Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 15-09-2017, 12:42 PM
People are People

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
from BBC

• "I am feeling very good and very excited, it has been a hectic week, last three days working with the players and getting to know them. Now it is all about tomorrow and seeing what the outcome is of our work this week, really excited and hopefully fans will be behind us."

• "I think you always draw on previous experiences, sometimes without even realising you are. The training is always evolving, the game is always evolving, I am hoping my experience will help and as far as where it sits in the challenges I face, I think that's a very difficult question to answer. Weve had a bad start and handicapped ourselves by not taking any points so far, but the one point I've made to the players is that our focus is on May and not the end of September. Teams aren't relegated at the end of September. Who doesn't want to see character, who doesn't want to see discipline."

• "I'm hopeful and enthusiastic about what we're going to achieve. I'm a Premier League manager. I am fully aware the team have started badly and I expect the pressure of the job. I am hoping my experience will help. Where it sits in order of challenges I have faced is difficult to answer, with Fulham I had 18 games and 12 with West Brom, this is quite different. It is a 34 games season, had a bad start, handicapped ourselves by not taking any points, 34 to goals. I said to players that our focus is on May, not the end of September. Leagues are not won at end of September and teams not relegated at end of September. Everything evolves in the Premier League, it's bigger and bigger. We are the league where the top players want to play and the league which makes the most money. There has definitely been an evolution in the right way."

• "All styles of play depend on players who play game. It is difficult to impose style that they are not comfortable with. I have seen quite a lot of Palace over the last five years. I have got a clear idea of what works for them and the style needed to be one that wins football matches."

• "I believe the team will stay up absolutely. I wouldn't have taken the job if I didn't believe I and my coaching staff were the right people. This could be a very good year."

• "I have not questioned myself [about England departure]. Matches do get lost, especially in tournament football. I enjoyed my time with England, it was a huge honour, very good memories, and unfortunately that chapter has gone. I am now focused on the next one, as far as I am concerned it’s Palace, Palace, Palace. This club has a strong fan base, there is a feeling it represents south London and means a lot to people born here or live in area. All that matters to me. Hopefully they are enthusiastic of what we are going to achieve."

• "[As a boy] If someone told me I wouldn't have been good enough to play for Palace, but I'd be good enough to manage them, I'd take that."

• "I was heartened by what I saw on TV in the Burnley game. I saw a team that dominated the game and defended well. The least I can hope for is to reproduce that tomorrow. There is no doubt in my players' minds about the importance of the game and how much it would be a good game to win, these 11 select need to show it on the field of play."

• "James Tomkins and Ruben Loftus-Cheek are now fit. Mamadou Sakho and Pape Souare are still pushing for match fitness. Wilfried Zaha has more rehab to do. Sakho looks good, training every day but not played. Pape Souare same, what an incredible comeback."

Last edited by firesign; 15-09-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 15-09-2017, 12:45 PM

mcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Go on Roy! Spoke well
Old 15-09-2017, 12:46 PM

cdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is here
Well what a breath of fresh air he is - down to earth - calm and assured - if I were playing for him I'd have a lot of confidence in his experience and his style - now lets see how it works out in the game - really looking forward to tommorrow
Old 15-09-2017, 12:52 PM
'or 0=0'

The Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sounds good. He's a Palace fan. He stood on the terraces at Selhurst. How can people not get behind him? He is living the dream - whether it be to play or manage the team you support. There is no way anyone can doubt he has the best intentions for Palace at heart. He has lots of experience abroad, internationally and even more importantly, in the Premier League.

Let's get three points on Saturday and kick start our season.
Old 15-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by East-End Eagle View Post
Any news on our injured star trio?
Yes.

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign
Old 15-09-2017, 12:56 PM

East-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Yes.
Yep saw it. Good news. Didn't expect wilf to be ready, or sakho, but good that rlc and Tomkins are back
Old 15-09-2017, 01:02 PM
cheeks

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
Enjoyed his response to whether he is suited more to club football
Old 15-09-2017, 01:04 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisophiex View Post
Didn't know he was in Kraftwerk / Joy Division (take your pick)
Also a henchman for the Krays
Old 15-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCPFC View Post
Very, very impressed.

The whole England ridicule from what we know is an absolute c**t of a media has probably influenced a lot of us to be concnerned or even have a negative opinion of Hodgson with myself included in that.

