Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

View Poll Results: Red or White Poppy ?
White 14 6.57%
Red 139 65.26%
Both 4 1.88%
Who cares both are fine . 28 13.15%
Moo 28 13.15%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-10-2017, 06:28 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owngoal View Post
Can't wait for the usual James McClean hate campaign when he refuses to wear a poppy on his shirt. Freedom, liberty and equality which so many died for go out the window when it comes to the usual crazies on here
A green poppy.
Old 17-10-2017, 06:28 AM

Bizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBizarro : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Never worn a poppy, won't wear a poppy. I hate the way you're expected to wear one.
Old 17-10-2017, 06:29 AM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddiscombeEagle View Post
Saw fella selling badges outside the ground on Saturday, Palace badge with a poppy.

Don't really get that if I am being honest especially as I am guessing all the money will end up in his pocket rather than the Leigon's.
RBL do "official" poppy & club badges

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Tenim un nom, el sap tothom
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 17-10-2017, 06:30 AM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro View Post
Never worn a poppy, won't wear a poppy. I hate the way you're expected to wear one.
No-one is expected to wear one, apart from people on TV, which I, as a big fan of the British Legion Poppy Appeal, find uncomfortable.
Old 17-10-2017, 06:31 AM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by King William View Post
RBL do "official" poppy & club badges
Link was posted earlier from Brett. I will be buying.
Old 17-10-2017, 06:32 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
I think people forget how the war touched there own families. Ok lets rephrase it ,only now do I realise how much the wars touched my family. Its been built up over the years as I get further into my families history.
Sure as I grew up I learnt about the cousin we lost in a Lancaster, the poppy was always placed on his photo.
However only in recent years have I learnt about the Uncles lost at Galipoli and latter in France in the first world war.
The friends that the family lost in WW2. it was during this time we came across a box from WW1 my Grandmother kept with the cards from a soldier from Sandy in Beds where she lived and where we lived at the time. Turns out he was killed in France and his name is on the war memorial in London Road next to the park, which in a previous time had been our families small holding. So that was how years latter one cold November I laid my red poppy there in memory of a guy I never knew but was my Grandmothers first love.
Now I dont care for war I dont care for death but the guys and girls killed fighting for this country deserve respect, and I dont see the white poppy gives them the respect they earnt.
Sure make your political point but if the only way you can is by tying it in to the respect other wish to pay for fallen friends family in wars they did not want then you have failed and sorry you come over to me as self centred look at me.....

Last edited by N Herts Eagle; 17-10-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 17-10-2017, 06:33 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Who gets the money from white poppy sales?
Well exactly.

Got to be a red poppy - anything else is an insult really. The purpose of the campaign is twofold: remembrance, yes, but to also raise funds to care for veterans. If you don't buy a Legion poppy, you are not contributing to their welfare, however much you want to dress up your own moral take on remembrance.

That said, I do view with distaste the recent upswing in 'poppy nazism'. People or organisations crowbarring poppies onto anyone and anything, however incongruous, is undignified. That fuss last year about the Home Nations wearing poppy transfers for internationals was unnecessary contrived nonsense, and the BBC staplegunning poppies onto presenters' casual shirts is actually risible, when you think about it. And, like Christmas, the campaign starts too early these days. All these things threaten to bring the campaign into disrepute and partly justify the virtue signalling and fashion complaints that some of the white poppy brigade make.

So it's an official Legion red poppy for me, warn on my coat lapel, purchased a fortnight before Remembrance Sunday.
Old 17-10-2017, 06:35 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
And have some of this: £2.99 - let's see if the usual suspects pony up and post a picture of themselves wearing it:

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Marketing lies on that page.

According to the site some people who bought the naff Poppy palace pin also bought a naff palace chelsea pin or a naff palace man united pin.

That is not very likely. I wouldnt be seen dead wearing the palace one......
Old 17-10-2017, 06:37 AM
XXVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE View Post
Well exactly.

Got to be a red poppy - anything else is an insult really. The purpose of the campaign is twofold: remembrance, yes, but to also raise funds to care for veterans. If you don't buy a Legion poppy, you are not contributing to their welfare, however much you want to dress up your own moral take on remembrance.

