Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 24-09-2017, 02:52 PM

Coastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Your Musical Influences.

Looking back, mine are mainly from my mum.

She loved Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka and stuff like that
I find myself loving that stuff too.
Strauss was another one.
Now our family were never classical musical people but I grew up loving The Blue Danube. And if you sit down and listen to it, it's rather beautiful.

Anyhoo, because of influences, I love Diamond, Sedaka and a bit of Strauss...I prefer Mozart if I'm honest. You?

Last edited by Coastal Palace; 24-09-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 24-09-2017, 03:03 PM

Coastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
And I've just realised I sound like a right ponce.
A Strauss loving Mozart ponce at that!
Old 24-09-2017, 03:23 PM

I think this is lovely.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Last edited by Coastal Palace; 24-09-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 24-09-2017, 03:41 PM

colonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Palace View Post
I think this is lovely.

Looks like Mel Gibson!
Old 24-09-2017, 04:09 PM

Harry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I think this is lovely.

Interesting to read youtube comments with a yank bemoaning the lack of good classical music in the states......would be a waste of time telling about Barber,Ives and Copland for example--just listen to his Appalachian Spring.

Blue Danube is played every new years day in a concert from Vienna.
Old 24-09-2017, 04:48 PM
Cruddy Clique

PALACEWU came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEWU came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEWU came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEWU came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEWU came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEWU came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEWU came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEWU came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEWU came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEWU came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEWU came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I am named after Miles Davis and Otis Reading. Would have been Ella if I'd been a girl.
Old 24-09-2017, 04:52 PM

Harry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALACEWU View Post
I am named after Miles Davis and Otis Reading. Would have been Ella if I'd been a girl.

I used to work with a guy named after Miles Davis --was a true great.
Old 24-09-2017, 05:02 PM

dannyb1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyb1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyb1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyb1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyb1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyb1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyb1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyb1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyb1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyb1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyb1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
in my house it was a mix of music from punk (pistols) floyyd, t-rex, Jackson, dire straits, quo, meatloaf, kate Bush.
in my aunts it was ragga, reggae, soul, lovers rock.

i would say aunts music influenced my choices with jungle/D&B and my house i guess influenced oasis, arctic monkeys, la roux, the prodigy.

generation influences MJ, new romantics, ska, electro.
Old 24-09-2017, 05:12 PM
legit

foetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is here
The Shaggs, Wesley Willis and Daniel Johnston.
Old 24-09-2017, 05:34 PM

The Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My folks had a few decent LPs (Beatles, Leonard Cohen, Led Zeppelin) but my main memories are of spending hours on long car journeys listening to terrible Hits of 1967 compilations of the type that no big bands were ever licenced to. As such I have a surprising knowledge of minor hits by Herman's Hermits, Hollies, Manfred Mann, Peter and Gordon etc. for someone in their 30s. I also know all the words to In The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans and nearly all of them to Honey by Bobby Goldsboro which is the most hideous song ever written by anyone ever.

I started listening to grunge and metal as soon as I hit my teens and still love heavy stuff, but still have a slight weakness for cheesy pop hooks and close vocal harmonies that I think I can blame on that early musical exposure to naff second division sixties pop.
Old 24-09-2017, 05:34 PM

The Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Norwoodsman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet

Last edited by The Norwoodsman; 24-09-2017 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 24-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
My sister mainly, she's 8 years older than me and I used to sneak into her room when I was little and listen to her records - Billie Holliday, Elvis Costello and Tom Waits amongst others. It's not that I listen to them much now, but they certainly influenced me.
Old 24-09-2017, 07:18 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Old 24-09-2017, 07:24 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Certain Pink Floyd tracks take me straight back to lying in the dark in my brother’s bedroom, listening to the whole album together. I don’t think teenagers do that with music now? I guess they’re more likely to play computer games together.

Certain pieces of opera take me straight back to hearing my dad playing them downstairs, loudly competing with our music upstairs.

Surprisingly, we had the same neighbours throughout this time and they never moaned.
Old 24-09-2017, 07:36 PM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Certain Pink Floyd tracks take me straight back to lying in the dark in my brother’s bedroom, listening to the whole album together. I don’t think teenagers do that with music now? I guess they’re more likely to play computer games together.

Certain pieces of opera take me straight back to hearing my dad playing them downstairs, loudly competing with our music upstairs.

Surprisingly, we had the same neighbours throughout this time and they never moaned.
My brother got me to listen to Dark side of the moon on headphones in the dark. I was only about 11. I absolutely shit myself when all those alarm bells started ringing at the start of time. Unbelievable album though.
Old 24-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I like Honey. I don't think you can ever really criticise pop music for being preposterously sentimental unless it fails to pull it off. I don't think that's the case for that song.
Old 24-09-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I like Honey. I don't think you can ever really criticise pop music for being preposterously sentimental unless it fails to pull it off. I don't think that's the case for that song.
I deliberately haven't listened to it for approximately 25 years. Still remember it with a shudder and can't bring myself to even ironically.

I do like loads of naff old shit though, so maybe I'll give it a go next time I'm drunk Youtubing.
Old 24-09-2017, 10:59 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
I think this is lovely.

André Rieu looks disconcertingly like my dentist....
Old 24-09-2017, 11:38 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF View Post
My brother got me to listen to Dark side of the moon on headphones in the dark. I was only about 11. I absolutely shit myself when all those alarm bells started ringing at the start of time. Unbelievable album though.
Yep, in a darkened room was the best/traditional way to appreciate Floyd.

The following sounds made up, but is true. One day our dad had a guy round to improve his stereo. Dad was out when he arrived, so the guy asked my brother to lend him an LP to play, so he could hear what the problem was.

We’d been taught never to play our dad’s records, so brother went upstairs and got his Dark Side of the Moon. He was proud of this new record and wanted to show it off.

The engineer’s face was a picture when all he could hear initially was a heartbeat...he thought the speakers were malfunctioning! He’d never heard anything like it and didn’t know what to make of it all.

So we sheepishly leant him one of dad’s Mozart LPs instead.
Old 25-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
As a kid I listened to a lot of my mum's Andy Williams stuff.

These days - in fact since 1982 - my music god has been Vince Clarke. The way he structures his songs was a massive influence on my own music. He's always emphasised the 'pop' in his music. In fact his favourite song is Video Killed The Radio Star; if you listen to it the music progresses in different ways throughout.

The next in line behind VC for me are Martin Gore and Philip Oakey. Both great songwriters, especially lyrically, and again both had a big influence on my music. I also love that Martin's songs often go in an unexpected direction with note progression - I love being surprised like that.

Another influence lyrically is Paul Simon (in fact another Vince Clarke fave).

In a more general sense just re style of music, both Kraftwerk (especially the Trans-Europe Express, Man Machine and Computer World period 1977-1983) and to a lesser extent Front242 influenced my music in general, but in particular the electronic drum patterns I used to write.

Prince also put different/interesting little things happening throughout his songs. Listen to the various breaks after every line in 1999 for example. I loved that.

The best arrangements for backing vocals for me were Abba. Just listen to them in, for example, Knowing Me Knowing You - I think they're fantastic, almost a different song within the song.

Last edited by JJ; 25-09-2017 at 10:17 AM.