Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 13-09-2017, 07:35 PM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se9 eagles View Post
August 30th 1975 attn 13,713.We were top of div 3 at the time.Nothing wrong with my memory.
We had just beaten them 6-1 on aggregate in the old league cup 2 leg format as well if my memory serves me correctly.
Old 13-09-2017, 07:40 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
August 30th 1975 attn 13,713.We were top of div 3 at the time.Nothing wrong with my memory.
My first game at Selhurst I think - Malcolm Allison the manager?
Old 13-09-2017, 07:46 PM

Se9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
My first game at Selhurst I think - Malcolm Allison the manager?
Yep.We were running away with the league until the Cup got in the way and it all went tits up.For a young kid like me those drawn home games at the end of the season when we battered teams and couldn't score were heartbreaking.Remember Peter Taylor missing that crucial penalty home to Millwall?
Old 13-09-2017, 08:06 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
For a young kid like me those drawn home games at the end of the season when we battered teams and couldn't score were heartbreaking
Chesterfield and Aldershot ... ?
Old 13-09-2017, 08:10 PM

Se9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Chesterfield and Aldershot ... ?
Scarred me for life.Both 0-0 I think and both like the Alamo.How did we cock it up?Typical bloody Palace!
Old 13-09-2017, 08:43 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
Away to Millwall at the old den no less unless I'm mistaken
His hat-trick was in a 3-2 win at home to Colchester United (Sat,30-Aug-1976). A distinct rarity in that he was playing in central defence. The only defender to match the feat since has been Dean Gordon in December 1995 but a couple of those were penalties. I'm pretty sure all of Evans' were from open play; a couple of them trademark headers.

He continued to pick up Wales caps while playing for us in Division3 back in the days when it still meant something. As already mentioned above, his career was sadly curtailed by an outrageous foul by George Best in Oct 1977. I think he possibly captained them at least once but I can't find on-line confirmation. He remains one of the only Welsh XI to have beaten England at Wembley in 1977.

Relatively speaking, a great of the era for us. A sadly unfulfilled talent. His nickname "Taff" epitomized the truly unimaginative heyday of 70s football.
Old 14-09-2017, 12:40 AM
W.I.N.

Purepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Did OK, came as part of the Terry Venables deal.

Probably most famous for having his leg broken by a George Best tackle.
Seriously?

IMO, in the all time best players ever to wear the red and blue.

To only remember him for the Best foul is sacrilegious.
Old 14-09-2017, 01:00 AM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
Great character and was coach to Steve Coppell for what seemed like more than a couple of years at Palace. Hooked up with Mick McCarthy as his assistant manager at Wolves and Sunderland but more importantly for Ireland and a World Cup. Very decent CH for us but most players are never the same after a bad break. Didn't go to Ipswich with Mick so interesting to know what he is doing these days. Was there when the GB tackle broke his leg, like a rifle going off as it broke so obvious it was a bad break. Better than many of our recent CHs.
Old 14-09-2017, 01:06 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Went by the obvious nickname of Taff, but was a Surrey lad we signed, as previously said on this thread with Venables from QPR in 1974 in exchange for the legendary Don Rogers.

He was our Captain right up to that horrid tackle by Best, which was wreckless and the nonchalant way Best tried to shrug it off made me dislike Best forever from that day.

Ian Evans was a great player and captain for us, a central figure in the great FA Cup of 1976 and our last gasp promotion from the old Third Division in 76/77.

I honestly believe Palace would have done far better in the 1979/80 season in Division One as the famous Team of the Eighties missed a real father figure - we had Gerry Francis who had signed from QPR and Mike Flanagan from Charlton - but Evans had been at Palace for five years and knew how the team ticked - Jimmy Cannon had been at Palace longer and was a great player and Palace captain, but Taffy was that bit more experienced and I still think he is our greatest ever Captain - just ahead of Geoff Thomas and Jimbo - I briefly saw John McCormick - these guys were as tough as they came, Evans was also a key player in one of the best Wales teams for decades - if Bale was in that team they really would have been special - and Taffy was their captain - I think he scored v England at Wembley too, whilst a Palace player.
Old 14-09-2017, 02:58 AM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
I can't find on-line footage but Evans possibly lays claim to scoring in the furthest round of an International tournament while playing for Palace (for a European side anyway).

The 1976 Euros only had the Semis & Final hosted by a neutral country. The winners of the 8 qualifying groups played-off home and away in what were essentially Quarter Finals. Having won their group (the only British team to do so) Wales played Yugoslavia in the Q/F. Having lost 0-2 in Zagreb, Wales could only draw 1-1 at Ninian Park in May 76 with Ian Evans scoring.

