Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:32 AM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR5 Eagle View Post
Which points to us being beyond unlucky - I can't ever think of a squad so ravaged by contact injuries. Injuries have defined our season - not only in our playing staff but recruitment too if the Schurrle story is true.
What story is this?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:38 AM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
We have been very unlucky with injuries but four problems - all within our control - have massively compounded the problem:

1. Our squad is imbalanced so it only takes one or two injuries in certain positions and we are left with no options. This is most severe in the striker and winger positions where we are very short of numbers and quality. This is th club's fault for not having suitable cover.

2. Because we have such a shallow squad in certain areas, the majority of our players will have to play the full 90 minutes and they will play every game they are fit. This must be putting strain on those players which makes them more susceptible to injuries. A lot of our problems were compounded after the Christmas schedule - some players like Townsend were played too much.

3. We went into this season with a 24 man squad only but you could argue this was closer to being a 21 man squad given the injuries to Wickham and Souare meant they were never likely to be used, especially Wickham. Plus Mutch is clearly never going to be used as he's just plain awful. And even then you could say players like KaiKai and Delaney were also unlikely to be used. That really only left us with 18-19 players who could reasonably be expected to play in the first team. And then we wonder why we are so short when 8-9 players are out?

4. When we finally get round to signing new players, as in January, they are not even ready to start games or come off the bench because we buy players who either aren't fit or not match fit for the premier league. When you are very short of numbers and need some new players to make an immediate impact as we did, why only sign three players who have been bought for the future (though hopefully Sorloth will be able to make an impact soon)? It makes no sense. We have seen clubs around us bring in players who have made an immediate impact - eg Delefaou.

I think we've been very unlucky but poor decisions by the board have magnified these problems. Every season we seem to have positions that are not covered. This isn't about having £100k per week players on the bench but we need a much more balanced squad and we need to be starting the season with a full 25 man squad with as few passengers as possible. I really hope we scrape through and address this in the summer. We're in our fifth season in the premier league and shouldn't have these gaps in our squad.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:38 AM

jhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
What ever way you look at it, we have been incredibly unlucky.
I suppose we can point to other issues about the strength of the squad, but we are never going to be in a position of having the luxury of two top players for each position.

We have to live within our means. It's just that when we are hit by an injury crisis, we are going to feel it far more than a Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool.

Difficult times for Roy, that's for sure!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:18 AM
18 years for 3,670 posts

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc View Post
We have to live within our means. It's just that when we are hit by an injury crisis, we are going to feel it far more than a Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool.
Oh come on..as I posted yesterday Man City are worse off than us..apparently they could only have 6 on their bench at the weekend. Guardiola; Thats literally all he had available. Bless 'em.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:25 AM
Big Member

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o View Post
Oh come on..as I posted yesterday Man City are worse off than us..apparently they could only have 6 on their bench at the weekend. Guardiola; Thats literally all he had available. Bless 'em.
I'd chip if they started a crowdfunding attempt; poor lambs.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:21 AM

EaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I think that our players get injured more because they are more willing to commit themselves to risky tackles, they want the club to succeed so they put themselves on the line. Call me naive but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!
Old 07-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
I think that players are on such an intense muscle development regime that the joints can't keep up.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
I think the doctor is crap.

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign
Old 07-02-2018, 12:00 PM

jhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Old 07-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Palace since 1970

Gazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
They'd better sign up another £50 million reserve then. Get the cheque book out Pep!
Old 07-02-2018, 12:47 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Pep must’ve been tempted to name himself on the teamsheet.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:16 PM

