Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 18-09-2017, 10:06 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Zaha versus Rogers

Two brilliant wingers, but who is the best?
Old 18-09-2017, 10:15 PM

Harry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Zaha perhaps more consistent, Rogers faster and a much better goal scorer, how Rogers was not an England regular is beyond me Don had dodgy knees though.

Both would make the team.
Old 18-09-2017, 10:17 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Bassett View Post
Zaha perhaps more consistent, Rogers faster and a much better goal scorer, how Rogers was not an England regular is beyond me Don had dodgy knees though.

Both would make the team.

They would make any team we put out and are proven at the very top level.
Old 18-09-2017, 10:28 PM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
It doesn't matter.
Old 18-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quite difficult to compare eras because memory plays tricks. Allowing for that I would have said that Rogers was just as magical as Wilf looks at his best but almost casual (different era remember) as he left players on their ****. He seemed to walk past defenders, jinking and leaving them on the floor. Also from memory he seemed to create or score more regularly but I suspect that maybe amplified by the passing of time because you remember those moments.

I just had that feeling that this year would be Wilf's year and everything would come together and his new role would have seen him score a lot more goals. So one thing I am gutted about is not seeing him play there as I assume he will be pushed back out wide again where he can be boxed in more easily. He will wriggle free but not as often as I had hoped. His injury has been a blow but hopefully he will be back on track soon.
Old 18-09-2017, 11:00 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
I can only echo Martin H.

Don Rogers.

Only here for two years, but an exciting winger with a goal every 2.5 games, which is up there with the best at Palace. Don's goal-scoring record far outweighs that of Wilf. Some of those goals were truly sublime; two against Man Utd in THAT game and a goal of the season against Stoke spring readily to mind. Back then, goalscoring wingers were all around, but there was never any international recognition for Don - Palace were just not fashionable enough - plus ša change and all that .

To the best of my knowledge there were no official stats on assists back in Don's day, but there were certainly quite a few. I don't remember him ever being booked, and his temperament was far superior to Wilf. Had he not chosen to stay with third-tier Swindon as long as he did, his career would have been even more illustrious. His dodgy hips were eventually his downfall.

Wilf is equally exciting and skilful and can also tear defences apart. The game has changed since Don's day, but for temperament and goalscoring ability, for me it has to be Don Rogers.
Old 19-09-2017, 10:47 AM

Hal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
An impossible choice. Two of the best wingers ever in this country and both ignored by England.
Old 19-09-2017, 12:21 PM

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by davech View Post
I can only echo Martin H.

Don Rogers.

Only here for two years, but an exciting winger with a goal every 2.5 games, which is up there with the best at Palace. Don's goal-scoring record far outweighs that of Wilf. Some of those goals were truly sublime; two against Man Utd in THAT game and a goal of the season against Stoke spring readily to mind. Back then, goalscoring wingers were all around, but there was never any international recognition for Don - Palace were just not fashionable enough - plus ša change and all that .

To the best of my knowledge there were no official stats on assists back in Don's day, but there were certainly quite a few. I don't remember him ever being booked, and his temperament was far superior to Wilf. Had he not chosen to stay with third-tier Swindon as long as he did, his career would have been even more illustrious. His dodgy hips were eventually his downfall.

Wilf is equally exciting and skilful and can also tear defences apart. The game has changed since Don's day, but for temperament and goalscoring ability, for me it has to be Don Rogers.
I am not surprised his hips ended up being a problem because he seemed to make them go one way while he legs went the other. Nostalgia is a terribly thing but I can watch those goals all day and still wonder at how he beat players sometimes. With Wilf, the outcome is similar, in that I really don't know how he gets past them sometimes but is more to do with the complexity of his tricks etc. Hopefully Wilf can be remembered for decades for a wonderful goal scoring record one day. He is an unbelievable player at times.

I do think that Reuben is right up there with him in terms of his potential and will be a very special player. Long way to go.
Old 19-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Thinking

Bintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Different times.

Not sure how Wilf would last against some of the thuggish full backs and centre halfs back in the day.

