Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 13-09-2017, 05:48 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Mentions of Roy Hodgson as a Palace schoolboy in old programmes/memorabilia?

Not in any way doubting that Roy Hodgson was a Palace schoolboy circa 1965/66 - it is well documented and not disputed.

I have looked in the yearbooks of that time, and there is no mention of him. Playing for Palace schoolboys was of course a step below the apprentices and amateurs (of which Steve Kember was one back then)

Just curious really and wondered if any of our more avid collectors of programmes and keepers of scrapbooks and cuttings have anything original such as mentions in match reports or line-ups which mention his name from waaaaay back then?
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 13-09-2017, 09:58 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The 'Hodgson Mystery' has been puzzling me for years also.

My wife had two cousins that both played for Palace juniors in mid to late 1960's, they are both in this picture, which I'm guessing is circa 1966 because that is the last year before we reverted back to Claret and Blue (or light blue and thin claret stripes if I'm right?) - anyway I posted this in another thread, I know it's not great quality, but one or two lads do look a bit like Roy - maybe someone knows.

I like the story I heard about Roy Hodgson's Dad, a scouser, who was a South Croydon bus driver, who also had a Mr Kember as his clippie (ticket collector) - Steve Kember's dad!

Slightly off thread, one of the first black players to play for Palace - Chick Maynard (the first, I think, was Tony Collins in the late 1950's) - also featured in Palace reserve teams of the mid 60's - you can see a great photo of him if you look up his name on Getty Images- maybe that's a young Roy Hodgson in the background of that photo?!

Old 13-09-2017, 11:05 AM

Eastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My monies on Roy being second from left, bottom row. Does look like him?
Old 13-09-2017, 03:07 PM

CPFC Since 68 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Since 68 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Since 68 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Since 68 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Since 68 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Since 68 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Since 68 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Since 68 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Since 68 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Since 68 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Since 68 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
If it is 1966 that would have made him 19 at the time so cant be right unless its an earlier photo. He could look very young for his age though
Old 13-09-2017, 03:20 PM

CJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
[QUOTE=CP Satellite;13843234] I like the story I heard about Roy Hodgson's Dad, a scouser, who was a South Croydon bus driver, who also had a Mr Kember as his clippie (ticket collector) - Steve Kember's dad!

Not a true story as Steve Kember's dad was a policeman.
Old 13-09-2017, 03:32 PM
One Henry Hughton

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Tony Blair bottom row, far left.

Twinned with MK Dons
Old 13-09-2017, 03:43 PM

Harry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
[QUOTE=CJ PLUM;13843854]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
I like the story I heard about Roy Hodgson's Dad, a scouser, who was a South Croydon bus driver, who also had a Mr Kember as his clippie (ticket collector) - Steve Kember's dad!

Not a true story as Steve Kember's dad was a policeman.
It is a true story but Kembers dad was also in the in the police.
Old 13-09-2017, 04:10 PM

Harry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

My wife had two cousins that both played for Palace juniors in mid to late 1960's, they are both in this picture, which I'm guessing is circa 1966 because that is the last year before we reverted back to Claret and Blue (or light blue and thin claret stripes if I'm right?) - anyway I posted this in another thread, I know it's not great quality, but one or two lads do look a bit like Roy - maybe someone knows.

Slightly off thread, one of the first black players to play for Palace - Chick Maynard (the first, I think, was Tony Collins in the late 1950's) - also featured in Palace reserve teams of the mid 60's - you can see a great photo of him if you look up his name on Getty Images- maybe that's a young Roy Hodgson in the background of that photo?!

Just a minor point but a "clippie" was a reference to female bus conductress
Old 13-09-2017, 07:17 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Bassett View Post

Move along please.
Old 15-09-2017, 02:25 PM

MAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Wikipedia (yes, I know) states that Roy's youth career was 1963-65 and his senior career 1965-66, although he did not appear in the first team.

I am not sure if this is correct. Can anyone confirm?

I understand he then moved to Sutton United and played in their reserves 1966-67 but Wikipedia states Tonbridge Angels 1966-1969.

Is there a biography / autobiography which mentions his time at Palace?
Old 15-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Bassett View Post
I 'ate you Basset.......
Old 15-09-2017, 06:30 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Joe Hart's aged quite well.
Old 15-09-2017, 06:52 PM

Sleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Must be bottom middle no?
Old 15-09-2017, 06:58 PM

ian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I am virtually 100% certain that Roy never made the Reserves team at Palace and also did not play in any of the Youth Cup ties at the time. My details for the Southern Junior Floodlit Cup are more sketchy. Perhaps Tony1947 could help here.
Old 15-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Keep digging guys, there must be an authentic name check somewhere!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 15-09-2017, 07:25 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Might help in an ID - Roy H (centre) in the John Ruskin School photograph taken in 1962
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hodgson62 (2).jpg (40.4 KB, 79 views)
Old 15-09-2017, 07:34 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post
Might help in an ID - Roy H (centre) in the John Ruskin School photograph taken in 1962
good work ROB. Is that Parish's old fella in front of him on the right." When you make it big son, make sure you give a job to my old mates."
Old 15-09-2017, 07:38 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad John View Post
good work ROB. Is that Parish's old fella in front of him on the right." When you make it big son, make sure you give a job to my old mates."

Remembered one more thing about Steve K - his brother Keith became a policeman like their dad.
Old 15-09-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post

Remembered one more thing about Steve K - his brother Keith became a policeman like their dad.
I think he had a brother or cousin called Robin who might have been on Palace's books for a short while. I played against him when he played for Whytleafe
Old 16-09-2017, 01:17 AM

Purepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

How do you explain the absence of a club badge?

"In 1964 Palace played Real Madrid in a friendly to celebrate the installation of their new floodlights. For the next two seasons they wore an all white kit similar to the European Champions adorned with a simple crest in red, white and blue."
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Last edited by Purepalace; 16-09-2017 at 01:24 AM.