Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 30-06-2017, 12:10 PM

SilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is here
Unimportant Cup Competitions

With the Asia Trophy coming up, I was wondering how many strange cup competitions/friendlies we have entered over the years.

One that stands out was the Philips Cup in 2003 against PSV.

Anyone have any recollections of any other unimportant cup competitions through the years?
Old 30-06-2017, 12:34 PM
Watching Paint Dry

WorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is here
I think we've played in all of these minor competitions:

Southern Professional Floodlit Cup
Anglo-Italian Cup
Texaco Cup
Football League Group Cup
Mercantile Credit Centenary Festival
Third Division South Cup
Full Members Cup (Zenith Data Systems etc.)

But sadly never qualified for or accepted invites to such greats as:

Debenhams Cup
Watney Cup
Anglo-Scottish Cup
Anglo-Franco-Scottish Friendship Cup
Anglo-Italian League Cup
Mercantile Credit Centenary Trophy
Football League Supercup

Last edited by WorthingEagle; 30-06-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 30-06-2017, 03:13 PM

SilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is here
Nice one WE. Just looked a few of them up. Cheers for the info.

Never knew about the Texaco Cup, Football League Group cup or the Southern Professional Floodlit Cup.

I guess the Surrey Cup should get an honourable mention too.
Old 30-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Don't forget the Intertoto Cup, our one and only time in a UEFA Competition
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 30-06-2017, 03:22 PM
ACII

Oddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Am I going bonkers or did there used to be a 6-a-side tournament played at the G-Mex in Manchester? did we ever play in that?
Old 30-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
I remember as a young kid thinking that the Umbro Cup and Le Tournoi were prestigious events, and being really excited when England did well in them
Old 30-06-2017, 03:34 PM
Watching Paint Dry

WorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
Don't forget the Intertoto Cup, our one and only time in a UEFA Competition
I classified that as 'major', that's up for debate I suppose!
Old 30-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Scarfer army

GeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
Am I going bonkers or did there used to be a 6-a-side tournament played at the G-Mex in Manchester? did we ever play in that?
The Guinness Soccer Sixes. I think we may have taken part in 1990.
Old 30-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Watching Paint Dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post
Looks like we lost both our games...

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 30-06-2017, 04:30 PM

Hal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post
There was also a London 6-a-side in the 1970s Televised, I think. Have a picture in my mind of John Sewell panting away
Old 06-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down low
There were London 6-a-sides around 1993-95. The weird thing was that despite it being a London tournament and all London teams were present no London side ever won it - Wycombe and Watford split the trophy wins IIRC
The One More Point book is underway....and only 12 years late. This will be a book about not just One More Point but a look at all fanzines and their impact. It will look at what it was like being a Palace fan and football fan back in the 80s/90s. If you have comments, memories or just to remind me some (most likely drunken) incident back in the day then please PM me. And if you can think of a decent title then please step right up!
Old 06-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down low
We were in a four team tournament in summer 1990. Palace, Sampdoria, Fiorentina and one other Serie A team.

Lost 2-1 to Fiorentina and then beat Sampdoria on penalties to claim 3rd place.

Always remember Capital Radio the next day describing the game as one of Palace's 'most famous wins'

WTF!? We won a FRIENDLY on penalties and that was one of our most famous wins!!?? (Christ, we were barely 100 days past beating Liverpool 4-3 not quite sure this was in the same class as that!!)
The One More Point book is underway....and only 12 years late. This will be a book about not just One More Point but a look at all fanzines and their impact. It will look at what it was like being a Palace fan and football fan back in the 80s/90s. If you have comments, memories or just to remind me some (most likely drunken) incident back in the day then please PM me. And if you can think of a decent title then please step right up!
Old 07-07-2017, 05:58 AM

jjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Evening Standard 5-a-side? Didn't we win it 1969?
Old 07-07-2017, 06:07 AM
Green man

OldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeagle View Post
Evening Standard 5-a-side? Didn't we win it 1969?
Some stuff on it here:

Old 07-07-2017, 06:12 AM

jjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPeanutSeller View Post
Some stuff on it here:

Thank you.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:39 PM
Fading into memory.