One on one Don was a star player. I started going to see Palace as we slid down from the 1st to the 3rd divisions. Hardly won a game. Don was the reason I kept going back. A dream to watch.
Old 19-09-2017, 02:49 PM

wrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was only a kid in don Rogers time but even then he seemed a brilliant player Peter Taylor as well but as a kid you prob only remember the good stuff don't say he didn't run back for there goal ect so hard to judge agaist Zaha today but they are both players worth the ticket money just to watch them.
Old 19-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Concession/Adult

9Freedman9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine9Freedman9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine9Freedman9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine9Freedman9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine9Freedman9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine9Freedman9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine9Freedman9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine9Freedman9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine9Freedman9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine9Freedman9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine9Freedman9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Can we add Jolly Rodger into the mix?
Old 19-09-2017, 03:01 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
two against Man Utd in THAT game
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 19-09-2017, 03:52 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
I know I harp on about Don Rogers at the slightest opportunity, but he is imho the best player I have seen in Palace shirt in my 50-odd years of support. We probably only got him due to Bert Head, who had been a big influence back in their Swindon days; I doubt he would have moved for anyone else.

I remember his debut v Everton. He had been hanging around on the right wing for some 20 minutes or so, looking like a little boy lost. Then there was a through-ball. He was in space and was off like a whippet, outpacing all. He drew David Lawson from goal and lifted the ball past him into the far side of the goal. Final score 1-0, after 7 losses in 8 games. Pure class. Some of our present-day players would do well to watch that and copy.
Old 19-09-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I know I harp on about Don Rogers at the slightest opportunity, but he is imho the best player I have seen in Palace shirt in my 50-odd years of support. We probably only got him due to Bert Head, who had been a big influence back in their Swindon days; I doubt he would have moved for anyone else.

I remember his debut v Everton. He had been hanging around on the right wing for some 20 minutes or so, looking like a little boy lost. Then there was a through-ball. He was in space and was off like a whippet, outpacing all. He drew David Lawson from goal and lifted the ball past him into the far side of the goal. Final score 1-0, after 7 losses in 8 games. Pure class. Some of our present-day players would do well to watch that and copy.
David Lawson - didn't he play for Huddersfield Town at some point? Perhaps its an omen - Don Rogers will score the winner tonight.
Old 19-09-2017, 04:03 PM

Nigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Wow such wonderful memories, If only!!!
As for the superb Don Rogers, what would we give to have a complete winger like him today, and when you think he had his best days at Swindon previously. Also who could forget that Wembley final for Div 3 Swindon when he tore apart was it Arsenal?
As to compare Wilf and Don is slightly tricky due mainly as WZ is more pleasing to the eye with his trickery but nowhere near a finisher like the elegant player Don Rogers was, who was a more direct type winger with skill but also a superb finisher which made him a rarity.
For me it's a no brainer, Don Rogers everytime.
Old 19-09-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelbrag View Post
As for the superb Don Rogers, what would we give to have a complete winger like him today, and when you think he had his best days at Swindon previously. Also who could forget that Wembley final for Div 3 Swindon when he tore apart was it Arsenal?
As to compare Wilf and Don is slightly tricky due mainly as WZ is more pleasing to the eye with his trickery but nowhere near a finisher like the elegant player Don Rogers was, who was a more direct type winger with skill but also a superb finisher which made him a rarity.
Although he was my hero at the time for Palace I think even I always thought of him as being a Swindon player that we now had because he played for and stuck with them for so long.
Old 19-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Old and jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelbrag View Post
And for me too. And, yes, it was Arsenal, on a cabbage patch of a Wembley pitch.
Old 19-09-2017, 04:38 PM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
If anyone not there at the time saw the Don doing his classic goals such as the slaughter of Man U they would not talk about any other Palace player. He was that good and I love Wilf
Old 19-09-2017, 04:48 PM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Quote:

Have to agree with all this. He was so comfortable on the ball and a wonderful and calm finisher. He just oozed class, and I was lucky enough to witness live. all his matches for us at home, including that Man U match on the video above. Great and heady days.
Old 19-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
My late dad always said that Don could 'walk on water'.

I was fortunate enough to see him, and was at the 5-0 and the Stoke goal of the season games.

Not sure he was that quick, especially by todays standards, but he could just drop a shoulder and leave the full back swinging at fresh air. The fact he could finish was a bonus

A joy to watch