Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 31-07-2017, 07:04 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
In addition - if you look at the fans on the terraces they are virtually all in short sleeved shirts and in fact a few are shirtless. Again this implies an afternoon kick off unless we were blessed with a particularly intense late summer heatwave in whichever year it was.

The pitch looks in really good nick so I am ruling out the prospect of it being an end of season fixture.

Fascinating stuff though for an old fart like me.
Old 31-07-2017, 07:13 PM

Tom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen sane View Post
It was, I was at both games, the second leg was an evening game with probably less than 100 Palace there.

Both games were really grim though, was it 1-0 and 0-0?
Yes. We were awful back in those days, lucky to get through after a dreadful second leg. I think Peter Nicholas scored late on at Selhurst in the first leg?
Old 31-07-2017, 08:22 PM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
I'm 90 per cent convinced its Aylott, as a result of which I have broken out in hives. It doesn't look like an evening game to me, the light is too bright for some time after 7.45pm in late August.

I'm wondering if it might in fact be from early in the 1985/86 season, when Aylott was still on the books, but from a quick scan of the early fixtures that season there is no obvious candidate as the opponents except possibly Sunderland? Also, my memory may be failing me but I don't recall Aylott starting in the early games of that season?
The Northampton game was 3 o'clock kick off on Bank Holiday Monday; you can just about make out the time on this eBay link to the programme.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 31-07-2017, 08:51 PM

EmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I reckon it's Aylott. I was stood on that terrace. I remember Northampton had a giant centre back called Wakely Gage playing against us that day.
Old 31-07-2017, 08:55 PM

EmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Would love to see more if you have any more of this match
Old 31-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Tomato Sausage Muncher

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
The only certain way of knowing if that was indeed Mr Aylot would be if there was another picture taken 5 seconds after this one where the ball will have embedded itself in the head of the geezer scratching his bonce on the far left of the picture
Old 31-07-2017, 09:20 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
The only certain way of knowing if that was indeed Mr Aylot would be if there was another picture taken 5 seconds after this one where the ball will have embedded itself in the head of the geezer scratching his bonce on the far left of the picture
Old 01-08-2017, 04:37 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
I'm in that picture behind the goal!

Definitely 1984 - start of Coppell's reign. Think those saying Aylott against Northampton are right. Certainly very early season as all in short sleeves.

Please post more!

Last edited by bubbs11; 01-08-2017 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:27 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Eagle View Post
The Northampton game was 3 o'clock kick off on Bank Holiday Monday; you can just about make out the time on this eBay link to the programme.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Thanks, that's case solved then. I have no recollection of a league cup game 3pm bank holiday kick off during this era.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:27 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Sent the picture to my friend who used to take photos at most our games back then and has them all archived now, and confirmed that the game in question was a Milk Cup match against Northampton on Bank Holiday Monday 27th August 1984, we won 1-0.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:04 AM

Rasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Great detective work guys, it's the only shot I have from the game but I will post up a better scan of it later in the week. I do have a few shots from our home 1-3 defeat to Forest at the tail end of our Division One demise though taken from the Whitehorse..pre barricades that i'll put up also
Old 01-08-2017, 08:13 AM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed Harkouk View Post
Great detective work guys, it's the only shot I have from the game but I will post up a better scan of it later in the week. I do have a few shots from our home 1-3 defeat to Forest at the tail end of our Division One demise though taken from the Whitehorse..pre barricades that i'll put up also
Great Rash. Love all this stuff!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:48 AM

hilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom's Old Man View Post
Yes. We were awful back in those days, lucky to get through after a dreadful second leg. I think Peter Nicholas scored late on at Selhurst in the first leg?
The 0-0 away at Northampton was my first Palace match. My dad took me as a birthday treat, although he got us tickets in the home end. This was Coppell's first season wasn't it? . The second leg was really foggy too, so you couldn't actually see what was happening at the other end of the pitch. That old Northampton ground was really weird too, being 3 sided, with a rope separating it off from the cricket pitch on the other side.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Tomato Sausage Muncher

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Sent the picture to my friend who used to take photos at most our games back then and has them all archived now, and confirmed that the game in question was a Milk Cup match against Northampton on Bank Holiday Monday 27th August 1984, we won 1-0 with a goal from Aylott after beautifully controlling a cross field ball with his instep and firing in from a tight angle just inside the keepers right hand post
EFA
Old 01-08-2017, 12:43 PM
Shot by both sides

Sam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is here
Can't be Aylott if he's shooting.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:00 PM

Se9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Can't be Aylott if he's shooting.
Or Kevin Mabbutt who was at least 2 feet shorter.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilairehair View Post
The 0-0 away at Northampton was my first Palace match. My dad took me as a birthday treat, although he got us tickets in the home end. This was Coppell's first season wasn't it? . The second leg was really foggy too, so you couldn't actually see what was happening at the other end of the pitch. That old Northampton ground was really weird too, being 3 sided, with a rope separating it off from the cricket pitch on the other side.
Was Coppell's first season and this particular match was Steve's very first victory as a manager.

We went on to play Sunderland in the next round of the Milk Cup. Lost 2-1 away and drew 0-0 at home. The home leg was televisied for some reason for highlights on either Sportsnight or Midweek Sport Special. Remember being so excited seeing the cameras there on entering Selhurst. It really was a unique event back in those days.

Out of interest, Sunderland went on to make the final of the Milk Cup that year, losing to Norwich.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:20 PM

dowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is here
It's the wrong answer, but at first glance I thought that it was the back of Mike Elwiss. Too early though.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:34 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se9 eagles View Post
Or Kevin Mabbutt who was at least 2 feet shorter.
.....and wore the ten shirt.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:55 AM

...and had a halo above his head.