago I treated myself to a decent turntable, amp and speakers.
You can't beat vinyl.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:15 PM

JimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Started in the 90s as a student in London. As To view the link you have to Register or Login says, there were some great record shops in Soho. Can't remember the name of it, but my favourite was a higgledy-piggledy one on 5 or so mezzanine floors, that looked like it had been there for decades. Regularly picked up good quality 2nd-hand vinyl for 2.50 or so - got most of my Bowie albums there. Wish I knew what that shop was called....

Edit: in the days before eBay & Co,looking for records at charity shops and car boot sales used to be 'fun'. But for every decent album, you'd have to sort through stacks of Cilla Black LPs :-/

Last edited by JimmyAG; 05-06-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:30 PM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNinjas Headband came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Was in a record shop on Saturday. No shop will ever beat Beanos though.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:45 PM

Nigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Was into all facets of dance music when i was younger and a lot of my time, and money, was spent in various record shops - Wax City and Apple in Croydon, Blackmarket in Soho and Remix (I tjink) in Camden.

We could literally be in Wax for a whole Saturday morning listening to new tunes, buying rave tickets, gossiping and catching up with other friends and acquaintances who would pop in and out. Happy times!
Old 05-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Harry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Love record shops always manage to find them even when on holiday in places like Lisbon, Nice ,Augsburg,Hanover etc. Local HMV sell a few.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:53 PM

JimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Bassett View Post
Love record shops always manage to find them even when on holiday in places like Lisbon, Nice ,Augsburg,Hanover etc. Local HMV sell a few.
Must have been 25music...
Old 05-06-2017, 05:58 PM

Nigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Best buzz for us was when you managed to get your hands on the 7 inch test press, or a white label, of a track you'd heard being played at a club the week before.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Bought records in New Addington but that was from a shop which mostly sold TVs and stuff so the first real record shop for me would have been H&R Cloake in St George's Walk Croydon. Counter was at the back and listening booths were on the left - you chose the record you wanted to check out and would listen to it in one of the booths. If I remember correctly it relocated to the High Street in 1969. There was much more space (did they have a bargain basement for albums?).

That's the St George's Walk shop:

Another record shop I remember from the 1960s was Dobells in Charing Cross Road. I bought Blue Beat records from them - the first, a Prince Buster album I still have and play. Carried on buying records from them - mostly blues until they closed in 1992 after moving to other locations nearby.

This is the branch in Charing Cross Road:

Then there was the wonderful Bonaparte at East Croydon. The sort of shop which inspired you to buy stuff from bands you'd never heard of. Dancing Did? We sure did. How soon after it closed did Beanos open?

Still drop into Rat Records in Camberwell. Even just going through racks of 2nd hand albums brings back get memories. And you can't beat listening to vinyl ...
Old 05-06-2017, 06:05 PM
Arse end of Nottingham.

henryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjas Headband View Post
Was in a record shop on Saturday. No shop will ever beat Beanos though.
Yes, Beanos was fantastic.

When I was living in Camberwell I used to drive out to Croydon solely to visit Beanos' shop in Surrey Street. No internet in those days. No eBay etc.. If you wanted a deleted single, rare copy of something, it was ringing up record shops to ask if they'd got what you wanted, and usually they hadn't, unless it was Beanos.

There was a bloke behind the singles counter on the top floor - Ray, I think his name was. Seemed ancient to me then in about 1987, but probably he was younger than I am now. He was like a walking encyclopaedia of matrix numbers. You almost felt you were not worthy to approach him and ask him anything, 7" sage of vinyl that he was - particularly when you were asking for something like Groovin' With Mr. Bloe by Mr. Bloe. He assessed you, rated you as a musical heathen, grabbed a box of the '2.99s' and produced said disc, just like that.

It seemed like they had every record there ever was, is or would be in the future. You could spend hours there and I probably did. Then, the WWW reared its ugly head and places like Beanos were finished. No longer did you have to drive miles for your Mr. Bloe, walk up a challenging flight of stairs and nervously approach Ray, you just sat on your backside at home and clicked 'buy now' or 'download'. They just couldn't compete with either the choice or the undercutting element the internet brought with it. Soon after the internet took hold of music shopping, Beanos was gone and I still miss it to this day.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Dog Rough

SJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is here
Used to go to Bluebird Records in Paddington Green back in the day used to love that store. Also Unity Records on Beak Street, City Sounds in Procter Street, Blackmarket Records, Crazy Beat in Upminster and Beggars Banquet in Kingston.

When I first went to New York they had countless brilliant record stores. Dance Tracks, Eight Ball, Dope Jamz, Disc-o-Rama (wall to wall vinyl downstairs), Satellite, Rock and Soul and the irreplaceable Vinylmania on Carmine Street

THE FIST BUMPERS

Last edited by SJ'sLoveMonkey; 05-06-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:08 PM

Wow, incredible how many record shops there have been in Soho:

Old 05-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Arse end of Nottingham.

Amazing map.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:35 PM
. . . . .- --. .-.. . ...

regal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is here
Hot Rocks at the top of Sutton High St.

Great shop and a really good mate worked there. Us Croydon 'Rose & Crown' metallers loved you big guy. Rest In Peace Matt.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:12 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyAG View Post
Started in the 90s as a student in London. As To view the link you have to Register or Login says, there were some great record shops in Soho. Can't remember the name of it, but my favourite was a higgledy-piggledy one on 5 or so mezzanine floors, that looked like it had been there for decades. Regularly picked up good quality 2nd-hand vinyl for 2.50 or so - got most of my Bowie albums there. Wish I knew what that shop was called....
Reckless?

Or Revival as it was also known.

Last edited by Blind_Eagle; 05-06-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post
Reckless?

Or Revival as it was also known.
Hmm. Not sure. Think it must have moved, or shut down, around '96/'97.
Vaguely remember lots small rooms on various levels, quite chaotic to find stuff.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:01 PM

palacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Used to go to a few but remember bluebird records in bromley high street and in my later days when i was a delivery driver buds country music store in penge the smell of the records when you walked in that place was immense

Here is a great site for looking up loads of old record shops To view the link you have to Register or Login

Last edited by palacelad197o; 05-06-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:04 PM

Eaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Bluebird records in bromley was good.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:09 PM

palacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Old 22-10-2017, 07:34 AM

Eastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Was a great independent record shop at the end of South Norwood high street back in the seventies near the clock tower. Can't for the life of me remember it's name!