E.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Recall us taking part in a pre season tournament circa mid 70s alongside Charlton, Millwall and Gillingham. Was played on a group basis (I think) and was called something along the lines of The Kent Challenge Cup/Trophy?
Where I can't be seen, I don't wanna be free
Old 11-07-2017, 08:53 PM

ian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.X Moontoad View Post
Recall us taking part in a pre season tournament circa mid 70s alongside Charlton, Millwall and Gillingham. Was played on a group basis (I think) and was called something along the lines of The Kent Challenge Cup/Trophy?
Kent Cup played August 1975.
Lost at home to Charlton 0-1 then drew away at Gillingham and Millwall, both 1-1 draws. Did not qualify for further progress.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:26 AM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
We entered Quiz Ball one year and did quite well. Similar to Quesion of Sport. Remember vaguely Gerry Queen and Jacko being pretty good. I was at the age where I was absolutely gutted when we got beaten. My father just laughed and told me that Gerry Queen had told him a month previously that they had lost.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:25 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad John View Post
We entered Quiz Ball one year and did quite well. Similar to Quesion of Sport. Remember vaguely Gerry Queen and Jacko being pretty good. I was at the age where I was absolutely gutted when we got beaten. My father just laughed and told me that Gerry Queen had told him a month previously that they had lost.
Route One David..... I think it was David Vine...... There were four routes to goal:
4 easy questions,
3 medium questions,
2 difficult questions
and 1 hard question.
You could be tackled if you took the easy route the other team were allowed to buzz in usually on the last question.
The team the other two I am struggling with, and one might of been a guest not a player. Anyway as you were was gutted we lost even more so I think we were robbed , it was a question on name a spacecraft they wanted something like Apollo 11 we gave the name it was known as when flying Columbia....sure the FA fixed it.
I dont recall who we lost too either....might of been Arsenal
Old 12-07-2017, 05:44 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad John View Post
Your getting old......

You posted this in 2005....

Don't know if you've already dug this up Ian but here goes.

Quiz Ball refereed by David Vine (later Stuart Hall)

After winning the opening kick off question the player chose a route to goal and answered the questions. The opposing team had one chance to tackle the player going to goal by pressing a buzzer prior to the player answering their last question.If they get it right they've won possession but if it was wrong the challenge was unsuccessful and a goal is scored. The route one question was not subject to a tackle.

Quiz ball started in 66-67 and finished in 71-72. Their was no series in 68-69 and two in 70.

66-67 Palace never entered. Arsenal beat Dumferline 7-3 in final. Two of our most lovable ex- managers Mullery and Vegtables represented Spurs.

67-68 No Palace entry. Gerry Queen played for Kilmarnock and Willie Wallace Celtic. Alan Leather ( did he become our secretary ??? ) was on the Coventry team , he was their secretary. West Brom beat Forest 2-1 in final.

69-70. lost in the first round 2-1 to West Brom. Queen scoring for us and Osborne getting two for W.B.A.
Palace team. Jackson - Queen - Pinkney- and guest Alfie Bass.
Celtic and Hearts competed for final.

1970 no Palace entry. Celtic beat Everton in final. Charlie Cooke in Chelsea team.

1970-71 Palace beat Blackpool 3-2 in first round. team Bert Head - Jacko- Queen- guest Richard Wattis.

semi final we beat Leeds after extra time. team John Sewell replaced Bert Head.
final . lost to Derby 2-4 team John Sewell - John McCormick - John Jackson and Richard Wattis.

71-72 no palace entry. Dumferline won, and big Roger Hynd competed for Birmingham City.

I can only say by 1970/71 I had discovered girls and beer because I have no recollection of making the Final but digging around Google Richard Wattis scored both our goals in the final.

I found this from 2008 on a Derby Site.......To view the link you have to Register or Login

Seems most of the tapes were wiped but to give you youngsters you a clue there is this on YouTube To view the link you have to Register or Login

This was must see TV back in the days To view the link you have to Register or Login

Last edited by N Herts Eagle; 12-07-2017 at 06:21 AM.