Surely the furthest round of an international tournament that a Palace player has scored in. Can anyone beat that? I think I remember him scoring an own-goal for Wales around that time too; I'm not sure whether it was in a competitive match or not.
Old 14-09-2017, 05:46 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Very few Palace players have scored in International Tournaments to be honest.

Jedinak scored (a penalty?) in the 2014 World Cup group stage for Australia, and Kwesi Appiah scored in a 2015 AFCON Quarter Final for Ghana, but I don't even think the likes of Zaha or Bolasie have scored at AFCON, so Evans almost certainly has that claim
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013

Last edited by Dorking .Eagle; 14-09-2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 14-09-2017, 06:06 AM

Olympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
My mistake. I'm sure that he scored a header at the den though. Could have been in our first season back in the second division in 1977.
He did indeed. I re-created that goal dozens of times in the back garden, using my sister's upturned rabbit run as a goal.
Old 14-09-2017, 06:37 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owngoal View Post
Great character and was coach to Steve Coppell for what seemed like more than a couple of years at Palace. Hooked up with Mick McCarthy as his assistant manager at Wolves and Sunderland but more importantly for Ireland and a World Cup. Very decent CH for us but most players are never the same after a bad break. Didn't go to Ipswich with Mick so interesting to know what he is doing these days. Was there when the GB tackle broke his leg, like a rifle going off as it broke so obvious it was a bad break. Better than many of our recent CHs.
He joined up with Steve very early so think it was more than two years, part of the back room team that put the 1989 side together. Leaving just before we went up.
Signed as many have said in the Rogers/Venables deal remember reading about it on the way up to Southend for a Friday night game. Whilst the Venables deal was exciting Evans was secondary in the deal to me. Turned out to be the far better player. Both though are a big part of our history though Evans role is less spectacular or talked about his help to SSC should not be forgotten.
Old 14-09-2017, 09:55 AM

horsham palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehorsham palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehorsham palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehorsham palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehorsham palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehorsham palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehorsham palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehorsham palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehorsham palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehorsham palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehorsham palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owngoal View Post
He is scouting for Ipswich these days so still has the McCarthy connection. Still hates Brighton too!
Old 14-09-2017, 10:06 AM

old geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
You are I'm afraid otherwise he'd be a legend in SE9!Did score in the 3-0 win there on the opening day of the 77-78 season though....
Yes he did score but not a hat trick
If I remember correctly Jeff Bourne (lovely player) also scored
We played some beautiful football that day
Old 14-09-2017, 10:21 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsham palace View Post
He is scouting for Ipswich these days so still has the McCarthy connection. Still hates Brighton too!
The McCarthy connection goes back to his Barnsley days they were the two centre halfs back in the day...
Old 14-09-2017, 10:36 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsham palace View Post
He had a great sense of humour and I still remember a fun article on him in one of the programmes back in the day where he said the number 8 was important because "We 8 Brighton and We 8 Millwall".

He was there for all of those early clashes when the rivalry kicked off with Brighton and we had several memorable matches with Millwall back in the day too, he certainly knew how much it meant to the fans.
Old 14-09-2017, 10:45 AM
former Palace Guard

viking's no1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietviking's no1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietviking's no1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietviking's no1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietviking's no1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietviking's no1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietviking's no1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietviking's no1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietviking's no1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietviking's no1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietviking's no1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Ian Evans was one the first players I have a vivid memory of. He may have turned up only once, but my recollection is that he often went to Palace Guard social events and awards nights in the 70's. He turned up I think in crutches to one event where he told my mate Jonathan Veach, who had probably won another award, to raise his left leg onto a chair and Ian then declared that this was one of the best left foots he'd seen. The Palace captain telling my mate he was one of the best. Happy days.
Old 14-09-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
He was there for all of those early clashes when the rivalry kicked off with Brighton and we had several memorable matches with Millwall back in the day too, he certainly knew how much it meant to the fans.
I read an interview with an ex-player (I can't remember who) who had played under Coppell and Evans in the late 80s and was asked about the Brighton rivalry and specifically those 2 abject defeats at The Goldstone Ground around that time. He said that generally speaking, the players were unaware that there was any special hostility about the fixture but they'd come in at half-time, losing and playing badly and Evans was apoplectic and he said that the players were thinking "bloody hell, what have we done here". They were swiftly put right about the importance of the match to the fans.
Old 14-09-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
Yes he did score but not a hat trick
If I remember correctly Jeff Bourne (lovely player) also scored
We played some beautiful football that day
Saw one of my Wall supporting schoolmates after the game.Tried to ignore him but he gave me away.'Hes Palace,he's Palace'!Had to leg it a bit smartish.Won there the following season as well with a new team including Sansom,Nicholas,Gilbert etc scoring three again.