I'm convinced he will get this right, if the players can't take to a man like that they are the problem. His confidence talking about staying in this league was refreshing to see and must breed through to the players.
On a similar note, it will be interesting to see how he manages Steve Parish.
Old 15-09-2017, 01:12 PM

Ooh Betty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOoh Betty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOoh Betty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOoh Betty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOoh Betty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOoh Betty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOoh Betty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOoh Betty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOoh Betty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOoh Betty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOoh Betty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I thought he came across very well. Feels a lot more positive now.
Old 15-09-2017, 01:22 PM

Payroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is here
He's all over it isn't he. Lots of enthusiasm there, lots of drive.

I'd like to think this could really work.
Old 15-09-2017, 01:27 PM

Jimmy Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmy Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmy Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmy Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmy Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmy Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmy Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmy Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmy Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmy Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmy Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef View Post
Enjoyed his response to whether he is suited more to club football
go on....
Old 15-09-2017, 01:32 PM

PHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Come on Roy we love someone who has something to prove at Palace, he's interviews have reenergised me I feel hope and excitement.
Old 15-09-2017, 01:34 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Top 15 here we come!

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign
Old 15-09-2017, 01:35 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
I cannot rewrite history. I despised him as England Manager. I thought he showed himself to be a one dimensional dinosaur whose expertise looked stuck way back sometime in the 80's (possibly later but you get my drift). He just never looked like making a success of it.

However two things have taken me by surprise already. How well he has spoken and how reassuring that has been since arriving and secondly the groundswell of support he is receiving amongst the palace faithful already. This has taken me by surprise but i am finding myself unexpectedly infected by it and prepared to go along with it.
Old 15-09-2017, 01:36 PM
Banned by Moderators

Se9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine lucas View Post
Any mention of Sako?
'On a diet'...
Old 15-09-2017, 01:40 PM

firstgame63cpfc Sam the man is herefirstgame63cpfc Sam the man is herefirstgame63cpfc Sam the man is herefirstgame63cpfc Sam the man is herefirstgame63cpfc Sam the man is herefirstgame63cpfc Sam the man is herefirstgame63cpfc Sam the man is herefirstgame63cpfc Sam the man is herefirstgame63cpfc Sam the man is herefirstgame63cpfc Sam the man is herefirstgame63cpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
I cannot rewrite history. I despised him as England Manager. I thought he showed himself to be a one dimensional dinosaur whose expertise looked stuck way back sometime in the 80's (possibly later but you get my drift). He just never looked like making a success of it.

However two things have taken me by surprise already. How well he has spoken and how reassuring that has been since arriving and secondly the groundswell of support he is receiving amongst the palace faithful already. This has taken me by surprise but i am finding myself unexpectedly infected by it and prepared to go along with it.
Good on you

I feel so much more confident after listening to him, think
the players will too
Old 15-09-2017, 01:43 PM

KevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
To me..... this is was the right decision.
We could have waited, but it would have taken longer to get the spirit back........

I think we all agree that the passing football we were playing was very good, but we just didn't have the players to execute it at pace, under the pressure of other premiership players closing us down.
Most of our goals against came from us giving the ball away under pressure.
It's obvious to me that after 3 games we wouldn't win another playing like that and playing the formation we did against Burnley we would win most.
If I can work that out then so can the players.
If we go back to 4-3-3 we don't need De Boer because he's not used to playing like that.
Roy (or Sam) are.
And would be more experienced managers playing in that style.
If you read the article below.. De Boer's man management skills were not conducive to a good team spirit.

We've seen worse... most of the time.
Remember we are still in the premiership ... we've got the best squad on paper we've ever had assembled at the club... EVER.
We just need leadership and everyone pulling in the same direction.... and that includes US... we can play our part Saturday.

We'll never know the full story, but let's get behind the team Saturday and get the place rocking again.

And anyone who doesn't think Roy's methods for achieving results at this level are any good... his statistics are pretty conclusive and very consistent.

It's a brave decision by our owners to make this decision so early, but the right one.

35% - Roy Hodgson's win percentage as a Premier League manager.
Blackburn 35%
Fulham 34%
Liverpool 35%
West Brom 36%.
Consistent.
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) September 12, 2017

Article about management style and player confidence - To view the link you have to Register or Login

Matt Lawrence .....May 2010!

Last edited by KevMason98; 15-09-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 15-09-2017, 01:43 PM
It's a term of affection

Fatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is here
"[As a boy] If someone told me I wouldn't have been good enough to play for Palace, but I'd be good enough to manage them, I'd take that."

Return of the Jedi. Welcome back Roy.
Old 15-09-2017, 01:44 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Hoping Sako is back - he's been pictured in training. No one seems to ask about him though - bit of a forgotten player sadly. We could use him in Wilf's absence.