Son of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I'd take him, but wages might be an issue
Old 07-02-2018, 01:38 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgetail View Post
I think that players are on such an intense muscle development regime that the joints can't keep up.
Nail on the head. The game is far more physical so impacts are harder and the limbs also stressed by greater muscle loading on joints, ligaments and tendons.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:10 PM

palace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Well maybe we should be a bit more positive and hope that these injuries are not down to some sort of Palace bad luck. I would explain using Quantum Theory if you understand that then you would understand the need to be positive.
I am hoping that our three new signings get given game time as soon as possible to prove their worth.
Unfortunately Steve, Dougie and co. didn't identify as some on here did that we reallly needed a back-up winger who could slot in if need be.
However despite his error at Burnley 'total football'-related I reckon, Chungy could play on the wing and be that back-up
OR we could play Soure at left back and PVA at left wing.
Or maybe Sorloth could do a better job at Left wing than James McArthur. They're neither used to being wingers I think that Sorloth is probably faster than James, definitely younger and probably a better crosser of the ball than James or Wilf.
Anyway we'll see soon.

BUT please cut the negativity and superstitious self-affirming prophecy people!

COYP we can and hopefully will stay up in spite of these injuries and hopefully give new players their opportunity earlier.

:-)
Old 07-02-2018, 02:58 PM

BR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
What story is this?
That we were in pole position (with Palace that certainly doesn't mean we'd have got him) to sign him on loan until someone at Dortmund got injured the day before Deadline Day and Dortmund shut all doors down. He scored and assisted for Dortmund at the weekend...
Old 07-02-2018, 03:15 PM

Bryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is here
We have been unlucky with more than injuries for about 2 years now, that includes numerous terrible refereeing decisions, worldy goals, ridiculous numbers of saves/goal line clearances and performances against us with teams hitting form against us at the wrong time. Injuries have been the worse issue problem though.

Reminds of the England national team in the nineties/noughties where we always found new/fluky and interesting ways to get knocked out of competitions that often had nothing to do with football.

The only thing that has gone our way recently is a few penalty decisions (a couple of which we missed anyway).
Old 07-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Lone Coyote

Steve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by claretblue View Post
But it is not just Palace Burnley may be be having their best season for years results wise but this has been achieved despite a terrible run of injuries.

In the 4th game (against Palace), skipper and goalkeeper Tom Heaton dislocated his shoulder and is STILL out while midfield stalwart Dean Marney (ACL) has not kicked a ball this season.

Just as he was really starting to play well, Robbie Brady (ACL) was ruled out for the season while Jon Walters has just returned from an injury suffered in September.

Record signing Chris Wood is currently injured and has missed half a dozen or so games while the defence has been particularly hard hit with Matt Lowton, James Tarkowski, Ben Mee and Stephen Ward ALL missing three games or more with various injuries - Ward the worst with a knee injury which has him still sidelined after missing the last 6 matches.
Only seems half as bad as Palace. We aren't talking little 3 or 6 game absences but players missing for half a season or are out for the season types of injuries. Can you name an entire XI of first team regulars out right now? Sounds like you have 3 or 4 compared to Palace's 7 or 8.

GK - Speroni plus Hennessey's spasms
DEF - Sakho/Tomkins/Ward missed 6+ games, Dann, Schlupp out for season
MID - Zaha out twice for long stretch, RLC, Punch out for season, Cabaye/McArthur knocked
ATT - Wickham, Sako out for season

Last edited by Steve in Phoenix; 07-02-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:25 PM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Phoenix View Post
Only seems half as bad as Palace. We aren't talking little 3 or 6 game absences but players missing for half a season or are out for the season types of injuries. Can you name an entire XI of first team regulars out right now? Sounds like you have 3 or 4 compared to Palace's 7 or 8.

MID - Zaha out twice for long stretch, RLC, Punch out for season, Cabaye/McArthur knocked
Kelly and Delaney ? And of course there is Mutch.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:35 PM

Bryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Phoenix View Post

And Benteke was out
Old 07-02-2018, 04:36 PM
Fort Neef massiv

Glɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Maybe they could get Nasri back in, on a half season contract. Would be perfect for both parties.

I think as has been stated we've been unlucky. That said the increasing pace and intensity of the game year on year has got to be a factor.