Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 25-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 View Post
Blimey, a quick Google search shows they're still trading.
Mentioned in this write up:

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 25-10-2017, 08:32 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Boy View Post
Was a great independent record shop at the end of South Norwood high street back in the seventies near the clock tower. Can't for the life of me remember it's name!
Do you mean Sounds Good? Think it lasted well into the 90s if not longer
Old 25-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Great thread!

I've always loved going into record shops, particularly in the 80s. Beanos was always a must-visit whenever I was in Croydon, but wherever I was I tried to find the local record shop. I still do the same now albeit much less likely to a) find one; and b) if I do, find anything that I haven't got. My first check stop is always Y for Yazoo, then D for Depeche Mode, then H for Human League and Heaven 17.

I started properly getting into music in about 1982, and once I got into a band that had been around for a while it was always great flicking through the vinyl to see if there was something I didn't have. That excitement of finding a 12" single that - pre internet - you didn't know about was fantastic.

But the bigger shops had their worth too. The Virgin shop that used to be in Croydon High St (the one nearer West Croydon Station, not the one up near Allders) once got something for me that was only available on import. Yazoo in the US were called Yaz due to a copyright issue, and over there they released a 12" single of Situation (up to that point, in the UK it was only the b-side of Only You). I went into Virgin to see if they could get it imported, and the lady said she'd try for me. A couple of weeks later she phoned me up and said they'd managed to get it. I rushed there from home straight away - I was so thrilled to get hold of it, and she was really pleased too. She laughed as she said "Yep, we can get anything!"

As kids we used to go on holiday to Broadstairs, and would always pop into Canterbury for a day. There was a place there called Richard's Records, and I used to find some great stuff in there. The only pain in the arse was not having a turntable at the holiday house, so had to wait to get back home to play them.

I rue the demise of the record shops big time. But I also think that apart from the second hand stuff, these days the new vinyl that comes out always seems to be "audiophile", two-inch thick format costing about $30.
Old 26-10-2017, 09:37 PM

Oldtown Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOldtown Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOldtown Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOldtown Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOldtown Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOldtown Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOldtown Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOldtown Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOldtown Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOldtown Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOldtown Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Going back a bit, but does anyone remember Record Rendezvous I Stafford Road, Wallngton? Bought my first single there - Telstar by The Tornados.
Old 26-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Dog Rough

SJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is here
Dancetracks
Vinyl mania
Eight Ball
Rock and Soul
Disc-o-rama

New York had some fantastic record stores

THE FIST BUMPERS
Old 27-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Wht was the one on Clockhouse Bridge just past Churchfields Road?
Old 06-11-2017, 04:27 PM

Raggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Bexhill has a great record shop that is very much going now - Music's not Dead.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:52 PM

Harry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post

I rue the demise of the record shops big time. But I also think that apart from the second hand stuff, these days the new vinyl that comes out always seems to be "audiophile", two-inch thick format costing about $30.
Very pleased to see a vinyl revival but sadly not the same quality pressings of yesteryear.

Two inch vinyl....that must be a bugger to line up your tonearm
Old 06-11-2017, 05:02 PM

dave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Regular teenage haunts was Treble Clef in Sydenham and Our Price in the Lewisham precinct....along with monthly trips to Bluebird records in Paddington for Jazz Funk imports.

When I worked in Croydon I could always be found in Beanos during my lunch breaks.
Was racking my brains on the shop in Sydenham and found this great link and site:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

I remember the former shop The Record Forum better as I moved away from Sydenham in the mid 70s. My mum used to work at the Granada Cinema just down the road from there and I would get her to buy the new releases in the 60s after she did Saturday morning pictures. I seem to recall new releases came out on a Friday.

When I first worked in town I used to visit the Virgin shop which was above a shoe shop in Oxford Street near Tottenham Court Road tube. You had to walk through the shos shop to the back and climb the stairs. They had some aircraft seats to sit and listen to records and sold bootlegs from under the counter.

Currently I use Cashbah Records in Creek Road, Greenwich as they sell excellent quality second hand records as well.

LFC fansite

Last edited by dave_who_ru; 06-11-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:39 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post

When I first worked in town I used to visit the Virgin shop which was above a shoe shop in Oxford Street near Tottenham Court Road tube. You had to walk through the shore shop to the back and climb the stairs. They had some aircraft seats to sit and listen to records and sold bootlegs from under the counter.
Amazing shop at the time. I worked in Rathbone Street from October 1970 and remember how different the Virgin shop was to anything seen before.

(Weird going through that shoe shop.)
Old 06-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Vikings No 6

Big Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
There used to be a great stall on Wardour Street market that I used to get some rare old soul records from
Old 07-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Pass me the Vongole

Don-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
My two favourites were
Contempo Records - Hanway Street, London
Diamond Records - West Croydon
Old 07-11-2017, 02:11 PM

Nigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by macstar View Post
i just used to like skiving school and going up to Oxford street HMV, looking through the thousands of mainly dance CDs on offer and regularly buying hundreds of pounds worth (when i got my first job).

Also of course Beanos. Not into vinyl when i was younger which iam gutted about.
HMV Oxford Street used to have some amazing finds in there, amongst an awful lot of absolute shite.

I bought the 12" DJ Hype drum and bass remix of Fugees "ready or not" in there shortly after Sony forced it into being deleted. Probably cost me 4, now selling on H2FR for about 200!
Old 07-11-2017, 02:26 PM

Jimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimmy Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
My local now is Flashback Records in Crouch End although Beanos was always my go to haunt when I was younger. Good times!