Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:06 AM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Extending WiFi with crap kit

I am trying to extend WiFi range in a building with solid concrete walls. The router I have is rubbish a TP Link 450Mbs Wireless N Router.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

I also have two TP Link Range Extenders, AC750

Next to the Router the speed is pretty fast, 20Mbs. Just a couple of rooms away there is no signal. Can anyone advise if I can daisy chain these extenders to get the range across a few rooms, and if so do I need to give each extender its own name or can I just connect via WPS (bit worried they might try to connect to each other)?

Many thanks
Old 12-08-2017, 01:18 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
So what's it like in prison?

Word of advice... don't drop the soap!
Old 12-08-2017, 01:36 AM

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Better these days since they give you internet. I think trying to get it to work is part of the punishment
Old 12-08-2017, 01:39 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Old 12-08-2017, 05:16 AM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Get one of those bits of kit that turns the electrical wiring into a network. Dirt cheap. Then plug in another wifi router in the room with no coverage or if you're using a desktop or console just cable it direct from the power outlet.
Did this in our basement. Worked a treat.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:30 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I (well, my children)'ve never been able to get that to work. Possibly because it's a fibre optic internet connection.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:40 AM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
I wasn't on fibre optic so can't comment
Old 12-08-2017, 11:07 AM

LN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
I am trying to extend WiFi range in a building with solid concrete walls. The router I have is rubbish a TP Link 450Mbs Wireless N Router.

I also have two TP Link Range Extenders, AC750

Next to the Router the speed is pretty fast, 20Mbs. Just a couple of rooms away there is no signal. Can anyone advise if I can daisy chain these extenders to get the range across a few rooms, and if so do I need to give each extender its own name or can I just connect via WPS (bit worried they might try to connect to each other)?

Many thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Palace View Post
Get one of those bits of kit that turns the electrical wiring into a network. Dirt cheap. Then plug in another wifi router in the room with no coverage or if you're using a desktop or console just cable it direct from the power outlet.
Should work okay as the power line adapters usually have Ethernet ports so you can connect a second router to it in a different location of the house with minimal loss of signal.

I've never had much luck with range extenders and barely seem to make a difference in my case. They also halve the speed for each in it unit in the chain so are not particularly good if you have a slow connection to start with. Never tried daisy chaining them so I'm not sure how this would work in practise.

If nothing is suitable then it looks as if your router does have removable aerials so you could try a cabled standalone aerial and moving this to a more favourable area?
Old 12-08-2017, 11:23 AM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Palace View Post
This i have tp link poweline adaptors with ethernet ports. bought a nether wifi extender. However don't bother connecting it wirelessly. put a power line adaptor in room at end of current wifi range then use an ethernet cable to attach the wifi extender to the power line adaptor. we now have excellent wifi in the garden

SaulAlinsky
Old 12-08-2017, 05:22 PM

Thanks all,

I should say this is a bodge job for a temporary area, and while I can additional stuff I'm keen not to given the temp nature.

Managed to get a signal working using one extender. It's not great but enough to watch a stream with some buffering. It's set up with WPS so same network name as the router so you can walk around without having to manually switch WiFi between the two.

Weirdly when I use the remaining WiFi extender at the far end of the signal it works (stronger WiFi signal) but it's slower then without it?

If this doesn't work I'll bite the bullet and buy some power line things and another crappy router.