That said, I do view with distaste the recent upswing in 'poppy nazism'. People or organisations crowbarring poppies onto anyone and anything, however incongruous, is undignified. That fuss last year about the Home Nations wearing poppy transfers for internationals was unnecessary contrived nonsense, and the BBC staplegunning poppies onto presenters' casual shirts is actually risible, when you think about it. And, like Christmas, the campaign starts too early these days. All these things threaten to bring the campaign into disrepute and partly justify the virtue signalling and fashion complaints that some of the white poppy brigade make.

So it's an official Legion red poppy for me, warn on my coat lapel, purchased a fortnight before Remembrance Sunday.
Top post.
Old 17-10-2017, 06:38 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

DANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
And have some of this: £2.99 - let's see if the usual suspects pony up and post a picture of themselves wearing it:

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Perhaps I owe the seller in Holmesdale Road an apology.

But my word, what a classless item. Why on earth would anyone - let alone the RBL - want to conflate remembrance with football support, I do not know. The very notion is hideous.

Do you reckon they do Star Wars ones?
Old 17-10-2017, 06:38 AM

It is a shame that it is the official British Legion shop page. They even have a glitter one for the feckless generation. If that generation had realised what zombies 2017 would produce they might not have bothered with the ultimate sacrifice.
Old 17-10-2017, 06:42 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

**** me, they do dog blankets: To view the link you have to Register or Login.

(Though I note it has red and white poppies on. Maybe the RBL are appropriating white poppies for their campaign!)
Old 17-10-2017, 06:49 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Perhaps I owe the seller in Holmesdale Road an apology.

But my word, what a classless item. Why on earth would anyone - let alone the RBL - want to conflate remembrance with football support, I do not know. The very notion is hideous.

Do you reckon they do Star Wars ones?
Because......dont forget the players that died in WW1 or WW2 if you look on here you will find the thread. No to me its how many fans that watched a no hope third division side that set a family tradition of support in train or kept it going died. Never saw Johnny Bryne there side in Division One ,my Grandad did in his extended family his age there are at least two that did not.
Around SE London a number of civilians who no doubt were fans were also killed in WW". If just one of those brings that thought home to some fan then its achieved the purpose
Old 17-10-2017, 06:56 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
Because......dont forget the players that died in WW1 or WW2 if you look on here you will find the thread. No to me its how many fans that watched a no hope third division side that set a family tradition of support in train or kept it going died. Never saw Johnny Bryne there side in Division One ,my Grandad did in his extended family his age there are at least two that did not.
Around SE London a number of civilians who no doubt were fans were also killed in WW". If just one of those brings that thought home to some fan then its achieved the purpose
I'm sorry, but that level of identification - with particular football clubs - is superfluous. It's actually kind of insulting to others, by implication: my club's dead supporters are better than your club's dead supporters. War and its effects utterly transcends sport and all the attendant rivalries. It's insulting to even compare them.

No, the RBL poppy is enough. We don't need to know the fallen's hobbies to commemorate them.
Old 17-10-2017, 07:01 AM
XXVII

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that level of identification - with particular football clubs - is superfluous. It's actually kind of insulting to others, by implication: my club's dead supporters are better than your club's dead supporters. War and its effects utterly transcends sport and all the attendant rivalries. It's insulting to even compare them.

No, the RBL poppy is enough. We don't need to know the fallen's hobbies to commemorate them.
Good post. I will still buy one though.
Old 17-10-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:

There is a massive part of me that totally agrees with what you say.
Just it was the point I was trying to make earlier I am of a generation that can remember the generations affected by the first and second world wars, just maybe my kids can with the grandparents in WW2. But my grandkids will have no knowledge no recollection no person to tie back too, if the naff badge does that helps them to relate in some way then it serves a purpose.
Old 17-10-2017, 07:03 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
Top post.
Yes.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 17-10-2017, 07:03 AM
XXVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
There is a massive part of me that totally agrees with what you say.
Just it was the point I was trying to make earlier I am of a generation that can remember the generations affected by the first and second world wars, just maybe my kids can with the grandparents in WW2. But my grandkids will have no knowledge no recollection no person to tie back too, if the naff badge does that helps them to relate in some way then it serves a purpose.
Another good post.
Old 17-10-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
Good post. I will still buy one though.
It can go in your naff cabinet with the wind up hopping plastic penis.
Old 17-10-2017, 07:05 AM
XXVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
It can go in your naff cabinet with the wind up hopping plastic penis.
Eh?