Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 10-11-2017, 09:35 AM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
I did the Everton away midweek game that never was, a few years ago. The journey up was absolutely fine, then as we joined the M6 north of Birmingham it was gridlock.

Unlike a lot of Palace who turned around at Stafford and gave up, I decided to drive across country toward Chester... We literally had to turnaround on some roads as big trees were coming down and blocking roads. I remember going down one particular country road that appeared more like driving through someone's farm.

I was driving far too fast in terrible conditions, but the want of going to the game was so strong. We kept our ears on the radio and my mate was on Twitter, and we were fully expecting news to come through of postponement. But the further into the journey we got, we sort of thought that 'well they can't cancel it now...'

Just as we got outside Chester to join the A55, around 7pm I think, the news of course came through that the game had been called off. We turned back and other than stopping for petrol once, I drove the entire way without a break. I think it was 12 hours in all, and it was all for nothing
Old 10-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
I think the many shit games you see when you're expecting to lose aren't too disappointing in the main. You kind of to to twenty god awful away matches just to make it more special when you see the one or two we'd win for the whole season.

It's when the team actually gets good, and there's a level of expectation attached that it sticks in the craw. The season we finished third, the losses at Villa and Old Trafford were disappointing in this context. We just didn't show up.

Hull away to just miss out on the playoffs was similarly disappointing.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:47 PM

Se9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
I did the Everton away midweek game that never was, a few years ago. The journey up was absolutely fine, then as we joined the M6 north of Birmingham it was gridlock.

Unlike a lot of Palace who turned around at Stafford and gave up, I decided to drive across country toward Chester... We literally had to turnaround on some roads as big trees were coming down and blocking roads. I remember going down one particular country road that appeared more like driving through someone's farm.

I was driving far too fast in terrible conditions, but the want of going to the game was so strong. We kept our ears on the radio and my mate was on Twitter, and we were fully expecting news to come through of postponement. But the further into the journey we got, we sort of thought that 'well they can't cancel it now...'

Just as we got outside Chester to join the A55, around 7pm I think, the news of course came through that the game had been called off. We turned back and other than stopping for petrol once, I drove the entire way without a break. I think it was 12 hours in all, and it was all for nothing
Better than losing imo....
Old 10-11-2017, 08:50 PM
One Henry Hughton

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
I think the many shit games you see when you're expecting to lose aren't too disappointing in the main. You kind of to to twenty god awful away matches just to make it more special when you see the one or two we'd win for the whole season.

It's when the team actually gets good, and there's a level of expectation attached that it sticks in the craw. The season we finished third, the losses at Villa and Old Trafford were disappointing in this context. We just didn't show up.

Hull away to just miss out on the playoffs was similarly disappointing.
Hull away was a right laugh.Before and after.

Twinned with MK Dons
Old 11-11-2017, 02:53 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by laths View Post
Canít beat getting soaked on open terrace / seats
I remember one game away at Fratton Park - maybe around 2002-3? - when it absolutely pissed down on the uncovered seats
Old 11-11-2017, 11:59 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gav View Post
Plenty but a couple that stand out are a freezing midweek night in Hartlepool for a league cup tie in 1991. We played crap and I have never been so cold at a football match before but we managed a draw.
The other are Oxford away on a Boxing day when we couldn't get into the ground as it was too full so missed the match. Tried to jump over the walls like many others did but police and stewards stopped us.
Was at and got in to both games .
Old 11-11-2017, 12:01 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by old git View Post
Remember that.Must have been the mid-80's ?
Bit later I think , it was my football . After the game the radio reporter said it was more entertaining than the actual game.

Last edited by orp pisshead1; 11-11-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Hull away was a right laugh.Before and after.
and the journey home.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Tomato Sausage Muncher

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Not really a 'worst' game but Bolton away at the old Burnden Park probably about 1990. Literally hardly saw any football it was so foggy. I think the only reason we knew we'd scored was Bolton kicked off
Old 11-11-2017, 12:39 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrey Eagle View Post
Palace 0-4 Sunderland last season
That was a home game
Old 11-11-2017, 12:41 PM
One Henry Hughton

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
and the journey home.
Stops at Doncaster and Peterborough?

Twinned with MK Dons
Old 11-11-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Exactly!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Made in Bromley

monkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Not really a 'worst' game but Bolton away at the old Burnden Park probably about 1990. Literally hardly saw any football it was so foggy. I think the only reason we knew we'd scored was Bolton kicked off
I remember a foggy away trip to Sheffield United in the mid-80's, it was so bad we could hardly see the goal up our end let alone the other end,it ended 0-0 I think!!
Old 13-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Vikings No 6

Big Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Peterborough was a laugh that night
Old 14-11-2017, 07:07 AM
Pokemon Trainer

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Worst Away game... Hmmm. I remember going up to Barnsley on my birthday in 2001. That was grim! Long old drive, took us ages to park, cold, miserable, we got in the ground late to see us give away a penalty (which they missed!) and then lose 1-0 to a Shipperley header. We were ******* abject! Still we got our money back so not all bad.
Old 14-11-2017, 12:43 PM

Payney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post

Harsh