Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 03-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Asbo

Pubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
My Grandad hated Steve Thomson who I also thought was not that bad. Plus that goal at Leicester.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:04 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Giy behind us in the Lower Hol ******* hated Danny Granville, with a passion.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle View Post
Someone behind me in the Main Stand in the Dowie/Jordan era picked a new player to endlessly abuse each season - Tom Soares and Gary Borrowdale were two I remember, plus Ben Watson.
In fairness, Borrowdale was utterly useless. I found he got loads of slack because he was from the Academy, which is a good thing.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:14 PM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
I thought Matt Lawrence was never actually as bad as people made out.

He was fairly dreadful with the ball at his feet, but he could defend.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:15 PM
#Hadron Collider

in-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is here
Ron's Mum seems to get some stick most games.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:16 PM

Coastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The undisputed king of c**ts at Palace, player or manager is a manager.

Mullery.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Shot by both sides

Sam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is here
Julian Gray got dogs and didn't deserve it
Craig Harrison got dogs and did.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:20 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBilly Rhino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Funny really that people talk about hatred of players these days when they get a bit of criticism but back then it was a lot worse.

Pardew always stuck out in my mind as he was just such a poor player I used to give him abuse. Then one particularly poor game some fans in the Arthur started singing the Super Al song for a laugh and everyone joined in, then something odd happened, he started playing a lot better and getting stuck in. I think there's definitely a life lesson in there about being positive and supportive, but ****ed if I know what it is.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Shot by both sides

Sam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post
Familiar names above - remember well the abuse Sewell got because he declined to perform agricultural tackles and Chatterton mostly because he was er Chatterton.
I think Sewell also got it because he was old school and non trendy in those heady late '60's days. In the same way that the late Peter Houseman got it at Chelsea.
Agree re Nicky Chatterton. Lovely balanced player.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:39 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Regarding a couple of players mentioned;

Paul Mortimer was indeed a 'nothingy' player - slow, no flair etc. I do remember however him playing a blinding game away to QPR I think in the cup. I believe he played on the different wing to usual and it was the only game I remember him ever being any good.

As for Pardew, he was pretty bad at first, but to be fair to him, he was plucked from non league Yeovil and it must have been a steep learning curve for him. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread with Barber, he was also surrounded by some far superior players which made him look worse. I think if players are making a big step up or big change from their previous club, they can sometimes need maybe a year or more before you start to see the best from them - look at someone even as good as Thierry Henry who took a long time to settle at Arsenal. Jedi and Murray are a couple of recent examples where some fans were perhaps passing judgement a little early.

Of course, when Pardew went to Charlton he showed he was a much better player than he ever looked with us. I think our 'rambunctious' style sometimes stifled some players' ability to express themselves too well.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:41 PM

Spindle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpindle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpindle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpindle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpindle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpindle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpindle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpindle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpindle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpindle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpindle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Paul Boden.

Good player, constantly slagged.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:32 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se9 eagles View Post
Brian Bason.Poor sod tried his hardest but with 5000 in the ground you could hear all the abuse.One game my mate threw the ball in his face when he came to retrieve it.Funny at the time but he looked broken.....
Threw the ball in our players face? What a prick, surely no one with any decency would do that, to anyone
Old 03-08-2017, 11:33 PM

elthameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelthameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelthameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelthameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelthameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelthameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelthameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelthameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelthameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelthameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelthameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
I started watching Palace in Feb '70. remember thinking in my young mind how shit he appeared to be, but not as shit as Jim Scott. I do not recall or was totally unaware of either getting stick from the fans though.
I the old days the right floodlight on the Homesdale(when looking at the pitch) was the area for the moaners. I remember Scott getting a chant of" Scott's a twott" which ammused me and when I repeated it at home my mother replyed "thats as may be dear but its not a very nice thing to shout out loud" Needless to say I didn't join in the chant at the next home game.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:46 AM

Andrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedb55 View Post
I'm with you there, never forget the goal he smashed in against Liverpool in the cup, what a strike!
Didn't Doris also score a blinding free kick home to Sheffield Wednesday in the early 80s, bending the ball round the wall?

Or have I made that up?

My first encounter with Doris was when walking up to the Old Stand in about 77 for the league cup game with Pompeii. At 2.45 he was outside the ground selling his comp tickets to me and my dad. At 3 he ran out onto the pitch and played.